• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston , we HAD a problem !!!

Before I left for my trip to Austin I did what all of us do

feed the tank - check

water change - check

fill ato - check

Well I guess my ATO decided to shout out a big F U to me because it decided that it would be fun to empty the ENTIRE 5g jug into my sump at once. By doing so my sump overflowed into my floor and it also caused my S.G. to drop from the normal 1.026 down to a whopping 1.011 . The 1.011 reading was after another round of evap so I'm not sure exactly how low it got. Surprisingly everything handled it pretty well... almost. I lost

red planet

candlelight acro

green pocci (from Kat) :tears:

Nasuta (from Kat) :tears:

I have a couple others that are still pretty pissed off , but they are hanging in there. I'm just glad it wasn't worse than it was.

Argh, sorry to hear about the ATO malfunction. Other than that it's looking really good.

Yeah it really hurt to toss out the pieces that I lost. I was able to figure out what happened and come to find out it was more of an error on my part so I know for sure that it will not happen again. When routing the line for the ato , I placed the output too low by mistake and it created a siphon from the ato.

I placed the output too low by mistake and it created a siphon from the ato.

What do you mean? Like the output line from the ATO in to the tank was below the water line kind of thing?

What do you mean? Like the output line from the ATO in to the tank was below the water line kind of thing?

My sump is such a low profile (9" tall) that in order to keep the ato from having rain down for lack of a better term , the ato out put ends up being pretty low in the cabinet. My ato jug is a 5g ozarka type water jug that sits next to stand therefore the jug ends up being much taller than my sump. when I placed the ato line close enough to the sump to prevent spraying water everywhere it cause the output to be lower than the waterline in the ato therefore causing a siphon of fresh water into my sump when the ato kicked in.

Normally when Im home I do not fill the jug completely full so this has never been an issue, but since I would be gone for 5 days, I just filled it up to the top. we all know what happened next.

So we're sitting at the air show as 2 planes fly overhead.

Emma : Daddy , do you know what those are called ?

Me : P51 Mustang

Emma : Yeah well I just call them airplanes

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm sure some of you remember , I had to have this tank rebuilt after my move due to breaking the side panel. The people did a really good job ... so I thought.

I didnt notice this before , but the left side panel is starting to push out just a bit at the back seam. It isnt leaking , but there is noticeable mis-alignment . If I push against it , it does move , but as stated before - no leaks.

So, now I'm stuck with the decision of letting it ride , and taking my chances, Or having another tank built / fixing this one.

Anyone ran into this before ?

LEFT SIDE

14258393933_49cef0b008_z.jpg

RIGHT SIDE

14051629387_ca3b55c330_z.jpg

Note : This tank was NOT rebuilt by Pico Aquariums. Please do not take this as an example of the work that Chris sends out.

Archived