Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aaron's Rimless 18" Cube

aaron1987

any photos of what you have done so far?

I know... worthless without pics! I've been snapping steadily away so I do have pics but won't have the chance to upload them until later tonight or early tomorrow.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know... worthless without pics! I've been snapping steadily away so I do have pics but won't have the chance to upload them until later tonight or early tomorrow.

haha thats cool man. cant wait o see them :D

• 2 weeks later...
Joe'sInTheHouse

Wow your 47g tank is incredible! Beautiful colours and awesome scape! :)

I will be following your thread with excitement. Can't wait to see how this cube is going to turn out!

AA order come in alright?

I hear what you are trying to say about the scape. Most of the time in tanks the scape really only matters when you see most of the rock. Once its grown in with different colored corals, etc., you won't notice the rock too much. At least that's what I tell myself lol.

Wow your 47g tank is incredible! Beautiful colours and awesome scape! :)

I will be following your thread with excitement. Can't wait to see how this cube is going to turn out!

Thanks! Glad to hear people are interested in this build.

AA order come in alright?

I hear what you are trying to say about the scape. Most of the time in tanks the scape really only matters when you see most of the rock. Once its grown in with different colored corals, etc., you won't notice the rock too much. At least that's what I tell myself lol.

It did. I'm quite pleased with the whole experience, actually. I went from nothing to a beautifully made custom sump at my door in under a week! And quite true - I've been guilty of getting impatient and putting lots of frags all over the place to fill in tanks too... We'll see how my self control is this time.

Now, for the overdue pictures I've been promising!

Preparing to drill:

8-15-12001.jpg

One hole down. I used a clay bar for auto detailing to form a ring to keep water over the hole. Ghetto, but it worked like a charm!

8-15-12002.jpg

Drilled with bulkheads installed - ready to roll! (You'll also notice my priorities - not completely unpacked in the new place but already setting up an aquarium!)

8-15-12004.jpg

Top down of AA's work. ATO reservoir on the far left, bottom left is the input and skimmer/heater chamber, top right is a series of bubble traps, and then the return compartment for the eheim 1048. No fuge for me. I know they're popular but the truth is that I never experienced a noticeable difference when I ran one on my 29.

8-15-12005.jpg

Playing with 'scape ideas and not entirely happy...

8-15-12008.jpg

Leak and equipment test - everything checks out!

8-15-12017.jpg

Close up of a sump in need of organization....

8-15-12019.jpg

Cloudy FTS...

8-15-12021.jpg

And a closeup of the 'scape.

8-15-12022.jpg

I filled it last week and brought the parameters in line. Now, the waiting begins...

Nice tank and 350w Kessils! Did you buy the 18 cube as used or new?

Thanks! It's actually just the a350 - not the wide model. Light spread is plenty for my purposes!

The cube was used but 'new'-ish. Previous owner never got around to setting it up completely and I saved it from ending up as a FW aquarium.

Awesome!

Looking forward to what you do with this tank. I loved your previous tank!

Thanks! I've got to say I'm an admirer of yours, as well; I love how nicely it grew in and I can't wait to see what you do with your new one :)

Since pictures of a sterile box with sand, rock, and water are somewhat bland, here are a few from my previous setup that have a bit more color and life to them!

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0075-1.jpg

On a somewhat related note, I'm trying to decide what direction to take my stocking this time. Non-negotiable is a BSJF - as required by my girlfriend and a couple of my favorites: some war coral, cyphastrea, and dendro's. The rest is up in the air.

I would like to observe a couple principles if possible: little to nothing in the sand other than the jawfish, and get pairs when available.

Completely agreed! I want to keep a lot of movement so I'm going to end up with some LPS and 2-3 choice colonies of SPS. I don't like the 'collection of twigs' look, vastly prefer a couple larger SPS pieces. We shall see, though. I'm a fan of more minimal aquascapes - no pile 'o rocks here.

I use to have a 22 gallon sps dominated oceanic cube and I piled every sps I could fit in it. Ultimately, maximum diversity wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as I planned on. And just a few favorites would have been much better.

Looking good so far. :)

I use to have a 22 gallon sps dominated oceanic cube and I piled every sps I could fit in it. Ultimately, maximum diversity wasn't as aesthetically pleasing as I planned on. And just a few favorites would have been much better.

Looking good so far. :)

Unfortunately I think my 47 was a testament to this as well! The biggest challenge is waiting for them to fill in and not buying more to force the issue... :)

buddythelion

Following along this thread, looks great! And can't wait to see what you do for the BSJF as I just purchased an 18" cube "Solana", so we're tank buddies!

That setup looks great man. I love the right island, left isn't bad either. You are def equipped to get some sweet SPS!

Thanks! I'm definitely a fan of the right side as well. The left is 'okay' but I think it has a lot of possibilities as it grows in. I'll see if I can capture its more photogenic side...

Following along this thread, looks great! And can't wait to see what you do for the BSJF as I just purchased an 18" cube "Solana", so we're tank buddies!

Thanks! I'm a fan of trying to keep them in a viewable spot so I'll do the old PVC pipe trick and release it over the piping. Do you have a build thread for your cube? Also... I want whatever red and orange algae that is in your current setup... very nice!

Tank update:

Cycling.png

so ####ing sick. how do you like that light?

First impressions are positive: it's wonderfully small compared to my old outer orbit and adjusting the spectrum is fun, though now that I have it dialed in I'm not liable to do much more adjusting. On downside, it does seem less bright than halide but not significantly so and I was expecting it. The real test is how the coral like it.

When you going to start adding?

I haven't tested yet so I'm not sure but I should (hopefully) be good to go when I'm back from my vacation on the 10th :)

Looking great :)

Thank you!

Mr. Microscope

Awesome! Another cube! You sure built yours a lot faster than me. So jealous of that sump. Very nice.

Love your 47 Column BTW! Sad to see it go, but I'd chalk it up as a grand success overall.

I love your old colume tank, its a shame you had to get rid of it but im liking this tank too

im sure it will be just if not more impressive then your last

nice job!

Awesome! Another cube! You sure built yours a lot faster than me. So jealous of that sump. Very nice.

Love your 47 Column BTW! Sad to see it go, but I'd chalk it up as a grand success overall.

I've done this enough to know I'm eventually going to end up with the high end equipment anyway and frustration breeds burnout, so I just open the wallet up and get it over with. Helps that I found the aquarium right as quarterly bonuses got paid out... ;)

Btw, I'm digging the approach you're taking with your cube. Trade you stands? Haha

I love your old colume tank, its a shame you had to get rid of it but im liking this tank too

im sure it will be just if not more impressive then your last

nice job!

I certainly hope so too - thanks! I think the sump is a step in the right direction. I have very little exposed equipment and the whole things is almost dead silent. I want this to be as close to a tasteful home decoration as possible.

Archived