ReefCleaners.org

28 gal. Intermediate LED nanocube

saltt

I think something that might have severely irritated it was when I fed it a big meaty mysis shrimp and my mystery wrasse came and ripped it right from the tentacles, ever since then the tentacles on one side look shorter like they ripped or something, and I know how sticky they are so I'm sure that did some damage. Stupid fish :( I really hope it heals. And it's flow is very moderate nothing that would cause any problems

An irritant is certainly a possibility- my #1 concern would be that algae not take hold on the exposed skeleton. Use a razor to keep it off as necessary. They're pretty damn hardy corals in my experience so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just feed it as much as it will take and give it time to recover. If it continues to look worse, try a dip in your favorite coral dip solution. Feeding response in dendro's and tubastrea can be relatively easily triggered by floatin them in a tupperware or equivalent with a heavy sluice of mysis/cyclopeeze occasionally agitated for a half hour to hour. Will not necessarily work the first couple times but repeated exposure will generally trigger the response in a week or so.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An irritant is certainly a possibility- my #1 concern would be that algae not take hold on the exposed skeleton. Use a razor to keep it off as necessary. They're pretty damn hardy corals in my experience so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just feed it as much as it will take and give it time to recover. If it continues to look worse, try a dip in your favorite coral dip solution. Feeding response in dendro's and tubastrea can be relatively easily triggered by floatin them in a tupperware or equivalent with a heavy sluice of mysis/cyclopeeze occasionally agitated for a half hour to hour. Will not necessarily work the first couple times but repeated exposure will generally trigger the response in a week or so.

Yeah that's a good idea, luckily mine is still eating, I fed it this morning and it seemed to eat. I also moved it to a different location off to the side of the tank where my cleaner shrimp hopefully won't bother it and the fish as well. There isn't any algae growing on the exposed skeleton so that's good. If it does continue to get worse ill give it a coral revive or Lugols dip

Ill post a pic of what it looks like today when I get home and you can tell me if it looks ok

Alright so here's a couple pictures of the dendro:

Here's from yesterday before I moved it, it was right in the center of my tank where the shrimp always hangs out so he MIGHT have irritated it, but I decided to move it off to the side. Anyway, you can see how it's receded a bit on the stalk, concern or no concern??

IMG_5110_zps18b045a6.jpg

Here's from a couple minutes ago in it's new location, it's open a bit, but not fully extended like when i bought it. Also, does its mouth look open-ish? Or is it just me? Also there's some yellow stringy stuff coming off the side, i know that's like part of its insides and they do that when they're stressed out. :/ Right?

IMG_5113_zps6c408569.jpg

How in the world did you get such good prices on frags!!.....holy moley!!

I got some of the same things as you and paid way too much!! lol...how big is your ironman mushroom head? And leptoseris for 5 dollars.....

How in the world did you get such good prices on frags!!.....holy moley!!

I got some of the same things as you and paid way too much!! lol...how big is your ironman mushroom head? And leptoseris for 5 dollars.....

I went both days, Sunday was the day I got the really good deals, the dendros at Cherry Corals were supposed to be 30 each I think, but when I paid for it the guy quietly told me that 20 will be fine :P

The iron man that I got opens up to about 1" around, maybe a tad bigger. And the leptoseris was from Capistrano Reefs, I bought the prism favia and the leptoseris for 15$ :) prism was $10 leptoseris was $5. My boyfriend got a piece just over 2x the size of mine for only $10. Pretty good deals at that place!

I went both days, Sunday was the day I got the really good deals, the dendros at Cherry Corals were supposed to be 30 each I think, but when I paid for it the guy quietly told me that 20 will be fine :P

The iron man that I got opens up to about 1" around, maybe a tad bigger. And the leptoseris was from Capistrano Reefs, I bought the prism favia and the leptoseris for 15$ :) prism was $10 leptoseris was $5. My boyfriend got a piece just over 2x the size of mine for only $10. Pretty good deals at that place!

Pfff.... I got my ironman mushrooms for like 20 a head... Thats what i get for not knowing my pricing......

Still mad about you getting leptoseris for 5 bucks....I have dibs on the first frag, for 5 bucks.

Pfff.... I got my ironman mushrooms for like 20 a head... Thats what i get for not knowing my pricing......

Still mad about you getting leptoseris for 5 bucks....I have dibs on the first frag, for 5 bucks.

Haha you got it. It seems like it's doing ok so far * knock on wood *

I just love this tank!

Your selection of fish is awesome. How does the Mystery wrasse behave? I love these guys but I've heard they can be nasty

I just love this tank!

