ReefCleaners.org

18 Gallon (36"x10"x12") 'Thru the Bottom'

k427

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just stay on top of water changes, and you'll be fine.

Looks KILLER!

Thanks, I just did a 50% change and will do another one in a few days. Small tanks are awesome when having to WC!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

Going through a bit of a diatom issue so I added some cowries, a hermit.

And these two guys.

Potter's Angel:

Sa46KRD.jpg

BiColor Blenny:

HxuytUi.jpg

I missed this one! Just went through the thread - great build.

Solid work.

Love that new Angel.

I may have missed it but what kind of lighting are you running on this?

I missed this one! Just went through the thread - great build.

Solid work.

Love that new Angel.

I may have missed it but what kind of lighting are you running on this?

Yeah! I got him for $15! The lfs had a 3-4" for $25, too big for my current tank :(

Similar to this but with CREEs http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3W-CREE-LED-Aquarium-Light-3feet-36-no-fans-for-coral-reef-fish-Aquatics/880991677.html

Just read through the whole thread, really awesome design and even better execution! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Wow what a clean build. Love it!

Such a beautiful Angel.

Just read through the whole thread, really awesome design and even better execution! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks guys.

tristan, I'm planning to do a 150-200 gallon with the same concept. More recators, maybe tumble cheato in one and a couple with LR. Possibly a external skimmer though I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks guys.

tristan, I'm planning to do a 150-200 gallon with the same concept. More recators, maybe tumble cheato in one and a couple with LR. Possibly a external skimmer though I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Neat. When do you plan on starting that build? :lol:

With the attention to detail you have built your 18g with I have no doubt the big one will be just as nice.

Neat. When do you plan on starting that build? :lol:

Now. Well the research and locating the right stand. Probably will build it of of bubinga or another hardwood. I'm in no rush just know I want to do it. Probably will get wet a year from now.

With the attention to detail you have built your 18g with I have no doubt the big one will be just as nice.

Thanks. The next tank will be a lot more deliberate. This one I knew what I wanted to do but kind of just improvised the plumbing and hole locations.

Those green paly's (first shot) spread like a disease.

Just an fyi, when it comes to placement.

They're in the middle of the sand bed so it shouldn't be a problem. They haven't fully opened yet, do you know how long it usually takes from placing in a new tank?

i freaking love potter's angels. my next tank will have one.

tank is looking pretty cool! loving the pics!

Thanks, I'm going to try and pick up another tiny juvenile this week.

pismo_reefer

They're in the middle of the sand bed so it shouldn't be a problem.

They haven't fully opened yet, do you know how long it usually takes from placing in a new tank?

Ime, healthy polyps open fully in 1-7 days... In an ideal tank.

"Ideal" being the same exact parameters as its previous tank.

The range of adjustment varies due to parameter shift.

Especially Salinity and Nitrate.

Foods in the water encourage new corals to open faster,

Amino Acid's in the food trigger a feeding response.

Causing the polyp to open, ingest the water and fatty acids, and acclimate faster.

You pretty much can't kill those polyps.

But, keep them healthy and they'll spread fast.

Also, they get iridescent green and have really long skirts.

PS:

Dont feed them until the skirts grow.

Once they have skirts, they'll eat Mysis readily.

Before the skirts, they just take the food in and regurgitate it.

Which makes a nitrate bomb, covered in Palythoa Xooanthallae.

Ime, healthy polyps open fully in 1-7 days... In an ideal tank.

"Ideal" being the same exact parameters as its previous tank.

The range of adjustment varies due to parameter shift.

Especially Salinity and Nitrate.

Foods in the water encourage new corals to open faster,

Amino Acid's in the food trigger a feeding response.

Causing the polyp to open, ingest the water and fatty acids, and acclimate faster.

You pretty much can't kill those polyps.

But, keep them healthy and they'll spread fast.

Also, they get iridescent green and have really long skirts.

PS:

Dont feed them until the skirts grow.

Once they have skirts, they'll eat Mysis readily.

Before the skirts, they just take the food in and regurgitate it.

Which makes a nitrate bomb, covered in Palythoa Xooanthallae.

Thanks for the info.

What do you suggest I feed before I see the skirts?

The food I rotate and feed now:

New life spectrum pellets

Frozen Brine

Frozen Mysis

BRS Reef Chili

Kalanianaole

Just read through the thread. You get the highest of fives for fresh thinking and attention to detail. Here's a formal request for more pictures and a video, I'd love to see how the flow looks from the bottom returns.

With such a young tank, how are colors holding up on the SPS? I love that you've got sevearl of the same species scattered around the tank, since it mimics the biodiversity of what reefs actually look like. Also, since it's not super old, how are you making sure the urchin as enough to eat?

Have you considered dosing amino acids or other supplements since it is so young and you're starting corals this soon? I've just started using Zeovit's Nano Pack (includes AAs) on my five gallon (it's about the same age as yours) after SPS that were introduced browned out quite a bit. Coloration has picked back up and things are visibly healthier. I appreciate these supplements because they don't require being on the entire Zeovit system to be effective.Check out this page of the Zeovit thread.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Just read through the thread. You get the highest of fives for fresh thinking and attention to detail. Here's a formal request for more pictures and a video, I'd love to see how the flow looks from the bottom returns.

With such a young tank, how are colors holding up on the SPS? I love that you've got sevearl of the same species scattered around the tank, since it mimics the biodiversity of what reefs actually look like. Also, since it's not super old, how are you making sure the urchin as enough to eat?

Have you considered dosing amino acids or other supplements since it is so young and you're starting corals this soon? I've just started using Zeovit's Nano Pack (includes AAs) on my five gallon (it's about the same age as yours) after SPS that were introduced browned out quite a bit. Coloration has picked back up and things are visibly healthier. I appreciate these supplements because they don't require being on the entire Zeovit system to be effective.Check out this page of the Zeovit thread.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Thanks for the comments. I'm planning to change the aquascape this weekend and I'll update with pictures and hopefully a video of the flow. As for the flow, my tank is at work so I will adjust it throughout the day and change the majority of the flow from side to side to keep it inconsistent.

Archived