Coral Vue Hydros

AI Prime discussion

Wretched

Also, not all the mounts were affected.. My mount was perfect. All I had to do was turn around the moon-shaped bracket to fix the drooping. Now I can angle it anyway I want without problems.

• Like 1
tjwaggoner

I'm not worried about the mount issues. I'm sure they will make that right for customers. And I should mention that one of the reasons I was leaning toward the prime was to buy locally from my LFS (with online shopping it's hard to justify larger purchases locally sometimes).

If I would have caught Dave selling the duo with the flaw during his garage sale on the classified board I would probably have bought it. And may still look for a used one. I just don't like the weeks long lead time personally. But not ruling it out certainly. I like to support small business whenever I can. And his product from most reviews is top of the line. The radion in my eyes is a safe fall back option that I don't think I could go wrong with and there are many on the used market which makes it more accessible were I to go that route. Lots of options for good lighting and that's a great thing for all of us. I may shoot Dave a message and ask if he has any duos laying around ready to go.

aviator300

I'm not worried about the mount issues. I'm sure they will make that right for customers. And I should mention that one of the reasons I was leaning toward the prime was to buy locally from my LFS (with online shopping it's hard to justify larger purchases locally sometimes).

If I would have caught Dave selling the duo with the flaw during his garage sale on the classified board I would probably have bought it. And may still look for a used one. I just don't like the weeks long lead time personally. But not ruling it out certainly. I like to support small business whenever I can. And his product from most reviews is top of the line. The radion in my eyes is a safe fall back option that I don't think I could go wrong with and there are many on the used market which makes it more accessible were I to go that route. Lots of options for good lighting and that's a great thing for all of us. I may shoot Dave a message and ask if he has any duos laying around ready to go.

I recently ordered a custom built Duo from Dave and from order date to arrival date was only 2 weeks including the time in shipping. I think the days of waiting multiple weeks for a Nano Box are over..

tjwaggoner

And that's perfectly fine for a custom made light, but 2 weeks can seem like 2 years for someone who's impatient as I am ?. But in reality my new tank won't even be light ready in two weeks from when I get it (suppose to arrive today). But tinkering with plumbing and wiring is different than waiting on a package. I won't let that keep me from ordering one but I'd be lying if I said it didn't play into my decision at all.

• Like 1
tjwaggoner

Well I sent Dave a message, I do like his lights. Like that he's a small business also. Still talking about it, he thinks a quad would be needed to keep anything anywhere in my tank so I'm definitely thinking hard about coral placement restrictions now and what I will have to live with

A quad over a 20x20x20? When I asked him about a 20x15x20 he said a duo should be more than enough. Now I understand yours is 5" wider but the extra pucks are lengthwise so the extra 5" on yours should matter.

aviator300

And that's perfectly fine for a custom made light, but 2 weeks can seem like 2 years for someone who's impatient as I am . But in reality my new tank won't even be light ready in two weeks from when I get it (suppose to arrive today). But tinkering with plumbing and wiring is different than waiting on a package. I won't let that keep me from ordering one but I'd be lying if I said it didn't play into my decision at all.

"All good things come to those who wait" Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the lambs,

• Like 1
tjwaggoner

Yeah it seems like a lot of light to me too. It's a 24x20x20 but I'm not planning on growing sps in the sand against the glass so my gut tells me a duo would be good (I think it will look better above the tank too).

As for good things coming to those who wait...it's hard to argue with dr lecter, but I'm crazy impatient once I decide what I want. I want it yesterday. I can't help it. It's a character flaw I know. But I'm honest about it lol

I'm the same way man. Which is why I end up redoing things, I bought the prime because I could drive to the fish store a take it home the same day.

tjwaggoner

I think I want the duo, now if he happens to already have one ready to go that would be sweet. He has a good deal on a quad ready to roll right now but I think that would be overkill for my tank. Maybe if I was going full bore sps top to bottom and side to side but I like a mixed type reef so I think I can live with a few coral placement restrictions.

$475 plus controller. So $575 with bluefish mini. Decent discount over a new one. And it does have the v3 arrays.

Just read the previous convo, I still have the lights over tank and still loving them. My SPS(I only have a couple as mentioned) are high though, so I can answer that question. I am still not 100% intensity (@ 85% max) and I have a similar tank to yours, I may keep the settings at what they are... As far as spread two of these units would be best. I also had the radion xr15 on mind, but my selling points was... 2 units cost less than 1 xr15, the spread wouldn't work for our tanks, having two units makes the tank light up great. Still haven't got any par numbers but my coral are diggin' it.