Your selection of fish is awesome. How does the Mystery wrasse behave? I love these guys but I've heard they can be nasty

Thank you! :) surprisingly the mystery wrasse was the first fish in this tank. He never ever bothers the clownfish or the mandarin, but if he sees the yasha goby outside of his hole he will sometimes chase him back in.

Obviously the fish that was a problem was the hogfish, I really wanted one and this guy was only $20, so of course I had to grab him..the first couple days the mystery wrasse was pretty mean to him, and the hogfish is pretty wimpy and doesn't stand up for himself. After those couple days they seemed to settle down and they don't even bother each other anymore :) I love my mystery wrasse I'm so happy I decided to get one

You also mentioned something about hating what plugs look like..I must have missed something about taking corals off plugs...do you scrap them off and glue them down?

You also mentioned something about hating what plugs look like..I must have missed something about taking corals off plugs...do you scrap them off and glue them down?

Yeah, usually if a coral is newly glued to a frag and isn't actually growing onto the plug, you can take some coral cutters (or garden clippers) and clip them gently off, where the glue connects to the plug. It's usually pretty easy but you don't wanna actually clip the coral itself. I also couldn't take the dendro off the plug as it was really stuck on there somehow.

I find, especially with zoanthids, that if you're able to take them off the plug and glue the little frag onto a rock, it looks really nice and natural once they start growing all on the rock

Here's a FTS from yesterday, the new corals are settling in pretty well!-

IMG_5138_zps1ba648ef.jpg

The chalice and monti are even closer to growing together now...

IMG_5164_zps4c399d7c.jpg

In his "anemone" :lol:

IMG_5165_zps3834881d.jpg

Acans-

IMG_5166_zps31186e4e.jpg

IMG_5171_zps8ea398bc.jpg

The Zoanthids are still growing like crazy, why are darth mauls so expensive if they grow this fast? seriously.

IMG_5167_zpsbb8a5483.jpg

The new mushroom looks pretty happy:

IMG_5168_zpsd8eed98e.jpg

By my gold pot favia i have all these little brown flowery polyp looking things, they multiply like CRAZY and ive scrubbed them with a toothbrush but they won't go away. They kinda look like little feather duster things, because when I added Prazi a while ago they shriveled up for like a day but never died. They don't seem to irritate anything because i have some growing by my Rasta zoas too and they don't seem to mind. They're just a little unsightly :( If anyone knows what they are please feel free to say!!

IMG_5139_zpsc814c2a4.jpg

Side view:

IMG_5169_zps34d2031f.jpg

IMG_5173_zps56e4cfb1.jpg

Just a little periodical update :D

• Like 1

Your dendro is looking nice. The tissue recession is actually not from the direction I expected to see it. I doubt that was from a cleaner shrimp - likely from mishandling when it was fragged or something. Somewhat alarming that it is receding so quickly but like I said earlier, they're pretty hardy when well fed so I'd just keep up the feedings.

Wow, fantastic looking tank, so glad you shared it with us.

Do you gravel vac on each change, or let the million nassarius snails stir it up?

Thanks

Your dendro is looking nice. The tissue recession is actually not from the direction I expected to see it. I doubt that was from a cleaner shrimp - likely from mishandling when it was fragged or something. Somewhat alarming that it is receding so quickly but like I said earlier, they're pretty hardy when well fed so I'd just keep up the feedings.

Thanks, yeah it's receding from the base up, I suspect that could be the reason as well. I might have damaged it trying to get the frag plug off..I do hope it recovers. I've been feeding it every day but didn't feed it today as I read that feeding it too much could be detrimental.

Wow, fantastic looking tank, so glad you shared it with us.

Do you gravel vac on each change, or let the million nassarius snails stir it up?

Thanks

Thank you :) The only time I siphon up the top layer of the sand is when I sometimes get a layer of red slime (cyanobacteria). This happens occasionally. I also stir up the sand bed with a toothbrush or my fingers when I do a water change (twice a week) to prevent nitrates and bubbles from forming under the sand. The nassarius snails do the rest

I've been feeding it every day but didn't feed it today as I read that feeding it too much could be detrimental.

Source on that? I'm curious as I've never heard of dendro's suffering from over feeding - not that it isn't possible.

I just googled how often to feed dendros, it was off a forum somebody said that if you feed too much it could rot inside them, and that this also goes for other corals such as acans, etc. ill try to find the site where somebody says it. I guess it's not exactly credible unless they cite a study or reliable source though. :P

I just googled how often to feed dendros, it was off a forum somebody said that if you feed too much it could rot inside them, and that this also goes for other corals such as acans, etc. ill try to find the site where somebody says it. I guess it's not exactly credible unless they cite a study or reliable source though. :P

I'll be honest, it sounds absurd on the face of it but I'm always willing to learn something new!

Archived