Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

18 Gallon (36"x10"x12") 'Thru the Bottom'

k427

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks really good. Your plumbing looks well planned out and I like that you used clear primer instead of the purple stuff keeps it nice and clean.

Thanks but I didn't bother with primer. There's no pressure after all.

Thanks but I didn't bother with primer. There's no pressure after all.

There will be plenty of pressure, any water above the fittings will cause pressure (the whole tank full).

There will be plenty of pressure, any water above the fittings will cause pressure (the whole tank full).

I meant more that there is very little considering sch40 1" has an operating pressure of 250psi+. I think the head pressure is less than a psi. The pump will add some pressure but since the impellers aren't sealed it will add very little in comparison (maybe 5psi). Because of this minimal pressure I don't think the primer is necessary.

The purpose of the primer is to remove any contaminants (dirt and oils) and help 'soften' the plastic so the weld between the two pieces penetrates deeper for maximum strength. Without primer the weld is still very strong but is not as strong as it could be if prepped with primer.

I got some sand in. I'll try to get to the rock tomorrow so the cycle can start. It's now getting fun. A member at another forum suggested I try no loc-line attachments and output the water straight up. It's a lot cleaner of a look so I hope it works well. Got to get that light hung too.

2NpKu4a.png

I've read mixed opinions on cycling with and without fish. I decided to put in a clownfish while the tank cycles. I know it might not be recommended but with frequent (every other day) water changes it should work out fine. I still have some rocks to move around to hide those grates but I'm happy for the most part.

Here's a FTS and a more specific picture of the filtration.

zsUDJx2.jpg

b53JXkT.png

Ultra cool concept, who needs a sump when you can load up on reactors. You should add another large one to tumble cheato, now that would be cool.

Ultra cool concept, who needs a sump when you can load up on reactors. You should add another large one to tumble cheato, now that would be cool.

That's a great idea. I have that extra one but i don't think the larger canister would fit on it. I'm planning a 200gal with the same design and I'll definitely add that to the mix with a little light. Thanks!

I'm also thinking of adding in an external protein skimmer with a self cleaning head. I don't know how those really work though (the external skimmer) and if you can have them in a closed system like this.

Does the suction of the closed loop ever pull in sand? Do you have any form of screen over it to prevent this? If it pulls in sand it might be a problem.

Mr. Microscope

Very interesting tank. Completely unique design. Looking forward to more on this tank as is progresses. Good luck and :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Does the suction of the closed loop ever pull in sand? Do you have any form of screen over it to prevent this? If it pulls in sand it might be a problem.

It did when I turned the pump on at first but it was only a minimal amount, now no sand goes down it. This is the only tank I've had so I don't know how it compares to a traditional over flow, but the suction at the bottom seems to clean the suspended debris in the water column faster than a overflow would. If at all, I would imagine all the debris that doesn't float in a overflow system eventually falls to the sand.

Very interesting tank. Completely unique design. Looking forward to more on this tank as is progresses. Good luck and :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Thanks, I hope it turns out well and can help others pursue unconventional designs.

I may have missed this but any concern with fish or inverts going down the pipes?

The two outs of the tanks are the ones with grates too small for anything to get sucked in, all the others are ins to the tank with water flow pushing against anything that potentially could fit down them.

Sweet. You should build me one. ;)

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you decided to follow suit. Though, the pictures are pretty straight forward.

I've decided to do a ~200gal with the same concept and now doing it once it should go a lot quicker, the plumbing especially.

Sweet tank, this may make me not want sumps anymore. Following along to see how it pans out. I think the only change I would have done is painted the in's/outs white or off-white.

The only problem I can think of is excess water in the pipes coming out when open the canisters.

Cool design.

Although it is only 18g you could put a skimmer in a pressure chamber and keep the water/air level regulated with internal float switches and an air pump. It would be interesting to see how much gas is absorbed through the skimmer operation.

Sweet tank, this may make me not want sumps anymore. Following along to see how it pans out. I think the only change I would have done is painted the in's/outs white or off-white.

The only problem I can think of is excess water in the pipes coming out when open the canisters.

That's a good idea about painting the ins/outs I may still do that if I can't move the rock around enough to hide them. Besides the two grates they're now under or behind rocks.

For the canisters, that does happen so I open them above a 5gal bucket.

Cool design.

Although it is only 18g you could put a skimmer in a pressure chamber and keep the water/air level regulated with internal float switches and an air pump. It would be interesting to see how much gas is absorbed through the skimmer operation.

Interesting suggestion, I'll keep it in mind when I do the next larger one.

amazing idea :wub::wub::wub:

Thanks, I thought it turned out alright.

This has to be my favorite build of all that I've seen, (and I've seen a whole bunch of em'. I've got 50+ tabs open of just NR build threads at the moment) my avatar may explain that a bit!

If I ever end up doing a custom tank, I'm stealing your dimensions. I also love the extensive use of reactors. I will be following religiously. :D

Parker

This has to be my favorite build of all that I've seen, (and I've seen a whole bunch of em'. I've got 50+ tabs open of just NR build threads at the moment) my avatar may explain that a bit!

If I ever end up doing a custom tank, I'm stealing your dimensions. I also love the extensive use of reactors. I will be following religiously. :D

Parker

Thanks, I'd like to see more similar designs so I can learn even more.

I think my cycles done. It's only been three weeks but there are no detectable ammonium, nitrite, or nitrate. The clown fish seems happy and swimming as much as ever. I went through a diatom bloom but is leaving and a light green algae is starting to appear. I'll probably give it a few more weeks to be sure but it looks like its on to the next part.

So after completing the cycle I happened upon a friend that was breaking down his well established tank and donated a bunch of stuff. I know the last thing you want to do is add things too fast but I didn't want the stuff to potentially go in the trash, so I took the risk and dropped it in. Here is the new FTS and the list of what was added.

I'll keep a closer eye on the levels and hope it works out.

Unknown Zoa

Long Spine Urchin

Brittle Star

5lbs of Live Rock

Archived