HarryPotter

Just curious why you wouldn't buy a XR30w Gen2 for that price ($575)

Is the quality of the NanoBox that good? I have never seen them in person, but didn't think anything in the LED market is a match for the ExoTech/AquaIllumination monopoly

Here's some updated photos of the tank, still looking good!

28uhfmu.jpg

Have to show off my baby tang as well. She's hard to get a picture of!

24loc5u.jpg

HarryPotter

Here's some updated photos of the tank, still looking good!

28uhfmu.jpg

Have to show off my baby tang as well. She's hard to get a picture of!

24loc5u.jpg

Beautiful tank! All huge colonies and freaking beautiful!

What size/brand tank is that? It reminds me of the JBJ RL-45 with the curved corners :)

• Like 1

Beautiful tank! All huge colonies and freaking beautiful!

What size/brand tank is that? It reminds me of the JBJ RL-45 with the curved corners :)

Thanks a lot! I've had all of them since 1-2 head frags. The leather started at a 3" frag, 2 years later there you have it! That's because you're correct, my tank is the JBJ 45RL =) Love the tank... and curved glass is amazing.

Just curious why you wouldn't buy a XR30w Gen2 for that price ($575)

Is the quality of the NanoBox that good? I have never seen them in person, but didn't think anything in the LED market is a match for the ExoTech/AquaIllumination monopoly

The quad has better coverage than the xr30.

The led choices are better as well, more efficient and better spectrum on the whites. Though you do lose the ability to tune every color individually.

Just depends on what you're looking for.

HarryPotter

Thanks a lot! I've had all of them since 1-2 head frags. The leather started at a 3" frag, 2 years later there you have it! That's because you're correct, my tank is the JBJ 45RL =) Love the tank... and curved glass is amazing.

OMG im so excited- my JBJ RL-45 is arriving this week! Do you have a build thread? Im curious on your setup, since obviously you're doing something right!

:wub::wub:

The quad has better coverage than the xr30.

Except it doesn't. The quad readings are on a 30" x18" tank. The XR30 with Wide TIR lenses are on a 48x48 area. With the standard TIR lenses the PAR is a dead heat.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think I am. Not saying anything bad about the nano box. GREAT lights for sure.

HarryPotter

Except it doesn't. The quad readings are on a 30" x18" tank. The XR30 with Wide TIR lenses are on a 48x48 area. With the standard TIR lenses the PAR is a dead heat.

Yeah I was going to say that but didn't want to correct someone older than me

:unsure: To self-conscious :unsure:

Im definitely going to be using the Radion XR30w Pro, and may pick up the wide angle lenses. Mine are pretty filthy anyway :lol:

Yeah I was going to say that but didn't want to correct someone older than me

:unsure: To self-conscious :unsure:

Im definitely going to be using the Radion XR30w Pro, and may pick up the wide angle lenses. Mine are pretty filthy anyway :lol:

It isn't correcting. It is discussing. I might be wrong. I've never owned a nanobox. If I am wrong I hope someone tells me. I was just using the information I had available via their websites and some personal experience with a Radion.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think I am. Not saying anything bad about the nano box. GREAT lights for sure.

If a XR30 covers a 48x48 area with 120° tir lenses then why does a XR15 only cover 24" diameter circle with the 120° lens?

I've seen the literature that supports your claim which got it's information from the same source I did. Ecotech Marine.

Between the two I'd have to say the xr15 information is a bit more honest. With that in mind the xr30 would cover an area closer to 30x24 oval of a sort.

So on a flat surface sure the xr30 will have very similar spread to a quad. However, rock scapes are not flat surfaces. In this the quad has the advantage of four pucks allowing more distributed coverage over the two pucks of a xr30.

So in the end the question of which light has the better spread is yes.

Just found out something odd with the prime.. I've been using the lunar mode and set the hours beween 11:30pm to 3am but it actually affected the light during the whole 24 hour program cycle!

I was playing with manual mode and I didn't understand how the light was actually at least 3-4 times brighter in that mode than my auto mode.. Turned off Lunar, and BAM, light back to it's normal percentages. I've been using this light at 10-20% on mostly all channels for a week now and didn't even realize it.. No wonder I was beginning to think this thing is not nearly as bright as my par38 lights!

Give this a try folks. Turn off lunar mode.