• Last Reply

29766874346_c1347de3cf.jpg

29176846273_49cb65bbdc.jpg

my very favorite chalice.

29510143990_8aa9c99106.jpg

29176854033_9f351a3476.jpg

29176890063_844a810916.jpg

29802596285_e65044297f.jpg

Some of you may be asking "why do you have a crazy stupid giant piece of black egg crate." The answer is, when you have too many frags and run out of room to place them you find an alternative. That's what happens when you're frag tank is as big as your DT folks.

One of the boards i got from you and 4 umb's and hyper violets and 2 blue+. It think its mainly my algae issue thats making me fed up along with my lighting lol.

One of the boards i got from you and 4 umb's and hyper violets and 2 blue+. It think its mainly my algae issue thats making me fed up along with my lighting lol.

Looks like Byropsis, have you tried Tech M?

I havent due to my tank only being 7 gallons,ibe tried the tough route and used water changes,hand removal,peroxide dips and now my protein skimmer. Its not as bad as it was. Still there though.

Looks nice!

I am fond of black silicone though :lol: I had this discussion with a friend who has a custom tank and had it built with clear.....he complained of cleaning the silicone as algae grows on it and its pita......well black is easy you don't see it.....

That thing looks almost identical to another friends of mine. 48x30x19 tall with the same corner overflow........

Looks nice!

I am fond of black silicone though :lol: I had this discussion with a friend who has a custom tank and had it built with clear.....he complained of cleaning the silicone as algae grows on it and its pita......well black is easy you don't see it.....

That thing looks almost identical to another friends of mine. 48x30x19 tall with the same corner overflow........

exact dims. Guy I got it from wasn't sure who built it though. I'm kinda worried about the stand. It's steel but it's super light, how much should it weigh oh wise stand builder?

exact dims. Guy I got it from wasn't sure who built it though. I'm kinda worried about the stand. It's steel but it's super light, how much should it weigh oh wise stand builder?

Well all depends what the thickness is on the steel. Take a close up of the material. From what I can see it maybe looks like .120 and that's 1/8th thick. I use that on most builds. I just did one out of 3/16 but that one is going to hold about 2 tons total.......

The tank has been set up right? So I would not worry to much. If it was mine I would have put a center support in the back but other than that I think it should work.

Well all depends what the thickness is on the steel. Take a close up of the material. From what I can see it maybe looks like .120 and that's 1/8th thick. I use that on most builds. I just did one out of 3/16 but that one is going to hold about 2 tons total.......

The tank has been set up right? So I would not worry to much. If it was mine I would have put a center support in the back but other than that I think it should work.

Yeah I was thinking it might 1/12. It was set up by the original owner but the guy I got it from never set it back up. He leak tested it before I bought it and I checked the seams for bubbles or peeling and didn't see any. I can add a 2x4 to the back as I won't need access. Heck I could ado one to the front too and just use some jb weld to hold it in place maybe?

post-81810-0-16955400-1474810893_thumb.jpg

Yeah I was thinking it might 1/12. It was set up by the original owner but the guy I got it from never set it back up. He leak tested it before I bought it and I checked the seams for bubbles or peeling and didn't see any. I can add a 2x4 to the back as I won't need access. Heck I could ado one to the front too and just use some jb weld to hold it in place maybe?

attachicon.gif20160925_065034.jpg

Looks like 1/8th to me so you should be good. Just cut the 2x4 a fuzz bigger and jam it in there. No need to JB weld it in. It wont go anywhere and you can get it out later if need be. You will be running foam under the tank anyway so it if bows a little it wont really matter.

Looks like 1/8th to me so you should be good. Just cut the 2x4 a fuzz bigger and jam it in there. No need to JB weld it in. It wont go anywhere and you can get it out later if need be. You will be running foam under the tank anyway so it if bows a little it wont really matter.

You're my hero.

I didn't realize how light that stand was until the tank was already in the truck.

It may be thinner but to be honest it will not weigh a whole lot anyway. If it is just the frame there may be 30 feet if that for material. It does not weigh much.

It may be thinner but to be honest it will not weigh a whole lot anyway. If it is just the frame there may be 30 feet if that for material. It does not weigh much.

Cool, so I got half inch foam for the tank to sit on, I've never had a rimless tank so I'm not sure what is usually used. The side panes DO sit on the bottom pane so I know it does indeed need to have foam.

Cool, so I got half inch foam for the tank to sit on, I've never had a rimless tank so I'm not sure what is usually used. The side panes DO sit on the bottom pane so I know it does indeed need to have foam.

That's what I have also for mine. I started with a yoga mat for fat people :lol: found one 3 feet wide :blink: then decided just to use the 1/2 inch foam instead. Just remember even with the foam the tank will settle about a 1/4 inch when filled with water........I did not thin k of that and so I plumbed my tank with all the PVC going in the center of the holes well after settling they are not centered anymore.....my OCD side does not like that :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Pukani rock or Tonga branch? So torn..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pukani just like Jack said.......I have it in 2 tanks now and love it!

Pukalani!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pukani just like Jack said.......I have it in 2 tanks now and love it!

How did you two yahoo's cook it? acid or bleach? Jack probably used the chlorine gas route........

How did you two yahoo's cook it? acid or bleach? Jack probably used the chlorine gas route........

I soaked mine in vinegar for 24 to 36 hours or so. It was actually pretty clean. Then washed and scrubbed it and soaked in saltwater in a brute for a few months or so. I did change out the water in the brute every couple of weeks. Then the last month or so I added bacteria to the water to get a cycle going. Rock is now in the tank and starting a diatom bloom but that's normal.

Muriatic Acid at about 2:1 ratio. 1 gallon of Muriatic Acid to 2 gallons of water. Let it sizzle for an hour. Added large box of baking soda to neutralize, blasted with the hose. Set it out to dry.

Awesome, love the results.

Archived