Pod Your Reef

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

I fragged off the parts that were not doing well. They were in the middle of the colony so I had to chop it up pretty good unfortunately. I placed the frags in various places to see if placement was an issue. I dipped each frag in iodine after fragging but I've done that before so I don't know if that will help. I really wish I knew what was going on with this coral since the other LPS are doing great (and growing).

• 4 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

I just moved the reef today. The sand was replaced (with dry stuff) which is still not completely clear. It was rinsed a lot but still clouded the water some. Is it safe to move the corals/fish to the tank or should I keep them in buckets (5 gallon) with filtration/flow until it clears (hopefully overnight it clears)? The tank is not super cloudy but is somewhat cloudy still.

Fishgirl2393

Only the moonlights are on in the tank right now but it looks pretty good and some corals are open (zoas, some mushrooms, a few other things) and fish swimming around.

• 3 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

So, the move was a success (for the most part). I don't think that the green acan (rescue coral) will make it because the move stressed it out and made it recede but all other corals that were doing well before (still having fits with the blasto but that was going on before too and is not uncommon from what I've been reading) are still doing well. I am going to look for some additions at my LFS today but don't know if I'll actually get anything or not. Tested the tank today and all parameters are good (nitrates 2ppm, phosphate near 0 according to salifert, alk 8.5, pH 8.2, calcium 430ppm).

• 1 month later...
Fishgirl2393

Been a while since I updated. Tank is doing well. The blasto did not make it (it had been doing poorly for quite a while) and my red acan receded (think it got slightly damaged) after the move (but is doing better now). I have gotten some more mushrooms and a gorgonian (it is doing fantastic and has been in the tank for a good while now). I need to do a water change soon but everything is doing good. Only thing is that the new substrate (I replaced the sand when I moved the tank) has cyano that doesn't want to go away (it is only on the substrate) so I may treat with Chemiclean but I don't know yet. I need to make some decisions about upgrading equipment because while the tank is doing OK, it has never thrived as much as it should be.

Fishgirl2393

I am going to have to update my lights (either new bulbs or new fixture) soon and I was wondering about the AI Prime. Would it work on my tank (a 20-gallon high) for LPS/softies (I don't plan on any serious SPS and if I did, it would only be easy ones)? Would it be better than my current lights or not? I was also considering the Current USA Orbit Marine so how would that one work?

Fishgirl2393

Anyone? I am strongly considering the Current USA Orbit because it would fit over the whole tank (vs the prime that might not have enough spread) but I want some opinions. I have no intention of having a ton of SPS (I MIGHT have a birdsnest or monticap, etc. at some point in the future but that is it).

charnelhouse

Neither of those are an upgrade.

Ben is probably right, with the exception that the Orbit at least will probably look a lot sleeker and not needs bulbs replaced. It's basically the same level of light though.

I have the 24-36 on my Fusion 40, which is 18" deep. It's doing fine for softies on the sandbed. I have a 'nem that has been in there almost a week and it is hiding from the light at the bottom of the tank and was under MH at the LFS. That probably doesn't mean anything though.

You could try the Orbit Marine Pro if you want an "upgrade".

Been a while since I updated. Tank is doing well. The blasto did not make it (it had been doing poorly for quite a while) and my red acan receded (think it got slightly damaged) after the move (but is doing better now). I have gotten some more mushrooms and a gorgonian (it is doing fantastic and has been in the tank for a good while now). I need to do a water change soon but everything is doing good. Only thing is that the new substrate (I replaced the sand when I moved the tank) has cyano that doesn't want to go away (it is only on the substrate) so I may treat with Chemiclean but I don't know yet. I need to make some decisions about upgrading equipment because while the tank is doing OK, it has never thrived as much as it should be.

This thread needs more pictures ;)

Fishgirl2393

Neither of those are an upgrade.

I guess I shouldn't have said upgrade as in way better light (I know I won't get that for the amount of money I can spend) but I am getting kinda tired of replacing T5HO bulbs as frequently as I have to (at $20 minimum per bulb x4). Would this work for what I need though? And I could technically get either the 18-24 inch one OR the 24-36 inch one, but which would be better (or would it matter?)? I am guessing the bigger one, but don't know for sure.

Ben is probably right, with the exception that the Orbit at least will probably look a lot sleeker and not needs bulbs replaced. It's basically the same level of light though.

I have the 24-36 on my Fusion 40, which is 18" deep. It's doing fine for softies on the sandbed. I have a 'nem that has been in there almost a week and it is hiding from the light at the bottom of the tank and was under MH at the LFS. That probably doesn't mean anything though.

You could try the Orbit Marine Pro if you want an "upgrade".

