Top Shelf Aquatics

18 Gallon (36"x10"x12") 'Thru the Bottom'

k427

So I've got a depressing update. I introduce a fish with ich and it destroyed the others. Because I didn't have a quarantine tank, and I read all medicine is useless when having inverts in the tank, I found homes for them as quickly as possible. That said, I immediately went to the store and got a 10gal tank to quarantine all my future fish. I'm now going to fallow my tank for a couple months with inverts only while the ich dies off. It was a difficult lesson but I'm glad I learned it now rather than later. The redeeming fact is that since I was moving the tank home from my office I was worried about the fish, that became a nonissue. heh.

Oh and I rescaped the rock.

Here's the current FTS and some other pictures.

fqunyFH.jpg

System: Need to hang the light and get a curtain to hide the filtration and quarantine.

FV0WxeA.jpg

I don't get it but these guys are bright florescent orange under just the blue light.

sqizPHJ.jpg

He stole the shell and killed the previous occupant.

nWN8jsB.jpg

Zoas:

mIuwXjj.jpg

EsBaLaw.jpg

Other news, can someone ID this? They're about 1mm long and on the glass:KUwEMq8.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great tank! sorry to hear about your ich, been there, now I QT everything for 6 weeks including inverts and corals. I love the dimensions of your tank, is it custom made? I wish mine is a bit larger in width, 8.5" is too narrow to work with.

Great tank! sorry to hear about your ich, been there, now I QT everything for 6 weeks including inverts and corals. I love the dimensions of your tank, is it custom made? I wish mine is a bit larger in width, 8.5" is too narrow to work with.

Thanks. I'm following suit and will be qting too.

Yes, it's custom. The Mr. Aqua seemed a little small so I ordered the glass and built this one. Next one I want to build is a 48x48x24

48x48x24 would be awesome. I've been thinking about my next tank and I think what I'll end up doing is 36x16x10 or thereabouts.

I really love the way you pulled off the closed loop, that is really cool.

• 2 weeks later...

48x48x24 would be awesome. I've been thinking about my next tank and I think what I'll end up doing is 36x16x10 or thereabouts.

I really love the way you pulled off the closed loop, that is really cool.

Thanks, It's worked out really well so far. Being my first tank I'm surprised how easy the maintenance is.

Really love the clean look. If I ever get the chance to build my own tank I might use your approach. Until then I'm following to watch this tank mature.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

what happened to the old rock and coral?

Donated to someone else's tank.

• 4 months later...

Cool design dude! I also had that same light early on. How have you been liking it?

It was already mentioned but the only thing I see being an issue with this design is the water pouring out of the canisters each time you unscrew them. You just have open and close a lot of valves each time you want to make a change.

• 3 weeks later...

great build, any updates?

how did you seal the cable hole with the heater reactor?

I used a weather tight fitting for outdoor junction boxes in electrical work. And thanks, its still chugging* along.

And where did you get a reactor that massive?

That reactor came from BRS. I was also surprised with the size but was a requirement for the heater.

Cool design dude! I also had that same light early on. How have you been liking it?

It was already mentioned but the only thing I see being an issue with this design is the water pouring out of the canisters each time you unscrew them. You just have open and close a lot of valves each time you want to make a change.

I like the light, still havent hung it but it works great. Zoas are multiplying each week. I put a 5gal bucket under the reactors before I change them, its a bit of a hassle but I'll manage. Its given me a good learning experience for my next build at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Great build! Thanks for sharing. I'll be following along from this point on. Curious what your design for the bigger tank will be. I just added a new Coral Beauty that ended up with ich that has now died. None of the other fish seem to be showing signs (yet). I will be QTing any new fish from now on too.

Why did you get rid of the coral?

Archived