ReefCleaners.org

Dpolt's Mixed Reef Tank. (New Shark Diving Pictures).

dpoltsdsu

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
charnelhouse

Yeah, I lurk on SD Reefs but never interact. Maybe one day. Might look on there for a BTA in a couple/few months when I'm ready to take that leap.

Yeah, I lurk on SD Reefs but never interact. Maybe one day. Might look on there for a BTA in a couple/few months when I'm ready to take that leap.

You shouldn't have a problem finding one. I've seen some real nice ones on there!

your Duncans!!! Crazy! *drools*

Thanks, It's my favorite coral in the tank. It just keeps growing and growing!

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to make a trip down to the ocean this morning to get some natural saltwater so I figured I would take a couple of pictures

The water comes from La Jolla Bay in San Diego. There is a faucet that runs from large filters where people can get water. The water is pumped from a deep-water gulch out in the bay. This is the same water that the local aquarium uses so I really trust it. I've been using it for two years without issues as well.

I got there really early so I was able to watch the sunrise

The bay

LUJ2Eqm.jpg?1

Pier/beach

42yhRdv.jpg?1

Filters and faucet

vLLPoE4.jpg?1

I was also able to make it to the local fish store, Aquatic Warehouse. They have a huge selection of saltwater supplies and livestock. I also picked up some really nice Pink Zoanthids!

One of Aquatic Warehouse's show tanks

vhVtzYD.jpg

charnelhouse

Love that tank at AW. The colors are so much better in person.

I was at AquaSD on Saturday and they had a BTA with dark green tentacles, with orange tips that almost look like eyes. I was on my scoot so didn't pick it up Saturday. Usually when I walk away from something like that I forget about it, but this 'nem wouldn't go away.

I've been a little hesitant to put take the 'nem leap because the tank hasn't been set up "long enough", but I ran tests yesterday and everything was perfect. SG holding at 1.026 since the tank was set up, trates and phosphates undetectable, algae present but not overwhelming.

I took the leap. Put the 'nem in yesterday afternoon. So far so good except it decided the spot it likes is in the back of the rock where you can't see it.... 'doh.

charnelhouse

That's awesome. I hope it does well, do you have a picture? How long has the tank been up?

There are some pics in my tank thread ;)

The tank has been up for 3 months or so, but a good portion of the stuff in it was in a smaller tank for over a year. About a third of the LR, all of the corals, one of the fish.

Parameters are holding very well, I'm praying for success...

• 2 months later...

I have not updated in a while, school has been extremely busy! The tank is doing very well, I have not changed anything and the coral and fish seem to appreciate that.

The SPS in particular have been doing well. All of the SPS have survived and are slowly growing and showing good color thus far.

The Clownfish is now being hosted by my large Duncan coral. The relationship is awesome to see and the Coral doesn't seem to be bothered all that much.

Here are some updated pictures!

FTS

M0gK6Yz.jpg

Clownfish and Duncan Coral

XsT6bNL.jpg

SPS

gbyqrmV.jpg

Got the chance to go to the Charger Bears Monday Night Football game this last Monday with my dad. It was an great experience

ex0cGBY.jpg

I also wanted to share the growth of my Duncan coral. I've had this coral for three years and it hasn't stopped growing. It's my favorite coral and I hope that it continues to do well!

3 years ago

Lw5kR5U.jpg

Current

neEgCEn.jpg

I spot feed the coral once a week with meaty and nutrient rich food. The Duncan sits in flow that gently sways its tentacles. It has also been under LED's its entire time with me

My Girlfriend and I were able to get away for a day and go to the Birch Aquarium in San Diego! The aquarium is really small but it had some cool displays. I was able to take a couple of pictures of some of the reef displays that I'll post below.

QlSFpKz.jpg

anyB3WW.jpg

FiNRMQa.jpg

Mangrove forest display

9DWyUpl.jpg

1dxlsj9.jpg

We were also lucky enough to get to the top of a hill to see the sunset over beautiful La Jolla Cove!

IJakESW.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Update: November 26th, 2015

The tank is doing very well. The SPS are rapidly encrusting and the Zoas are starting to take off. I re-aquascaped a bit to try and get away from the wall of rock look. I think it looks good. The SPS will have plenty of room to grow. My goal is to have the top of the tank covered in SPS griwth by this time next year.

