18 Gallon (36"x10"x12") 'Thru the Bottom'

k427

FTS (August '14):

fqunyFH.jpg

FTS (June '14):

zsUDJx2.jpg

------

Original Post:

So after reading and researching for the last month I've decided to take on the project of a salt water tank. I might be premature to starting a thread as I just recently ordered everything. That said, it is all on it's way so updates will be coming soon.

It might be a little different than others you've seen, and while I've been told not to try and re-invent the wheel, I'm determined to make this tank as clean and as minimal as possible. That isn't to say I wont be maintaining it, but I'm obsessed with few moving parts and having a 'contained' system. Below is a diagram of the glass i ordered to build myself. Everything is planned to be plumbed through the bottom panel and out of sight. Two 1" bulk heads will be the out to a pump that will return the water through 5 3/4" bulkheads with loc-line. While I haven't cared for a salt water aquarium before I hope this thread can both share new ideas and learn how to best care for my tank.

My goal is to have a closed loop system that utilizes carbon, gfo, biopellets, 200 micron filter, and weekly 20% water changes for all the export.

Please let me know your thoughts and any improvements I could make.

m7oxeaP.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks nice so far. I think it's great to see tank's setup in different way's from the norm. Keep the updates coming so we can see your progress. What's your plans for lighting?

It looks awesome, but won't your entire display drain through the 5 3/8" returns? Unless you're running the locline ask the way near the surface of the water, or you have closed loop plans I glazed over. .. Its happened before. I saw that you mentioned closed loop, but if it's a sump that's actually an open loop the display can drain in to.

It looks awesome, but won't your entire display drain through the 5 3/8" returns? Unless you're running the locline ask the way near the surface of the water, or you have closed loop plans I glazed over. .. Its happened before. I saw that you mentioned closed loop, but if it's a sump that's actually an open loop the display can drain in to.

A closed loop is involved, so is an open loop. I just wonder how the aesthetics will appear bringing the open loop near the surface. If the sump can handle the entire display, more power to him.

A closed loop is involved, so is an open loop. I just wonder how the aesthetics will appear bringing the open loop near the surface. If the sump can handle the entire display, more power to him.

I suppose you could do a pretty cool tidepool tank that way, with the involvement of a DC return and a lot of patience.

Tank looks nice so far. I think it's great to see tank's setup in different way's from the norm. Keep the updates coming so we can see your progress. What's your plans for lighting?

I purchased a cheap 36" LED light from China, until I know I really like the hobby I was going to hold of on the more expensive maxspect or vertex lights.

The entire system will be a closed loop with no sump. Leaving the tank through 2 1" bulkheads -> pump -> manifold to different filtration and heater -> 5 3/4" bulkheads.
I purchased a cheap 36" LED light from China, until I know I really like the hobby I was going to hold of on the more expensive maxspect or vertex lights. The entire system will be a closed loop with no sump. Leaving the tank through 2 1" bulkheads -> pump -> manifold to different filtration and heater -> 5 3/4" bulkheads.

Roger that, should be really cool. That's going to be a small fortune I'm valves to isolate pieces, but it will keep the display equipment free, a premise I can appreciate.

Got a little work done today. The canisters from left to right are; heater, thermometer, media for debris, carbon/gfo, biopellets. Or should I run bio pellets first if they're in series?

ejwz50K.jpg

I love the dimensions and am very interested to see how the rest of this system is set up.

I am relatively new to this hobby, and could be completely wrong, but I thought running a skimmer was critical when running biopellets. As far as I understand carbon dosing and biopellets use the same mechanism for reducing nutrients. Here is a good article I found on carbon dosing, maybe it will help. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I love the dimensions and am very interested to see how the rest of this system is set up. I am relatively new to this hobby, and could be completely wrong, but I thought running a skimmer was critical when running biopellets. As far as I understand carbon dosing and biopellets use the same mechanism for reducing nutrients. Here is a good article I found on carbon dosing, maybe it will help. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. I'm new to the hobby too but I've seen a few successful setups with biopellets and no skimmer so I thought I'd try to recreate that. I'd much prefer a more simple system so if i can remove the biopellets better yet.

Shieez nice tank man. And bike.

Thanks, It's a vintage track build, if you want the specs I'll send them over.

QMIU824.jpg

zoanthidfreak

I've never seen anything like this done before, not saying it's a bad thing though. I'm very very interested to see how this pans out :)

best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Plumbing update.

So the 3/4" loc-line looks pretty big for the tank. If it becomes too hard to hide with LR I'll probably switch to 1/2".

A69NxZN.jpg

I have a few more things to do finish but for the most part all the plumbing is done.

gazwyXX.jpg

wow awesome job

I like everything about this build. :D

Thanks both of you. It's my first tank build but while I have high hopes, I wouldn't be surprised if i'm over complicating the process and ultimately fail.

Looks really good. Your plumbing looks well planned out and I like that you used clear primer instead of the purple stuff keeps it nice and clean.

Archived