Cultivated Reef

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Current FTS!

FTS_zps1d9f6d39.jpg

Well folks, I've been saving up over the past couple months for a new tank for my wonderful female peacock mantis shrimp. The 20 gallon tank she's been living in has been adequate, but certainly not ideal. So, now we're just going to leap straight into what I believe is going to be the prefect setup...

A9FC9080-orig_zps239f36d8.jpg

Cool, huh?

Who wants to see more?

• Like 8

No !! this thread sux !!!

I love you, too. :flower: Hehe. Yeah, so without further ado...

C3F118CC-orig_zps21ea29a4.jpg

Is that sick or what? I got the optional media basket as well. I'm probably going to get an InTank fuge basket, too.

• Like 5

That thing is sexy !!

Why is it still dry ?

Because I have to build a custom height stand, get some fresh live sand (which will be here Friday), make 25+ gallons of RO/DI and mix it with salt, and about a dozen other details. :D

Shaken or stirred?

Good eye... Shaken. ;) (gin)

Ordered the InTank refugium basket this morning. I requested a hand drawn picture of a mantis shrimp with the order. We'll see if they oblige. :)

• Like 1

Wooo! Following so I can steal ideas when I upgrade Ivy's home. :D

This Nuvo 30 is everything you could possibly ask for in an AIO. It's hard to imagine a better design. We'll see if there are any downsides to this tank, but so far I haven't found any. I think in the long run, this is going to be a killer setup. And honestly, I think because it's so well set up out of the box, it's going to be less expensive to set up than most tanks that always need lots of changes and upgrades.

• Like 1

I got my InTank refugium basket. As I mentioned I requested a hand drawn mantis picture with the order. They did not disappoint.

98524011-orig_zps7bee6f6b.jpg

mediabasket_zpsdd4cb036.jpg

D6321528-orig_zps8ebe07c0.jpg

47B5CFD4-orig_zpsd998640d.jpg

As always, beautiful quality.

• Like 7

Nice setup, some people might think you a little nutty for spoiling a mantis like that. I think its perfect.

Quality and attention to detail = success.

• Like 2

New mantis den. I'm planning to cover it with sand...

587C6AD4-orig_zpsc7bfa598.jpg

Mechanical filtration material. I'll use both disposable and washable cut-to-fit filter pads. Also PolyBioMarine filter pad, plus Purigen and Chemipure.

C41B797E-orig_zps891a79b8.jpg

A little more work done on the stand.

0B4237D6-orig_zps250cf06a.jpg

More pics to come! Stay tuned!

• Like 2

I think it's going to be pretty sweet.

What I'm not so sure about is the stand. We'll see. I think I have it under control, but if all else fails, I know a couple of local woodworkers who will build me a custom stand. The main problem is that my woodworking skills are below the level of my OCD. I get kinda annoyed by 1/16" gaps... but they can be filled.

Damnit, Jim! I'm a mechanic, not a woodworker!

• Like 1