Cultivated Reef

College 40B. Ruby Red!

Archaic37

Their stomachs are caved in and spine on the side is visible if they are underfed.

Fat.

7F8A3035-7A76-41A7-934D-8DB5915EDC4C-478.

Hey Kat! That's my mandarin. Joe is a pig and on pellets now.

Ut oh, Central Valley.... Are ÿou part of cvr?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ut oh, Central Valley.... Are ÿou part of cvr?

Yes I am lol great club almost all my corals.have come from their frag swap or from other members

Yes I am lol great club almost all my corals.have come from their frag swap or from other members

Cool. There are some nice tanks in that club and some great collectors as well.

Cool. There are some nice tanks in that club and some great collectors as well.

Yeah my ASD rainbow Milli, tri color validas, red dragon, red planet and pink tabling acro all came from the members. They are some sweet pieces.

How did you get joe to eat pellets? I have the NLS Thera A small fish size. was it simply a matter of time or was it a matter of putting a good amount in a diner and letting him decide if he wanted it.

I tried the diner and it was a pain, esp with other fish and hermits eating the food. Your mandarin needs to be trained to know where his/her meal is, by locating the diner. I used a different method by going to the fish and spot feeding. I took a rigid tubing and glue it to the end of a turkey baster. I spot fed him on the rocks where he was swimming. First fed nutramar ova. Once I knew he was eating that, then I mixed in other frozen. Lastly mixed in th nutramar ova, frozen, and soaked pellets. If he does not eat the pellets then stick to the ova and frozen. I then fed every other day, but every day I fed pellets to all my other fish. Because he was missing a day's meal he decided to eat the pellets. Must of been hungry!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324304-official-mandarin-show-off-thread/page-3

I tried the diner and it was a pain, esp with other fish and hermits eating the food. Your mandarin needs to be trained to know where his/her meal is, by locating the diner. I used a different method by going to the fish and spot feeding. I took a rigid tubing and glue it to the end of a turkey baster. I spot fed him on the rocks where he was swimming. First fed nutramar ova. Once I knew he was eating that, then I mixed in other frozen. Lastly mixed in th nutramar ova, frozen, and soaked pellets. If he does not eat the pellets then stick to the ova and frozen. I then fed every other day, but every day I fed pellets to all my other fish. Because he was missing a day's meal he decided to eat the pellets. Must of been hungry!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324304-official-mandarin-show-off-thread/page-3

Ah thats a good idea. He knows exactly where his diner is after a day. I used a tupperware that has a curved lip so snails can't get into it. What did you soak the pellets in? Garlic or selcon?

I will try mixing in the other stuff because he is definitely eating the ova

Just quoting you so you get a notification. Have you done a recent tisbe culture? I am thinking about starting one up just so dingo has some stuff to pick at. I am probably going to get the algagen 16oz bottle split it between 2 3g water jugs and a little bit of chaeto maybe.
You would need to culture for a minimum 3 months to be able to harvest.

:wub:

You would need to culture for a minimum 3 months to be able to harvest.

So in that case half in the fuge and the other half in a 3g jug and let the jug. i feel like I am putting too much faith into a single jug especially if it crashes. So maybe a couple 2 liter bottles, but then again a 3g should be more stable than 2 liters.

Ah thats a good idea. He knows exactly where his diner is after a day. I used a tupperware that has a curved lip so snails can't get into it. What did you soak the pellets in? Garlic or selcon?

I will try mixing in the other stuff because he is definitely eating the ova

Soaked in tank water. Needed the pellets to sink to the bottom of the tank. Unfortunately I do not soak any of my fish food with garlic, selcon, or any other products.

It is like he knew to push it right into the euphyllia

3 times I put it there, 3 times he threw a fit.

I am pretty impressed how easily he moved that seeing as how the disc is a 2" one and it's not a light one either.

Too funny. You should suspend a rock from fishing line in front of his hole. When he pushes it, then it smack him back in the face. Maybe that's too mean.

LOL That is awesome! Hermit and acan went for a ride. Off his turf!

The rock ledge that the acan WAS on is so bare and is just begging for something like an acan or chalice but I think if I put anything there the blenny will just attack it until it hurts itself or the coral. Maybe if I put it there at night it will think it has always been there lol

Everyone says midas blennies can be aggressive but I have seen zero aggression from him.. well at least 0 aggression to other fish lol snails and frags are a different story lol.

Probably the only thing that'd stop him is if it was glued down...and even then he may beat it up trying to get it to move like you said. lol Silly fish!

Quick Updates:

1) Dingo the mandarin I think has taken to NLS THera A pellets that have been slightly ground up in a mortar and pestle. I put some in his mason jar diner where the snails can't get to it and they are usually gone later in the day and I watch him pluck at them but he does not seem to love them like he loves the OVA and cyclops.

I also tossed some LR rubble into his diner because during feeding time he would rather pluck around the rocks than eat out of his diner, but during non feeding times I see him in there looking for food.

2) I see white spots on my corraline algae and I know I have some asterina stars in there. Besides getting a harlequin shrimp are there any other ways to eradicate them?

A vote would be appreciated, since every other contestant is doing it I might as well too.

http://bit.ly/1knzyuh

Also my mandarin has not been doing to well. He went from eating the ova, cyclops and pecking at Ther A pellets to breathing hard and lethargic in 24 hours. He is currently in the my refugium for the past 2 days and has been doing better. I also added a bottle of tisbee pods from reef cleaners and a second bottle is in a 3g container to cultivate :D

llama roadkill
A vote would be appreciated, since every other contestant is doing it I might as well too.

http://bit.ly/1knzyuh'>http://bit.ly/1knzyuh

Also my mandarin has not been doing to well. He went from eating the ova, cyclops and pecking at Ther A pellets to breathing hard and lethargic in 24 hours. He is currently in the my refugium for the past 2 days and has been doing better. I also added a bottle of tisbee pods from reef cleaners and a second bottle is in a 3g container to cultivate :D

Awesome! I'll definitely be using this video when I'm setting up my pump.

Vote #29 by the way!

Awesome! I'll definitely be using this video when I'm setting up my pump.

Vote #29 by the way!

Thanks!

You need to stop procrastinating and get your tank wet :P

llama roadkill
Thanks!

You need to stop procrastinating and get your tank wet :P

This weekend! I didn't even know you followed me. Your tank is awesome!

This weekend! I didn't even know you followed me. Your tank is awesome!

Thanks man. I dont follow you just see your tank thread, look at it and still see dry rock and an empty tank lol

Sad update came home to a dead mandarin :( definitely looks like a parasite or bad catch practice because.he wasnt even skin and bones.

llama roadkill
Thanks man. I dont follow you just see your tank thread, look at it and still see dry rock and an empty tank lol

Sad update came home to a dead mandarin :( definitely looks like a parasite or bad catch practice because.he wasnt even skin and bones.

Sorry. It really sucks to lose such an awesome fish. :(

Sorry. It really sucks to lose such an awesome fish. :(

It really is. I have no idea why he did die and thats quite frustrating

Archived