Pod Your Reef

••Jr's PicoAquariums 15g Bommie Reef••

JR!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is that?

Why are AAs not needed? Acropora tanks are the traditional users, my transhipper uses it on his LPS tanks, but LPS are pigs, they show polyp extension easily. As for zoas, I found that too much promoted a very fine algae mat in between the polyps which was annoying. If there are a lot of corals there may be a reason to use AA,s but I'm looking at JRs tank and I don't see anything that needs anything supplementing it right now.

jedimasterben

you want T5i, not T5. T5 has a lot less features.

this.

Or get the SL1. It can be had for cheaper and there are very few differences, besides the SL1 being much lighter and smaller. I just got a brand new kit (camera, battery, charger, 18-55mm STM lens) for $345.

Why are AAs not needed? Acropora tanks are the traditional users, my transhipper uses it on his LPS tanks, but LPS are pigs, they show polyp extension easily. As for zoas, I found that too much promoted a very fine algae mat in between the polyps which was annoying. If there are a lot of corals there may be a reason to use AA,s but I'm looking at JRs tank and I don't see anything that needs anything supplementing it right now.

Right on. Pretty much what I needed to hear. Thanks kat.

you want T5i, not T5. T5 has a lot less features.

Thanks man. Been looking into getting something better then this nex-3
jedimasterben

I agree that there are not a lot of corals, but why would the corals currently in the tank not benefit from their addition if, in the future, they would benefit? This is not something that is quite the same as, say, calcium or alkalinity, where more coral mass would deplete more of them much faster, this is something that isn't really present in the water column at all.

I agree that there are not a lot of corals, but why would the corals currently in the tank not benefit from their addition if, in the future, they would benefit? This is not something that is quite the same as, say, calcium or alkalinity, where more coral mass would deplete more of them much faster, this is something that isn't really present in the water column at all.

Knowing you Benny, AKA encyclopedia, you are speaking from a lot of research and reading, I'm speaking as a user. Too much means it's not being used, it's making algae. It comes with dosing guidelines, but that is assuming the tank has corals that could benefit from it. And while the few in this tank could, the excess would do what?

jedimasterben

Knowing you Benny, AKA encyclopedia, you are speaking from a lot of research and reading, I'm speaking as a user. Too much means it's not being used, it's making algae. It comes with dosing guidelines, but that is assuming the tank has corals that could benefit from it. And while the few in this tank could, the excess would do what?

So you're saying that no one can deviate from the dosage on the bottle?

jedimasterben

Where did I say that

Too much means it's not being used, it's making algae. It comes with dosing guidelines, but that is assuming the tank has corals that could benefit from it. And while the few in this tank could, the excess would do what?

Why would there be excess unless the dosage was not adjusted? (really, there is an excess no matter what, as almost everything that is dosed is pulled out by the skimmer and never goes near a coral)

Right on. Pretty much what I needed to hear. Thanks kat.

Thanks man. Been looking into getting something better then this nex-3

I am a Sony nerd but I really like the A6000 series. Plus you can get the A6000 on the cheap due to the new one out. Pair that with there 50 1.8 or ball out on the 24 1.8.

-D

Why would there be excess unless the dosage was not adjusted? (really, there is an excess no matter what, as almost everything that is dosed is pulled out by the skimmer and never goes near a coral)

You'll help JR adjust the dose then?

:slap:

jedimasterben

You'll help JR adjust the dose then?:slap:

I'm pretty sure he understands basic math lol. These products really only exist to elicit polyp extension, and it doesn't take much to do that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So how's that aquamaxx skimmer treating ya? I was planning to get one for my 35 gallon.

loved it when i had it. best skimmer ive used yet, just to big for what i have.

loved it when i had it. best skimmer ive used yet, just to big for what i have.

Thanks for the reply. I already went ahead and bought it for my 44 gallon. It's super quiet!

Archived