ReefCleaners.org

AI Prime discussion

Wretched

aviator300

like that of a fine violin maker

Just curious why you wouldn't buy a XR30w Gen2 for that price ($575)

Is the quality of the NanoBox that good? I have never seen them in person, but didn't think anything in the LED market is a match for the ExoTech/AquaIllumination monopoly

Do you want your light to be built by minimally trained individuals overseas (Ecotech/AI) or by the owner of a company who developed and hand builds every single light himself (NanoBox). The quality is like that of a fine violin maker vs people who know very little about electronics and are just trained to do the job after they are hired (it's called mass production).

AI Service

Do you want your light to be built by minimally trained individuals overseas (Ecotech/AI) or by the owner of a company who developed and hand builds every single light himself (NanoBox). The quality is like that of a fine violin maker vs people who know very little about electronics and are just trained to do the job after they are hired (it's called mass production).

While I understand that you may have the perception that AI products are mass-produced, this comment and your general sentiment about AI couldn't be further from the truth.

My boss, the owner of AI, Chris Clough, literally built this company from scratch as a college student using his own skills designing and manufacturing circuit boards and mechanical components. Over the years the company has grown as a result of its success and we now have a fully staffed circuit board assembly line, CNC equipment, as well as general assembly lines. I have tremendous respect for Dave at Nanobox because he reminds me of my boss. These two companies are simply two American success stories at different stages in their growth. AI products are built right here in Iowa by a caring and thoughtful staff.

Take a look at this video before thinking things like we are staffed with people who "know very little about electronics." Every image in this video was taken from our USA facility in Ames, Iowa. I am quite proud of our company.

• Like 2

While I understand that you may have the perception that AI products are mass-produced, this comment and your general sentiment about AI couldn't be further from the truth.

My boss, the owner of AI, Chris Clough, literally built this company from scratch as a college student using his own skills designing and manufacturing circuit boards and mechanical components. Over the years the company has grown as a result of its success and we now have a fully staffed circuit board assembly line, CNC equipment, as well as general assembly lines. I have tremendous respect for Dave at Nanobox because he reminds me of my boss. These two companies are simply two American success stories at different stages in their growth. AI products are built right here in Iowa by a caring and thoughtful staff.

Take a look at this video before thinking things like we are staffed with people who "know very little about electronics." Every image in this video was taken from our USA facility in Ames, Iowa. I am quite proud of our company.

AI Service - Don't pay any attention to Aviator. I've yet to see any informed posts from this gentleman.

AI/Ecotech and Nanobox are all great companies and lights in their own right. Saying that AI/Ecotech are made by people who "know very little about electronics" is like saying "grass isn't green." It just doesn't make an ounce of sense.

• Like 1

I sell red grass at work sometimes. Just sayin'.

Ai service: One of your customer service reps needs a crash course on part measurements. Their service ticket response indicated that they thought par drops linearly instead of following the inverse square law. That video was awesome though.

• Like 1

I sell red grass at work sometimes. Just sayin'.

Ai service: One of your customer service reps needs a crash course on part measurements. Their service ticket response indicated that they thought par drops linearly instead of following the inverse square law. That video was awesome though.

I KNEW someone would try and be a smartass. lol

I have 2 Primes being delivered tomorrow. Going to open one up and give it a spin but probably going to be sending it right back. I placed my order when they were "500 Par" and literally 48 hours later everything started to update to 260. I feel duped.

There is no way that kind of documentation doesn't get caught, let alone run with it for months. I mean the Hydra 26 peaks at ~500 PAR with double the LEDs and wattage. Internally they didn't say "let's run that test again, something isn't right...". If it was like a 25% reduction, I could see being an honest mistake but 50%. And no flags were raised until AFTER release?

I am now leaning toward a Nano Box unit. Now just need to research them a bit more.

I have no doubt the Prime is a quality light and even at a lower output, has an awesome niche in the market...

• Like 2
aviator300

AI Service - Don't pay any attention to Aviator. I've yet to see any informed posts from this gentleman.

No need to speak for me mr braaap and Horerczy has a good point about the AI rep. Also, i'm going to resist the urge to verbally spank you for attempting to apologize for my opinion about AI because i refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man..

Now, now.

Lets not fight. This is nanoreef. We're better than that. Unlike certain other unnamed forums that are out there. ;)

• Like 1

No need to speak for me mr braaap and Horerczy has a good point about the AI rep. Also, i'm going to resist the urge to verbally spank you for attempting to apologize for my opinion about AI because i refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man..

Dear god you are such a small child. Uneducated people join the ignore list. Off you go.

• Like 3

What the hell is going on?

I have 2 Primes being delivered tomorrow. Going to open one up and give it a spin but probably going to be sending it right back. I placed my order when they were "500 Par" and literally 48 hours later everything started to update to 260. I feel duped.