I sold my Hawkfish because he was being aggressive with the other fish. The Tang and Watchman Goby both had visible bite marks. Since its removal, the fish seem to be more active, especially the Goby.

Here are some pictures!

Zoanthid garden

CXM8wcV.jpg

pyzcmPF.jpg

8rrVk6n.jpg

I was also able to purchase a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp since the Hawkfish is gone. The Shrimp acclimated well and is already roaming the tank.

The Shrimp

KroXNZ1.jpg

FTS (I also added a small Monti Cap that is in the middle of the right rock structure).

5TI9NeW.jpg

Eat up everybody!

ReefSafeSolutions

That looks amazing! I just read through the thread, loved it. I also get my water from the pier in La Jolla...my corals seem to love it!

That looks amazing! I just read through the thread, loved it. I also get my water from the pier in La Jolla...my corals seem to love it!

Thank you! I appreciate it. The water is great, I've never had an issue with it and my corals do very well with it as well. Do you dose the water with calcium and alk or do you leave it as is?

ReefSafeSolutions

Thank you! I appreciate it. The water is great, I've never had an issue with it and my corals do very well with it as well. Do you dose the water with calcium and alk or do you leave it as is?

I don't technically "dose" but I do add those SeaLab #28 cubes once or twice a week to my tank. I do notice that the pH of the La Jolla water is a little low...have you noticed that?

I don't technically "dose" but I do add those SeaLab #28 cubes once or twice a week to my tank. I do notice that the pH of the La Jolla water is a little low...have you noticed that?

It is a tad bit low, but I have not noticed any ill effects from it, and I've used it for years. I frequently do 50% water changes as well so I dont think it's too much of a problem. I think I may need to start dosing soon though. I have a decent amount of SPS in there now.

Those cubes have worked out ok for you?

ReefSafeSolutions

It is a tad bit low, but I have not noticed any ill effects from it, and I've used it for years. I frequently do 50% water changes as well so I dont think it's too much of a problem. I think I may need to start dosing soon though. I have a decent amount of SPS in there now.

Those cubes have worked out ok for you?

You know, I'm really not sure...I've used them ever since I started putting LPS corals in my tank so I don't really know what to compare it to. But the corals all seem to grow, so the cubes can't be hurting anything! I tend to prefer the LPS over SPS anyways, which makes using Scripps' water even easier...no dosing required! I just love all the movement from LPS coral!

You know, I'm really not sure...I've used them ever since I started putting LPS corals in my tank so I don't really know what to compare it to. But the corals all seem to grow, so the cubes can't be hurting anything! I tend to prefer the LPS over SPS anyways, which makes using Scripps' water even easier...no dosing required! I just love all the movement from LPS coral!

LPS goes nuts for that water. Every LPS I have had grows very fast when I use it

beast tank!!!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

LPS goes nuts for that water. Every LPS I have had grows very fast when I use it

Thank you!

I'm on a canal here in St. Pete, Fl, and was wondering if I could use that water, but am too worried. I hear if you start/integrate slowly.....don't know. Tampa's known to be fairly polluted though, then again, I eat the fish I catch and haven't grown sixth toe yet, and I've got massive sponges all around the dock. Tell me more about the water.....

I'm on a canal here in St. Pete, Fl, and was wondering if I could use that water, but am too worried. I hear if you start/integrate slowly.....don't know. Tampa's known to be fairly polluted though, then again, I eat the fish I catch and haven't grown sixth toe yet, and I've got massive sponges all around the dock. Tell me more about the water.....

The water is taken from La Jolla Bay in San Diego. It is a protected marine preserve. The local marine research center pumps the water from the ocean offshore and then pumps it through a series of sand filters. They use the water for their reef tanks as well. I have tested the water a couple of times and they have come up perfect every time.

For your water, I'd be most conserved about pollution and run off. Is there a harbor nearby? Is there a river near this spot that can be spewing run off into the ocean? I would test the water a couple of times before you use it as well. As long as it is not near run off or a polluted harbor, I would think it should be OK.

That sounds really awesome. Thanks for the info.

I live in a little Venice -ype community and we are bayside The closest fishing spot is a preservation mangrove island chain. I'll definitely test some of the water. I have a close friend whose mother started breeding/ harvesting (not sure if this is the right word) sea horses in her retirement. She even helps to stock Mote Marine Sea Labs Everything is in her tanks is local ; I'm not sure that it is legal, but she is too wealthy and too "old" to really give a ******* about FWC.

Archived