Does the Orbit Marine (not the pro) grow LPS and softies pretty well though? Does it work fairly well (I've read it does but want to be sure before I order it)

This thread needs more pictures ;)

I'll try to post some soon! I'm kinda busy since it is my senior year of college and I have some tough classes but I'll get on it ASAP!
charnelhouse

I guess I shouldn't have said upgrade as in way better light (I know I won't get that for the amount of money I can spend) but I am getting kinda tired of replacing T5HO bulbs as frequently as I have to (at $20 minimum per bulb x4). Would this work for what I need though? And I could technically get either the 18-24 inch one OR the 24-36 inch one, but which would be better (or would it matter?)? I am guessing the bigger one, but don't know for sure.

Does the Orbit Marine (not the pro) grow LPS and softies pretty well though? Does it work fairly well (I've read it does but want to be sure before I order it)

I'll try to post some soon! I'm kinda busy since it is my senior year of college and I have some tough classes but I'll get on it ASAP!

I have sinularia, kenya tree and shrooms that all seem to be doing fine under it. They are all down close to the sand and growing. Not growing fast or anything, but I'm ok with that.

Fishgirl2393

I'm thinking I'm going to go with these lights because I've read about a lot of people who are very happy with them (for smaller tanks like mine anyway). However, I am still wondering which one I should get (the 18-24 inch one or the 24-36 inch one)... Any ideas? Is there a lot of difference or not much?

Fishgirl2393

The Orbit has a couple of different pre-programmed acclimation settings built in.

I see that now (I downloaded the instructions). Are they good settings to use?

charnelhouse

I see that now (I downloaded the instructions). Are they good settings to use?

I used the shortest duration setting for about a week then switched over to a custom version of the longest duration program (M3) and everything was fine. I don't have a lot of corals though.

Well, it came in today and so far, I really like it! The design is awesome! The dynamic modes are cool. The light is really bright. It is on coral acclimation mode right now (I played with it a bit just to see the settings but it is on that mode for a few days at least).

jedimasterben

Bright unfortunately doesn't mean intense, it just means it has some green light in it (which our eyes perceive as 'bright'). I wouldn't bother with any acclimation settings unless you see problems.

Well, I can't say what the PAR is from this fixture BUT I have heard of people growing SPS (even heard of a couple growing acros) under it so it must be pretty intense. I know a lot of people don't like the low-watt LEDs but over a small, shallow tank, they seem to work OK. My LFS can grow acropora under the Fluval Sea LED (they have grown it for a year or two) when they use it on a shallow tank (breeder).

Very much liking this new LED fixture. The sunrise/sunset is very smoothe as well and looks nice. The corals don't seem to be stressed (yet) but the light looks to be stronger (and likely is based on PAR readings from the Odyssea fixtures in the past vs what Current USA has released for this one) but for sure is not weaker. I will likely transision the corals to the longer acclimation setting for a few days (will likely leave it on the low one tomorrow and switch to the higher acclimation one on Saturday) and then switch to either a custom light plan OR one of the presets.

• Like 1

Corals are very happy under these new lights and seem to be doing well. I changed the preset mode (the 10-hour one) slightly to make the lights start coming on at 11:00 (the blue ones) and 11:15 (the white ones) with a 15 minute "sunrise" (for each channel) and then they stay on till 9:00 (white) and 9:15 (blue) with a 15 minute "sunset" for each channel. This seems to work good and I like the schedule. I am watching the corals for any signs of stress because these lights are obviously stronger than my previous T5HO setup. Also, a few corals actually look a little bit better under these lights but I cannot say for sure that it is the lights because I also added fresh carbon around the same time.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Corals are very happy under these new lights and seem to be doing well. I changed the preset mode (the 10-hour one) slightly to make the lights start coming on at 11:00 (the blue ones) and 11:15 (the white ones) with a 15 minute "sunrise" (for each channel) and then they stay on till 9:00 (white) and 9:15 (blue) with a 15 minute "sunset" for each channel. This seems to work good and I like the schedule. I am watching the corals for any signs of stress because these lights are obviously stronger than my previous T5HO setup. Also, a few corals actually look a little bit better under these lights but I cannot say for sure that it is the lights because I also added fresh carbon around the same time.

I'm glad it's working put for you (the light). Pictures?

Bright unfortunately doesn't mean intense, it just means it has some green light in it (which our eyes perceive as 'bright'). I wouldn't bother with any acclimation settings unless you see problems.

Here are the claimed PAR values. Not "intense", but serviceable unless you are SPS dominant. Obviously the deeper the tank, etc. etc.

Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

• Like 1