There is no way that kind of documentation doesn't get caught, let alone run with it for months. I mean the Hydra 26 peaks at ~500 PAR with double the LEDs and wattage. Internally they didn't say "let's run that test again, something isn't right...". If it was like a 25% reduction, I could see being an honest mistake but 50%. And no flags were raised until AFTER release?

I am now leaning toward a Nano Box unit. Now just need to research them a bit more.

I have no doubt the Prime is a quality light and even at a lower output, has an awesome niche in the market...

That's exactly what I said to a friend of mine, there is no way this was an honest mistake, there just isn't.

What the hell is going on?

Well, it's now a discussion about radions and some jokers complaining about AI as a company. I vote this thread to be closed..

• Like 2

Here is my take on the light, as bummed as I am on the numbers and the fact that they changed the numbers. For a nice looking light which is wifi out of the box, the price is perfect. I've honestly never been into manufactured light but as far as I know radions aren't wifi from the box, the xr15 pro is what, $400+, then you still have to buy a mount $100 so all in all these primes are a great option for the price.

• Like 1

The Prime is a great light. But it is limited. I'm not sure you can compare it to an XR15 power wise. But function wise you sure can. For a $230 light with mount it will work very well on a say 16x16 cube. Obviously limited on coral placement. It's a good little light out of the package.

I think everyone here can agree that the comment about AI not knowing electronics is just pure stupidity. They are a major innovator in the LED world. Fairly certain they know what they are doing. That is the last I'll say in that.

• Like 2

I wish AI didn't use cool whites, reds and greens but honestly, there really aren't that many people in the reef hobby who realize what a waste reds and cool whites are, and I mean the whole reef community as a whole so ofcourse they're going to add what most people want. If they made lights with neutral whites, limes and cyans people would think they're nuts.

aviator300

The Prime is a great light. But it is limited. I'm not sure you can compare it to an XR15 power wise. But function wise you sure can. For a $230 light with mount it will work very well on a say 16x16 cube. Obviously limited on coral placement. It's a good little light out of the package.

I think everyone here can agree that the comment about AI not knowing electronics is just pure stupidity. They are a major innovator in the LED world. Fairly certain they know what they are doing. That is the last I'll say in that.

Promise?

This guy has his sights on you Braaap lol. The hell did you do to this guy?

Who? That aviator clown? I ignored him already. I only deal with those that make somewhat educated arguments or statements. I've been watching him going around trying to troll for about a week now.

aviator300

Dear god you are such a small child. Uneducated people join the ignore list. Off you go.

I wish i were a small child so i'd have another chance at doing life right.

I just reread aviators post about AI not knowing anything about electronics but I kind of get what he means, the people who assemble these probably don't know jack shit about the lights, the hobby other than the one job they were trained to do whereas Dave knows his product inside and out and has vast knowledge in everything he does. Other than that I still think this aviator guy is sort of a d*ckhead and is probably just trolling so its sort of funny and kind of sad because this isn't the lounge.

nismo_sky32

I wish AI didn't use cool whites, reds and greens but honestly, there really aren't that many people in the reef hobby who realize what a waste reds and cool whites are, and I mean the whole reef community as a whole so ofcourse they're going to add what most people want. If they made lights with neutral whites, limes and cyans people would think they're nuts.

Totally agree with this. I knew nothing about led until about a year ago and now that I'm learning, if they used neutral or even warm whites, cyan and lime, this light would be unbeatable at the price point.

HarryPotter

Please, lets be better than this and handle ourselves in a civil manner.

​I am 17, yet am repulsed by the language, rudeness, and immaturity that is present here. C'mon; stick to a discussion and argument. Personal insults are NOT necessary.

Yes, Nano-Box LEDs are awesome and I hope to get one eventually. They look beautiful, and I've seen the amazing growth that has been observed while utilizing them.

However, that does not mean that Ecotech or AquaIllumination lights are inferior or of lesser quality. I have both a Radion Pro and two Hydra 52s on my tanks, and they are one of the best lights I have owned.

Both companies (Now merged apparently, which is exciting) have great quality and remarkable customer service, and I assume Nano-Box is the same given the reviews.

Random example: After having the original AI Sol for three years, I spilled water on it during a water change and sent it in for repair. Expecting to pay a big bill, no? However, they replaced it with a AI Hydra for free because the replacement parts were not in stock. It is silly to generalize with your personal biases that lack personal experience with the actual products.

I have seen reviews of all these companies, and although many people have personal preferences, there is no "Ultimate" fixture that fits everyones needs.

AI Service, I appreciate your patience and post, the video was great. I have first hand experience with the AI Sol, Hydra, Hydra 52, and AI Nano, and they are all great lights. Your customer service is awesome- upgrading my unit when a part was out of stock, sending me free screws for the light mount after I lost it, etc.

To summarize, nano-reef members please stop this childish name-calling/tantrum behavior. It is not fair to say that any one of these companies is "bad", and there are THOUSANDS of aquariums that will make you look silly if you attempt to generalize like that. Yes, we all have personal preferences- but lets keep it calm and discuss them.

• Like 2