Pod Your Reef

Aqueon 8 Temperate/Coldwater Marine Tank. Got a Fringehead in here now ;)

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

So awesome. Dinner is just as cool looking as the Navanax :o

I totally agree :)

The Opalescent nudibranchs are the easiest to collect and wont prey on anything that I keep in my tank right now, and they should reproduce (if they are alive long enough). I have a few more in separate small tanks in the garage as backup food when he's done with these ones.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Any idea the amount of bio load placed on your system from these feedings?

Gramophone

This is great! What kind of star is that? It looks like an Echinaster, but I've never seen a yellowish one like this.

AquaticEngineer

Any idea the amount of bio load placed on your system from these feedings?

Quite a bit I am sure. After adding more livestock I had a bit of a cycle where the water clouded up so I did a small water change and cleaned the filter today and its clearing up.

This is great! What kind of star is that? It looks like an Echinaster, but I've never seen a yellowish one like this.

Its a Blood Star (Henrica leviuscula) http://www.coldwatermarineaquatics.com/collections/echinoderms/products/blood-star-henrica-leviuscula

AquaticEngineer

Had an interesting idea today. I've always used mussels in my systems as a form of filtration since they are darn near indestructible and will filter out small particles (even toxins) like nothing else.

Today I'm using them for another property they exhibit. The threads they use to attach themselves to rocks, each other, glass, acrylic, etc...... I've seen them adhere to just about every surface I can think of and within hours in some cases.

Today I'm going to see how long it takes for a group of 4 mussels that are already attached to each other to filter the water in my 8 gallon tank and also adhere the 2 large pieces of granite that keep slipping apart to each other and make a stable rock formation.

If it works like I think it will then I would much rather use this technique than epoxy for joining rocks any day :D

AquaticEngineer

Grabbed one of this guy last weekend also. Very pretty coloration of juvenile Red Rock Crab. This is the same species as the white crab I previously posted, I'll post his picture up again here for comparison.

New colored one

temporary_zps89e2c4a2.jpg

One I already had

temporary_zps92efab2d.jpg

Curious about the muscle experiment. I love muscles for a variety of reasons and if this works.... They will be the duct tape of Coldwater!!

AquaticEngineer

.....the duct tape of Coldwater!!

That is definitely going on the next run of Coldwater Marine Aquatics T-shirts! lol
  • 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Got 20 Blackeye Gobies showing up tonight :) Gonna pick myself out a trio for the nano and then sell the rest :D

They are so cool!!!! Couple Cool facts about the Blackeye Goby: Each male usually maintains a harem of two to eight females. They exhibit protogynous hermaphroditism, with all individuals being born females and turning into males once they reach a certain size under the correct conditions. The males in such groups are usually larger than the female members, averaging 3.5 to 4.3" in length, while the females range in size from 1.3 to 3.2" in length. Its the only known species of goby to be found in Alaskan waters.

Heres the wiki on them, really good info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackeye_goby

blackeye_goby_1024x1024.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Very nice. :happy:

Thanks! I've been resisting the urge to put a Catalina goby in there with the hopes that something like these guys would become available to us :D

Depending on the the size (and if the ID was correct or not) I might try one of these guys in the tank as well.

Scorpaenodes-xyris_100825-L.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Rainbow Scorps showed up tonight and they look awesome! Uploading pics of the big one (2 inches) to photobucket now :D

AquaticEngineer

Photobucket fail :( Fell asleep while updating the website last night and forgot to finish uploading them. Today I promise :)

STUNNING! I really dig the patterns on these guys, and I expected them to get bigger then they do - still a bit too big at 6" max for the really small temperates.

edit: watched the video of the one on your facebook page. now i want one. someone sedate me.

Archived