Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jamies 13.3g custom

Blueworld

Alright so I managed to save as much as i could and as a result the ball valves sit just slightly lower but its all good everything is back on track, and i got a thicker piece of glass this time and i think I'm becoming very proficient at drilling glass i knocked out those three holes in 10 minutes haha

DSCF2662.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELLLLLLOOOOO LABOUR DAY LONG WEEKEND! time to get serious now, i got a bunch of stuff I want to get done and ill start if off with a trip to the hardware store.

I picked up an ikea Gallant rolling filing cabinet that im going to gut and use as my sump stand, its going to match the rest of the desk and blend perfectly take a look

DSCF2675.jpg

Then I gutted it and started to make all the drawer faces one solid door

DSCF2673.jpg

DSCF2672.jpg

After that was done I used my dremel to recess the hinges so that the door would be centred again, then i put a magnet lock on it and voila!

DSCF2674.jpg

I still need to paint and seal the inside of the cabinet to make the wood water tight but its getting closer!

Then I moved my attention to the desk and how I was going to run my plumbing and this was my solution

DSCF2665.jpg

I think it worked out really well, kept everything nice and clean i think.

DSCF2667.jpg

DSCF2670.jpg

Then my ADD kicked in and i put some felt pads on the bottom of my tank cus it wasnt to fun to move around it liked to scratch the table haha

DSCF2669.jpg

More to come tonight!

So the labours of the labour day long weekend are over and here is what i have to show for it!

DSCF2676.jpg

DSCF2677.jpg

DSCF2678.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

DSCF2683.jpg

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2685.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

Still more work to be done, I have to go pick up a 15g long tomorrow and start to plumb and baffle the sump, once that is done i need to paint and seal the inside of the cabinet and run wire for a separate GFI plug that will power the cabinet and the whole tank. Then its on to the wet stuff and aquascaping!

Looks like the cabinet for the sump is on casters. Will there be an issue if it's accidentally pulled or moved when the plumbing is complete. Can you quick disconnects on the return/overflow pipes between the table top and entry/exit area of the cabinet.

Sick build. Love the wave box.

this build looks hella sick , sticking around wish i had the time talent

and funds to do this lol

good luck on the build

Thanks very much! its mostly just time that built this, ive built a few before and knew what i did wrong and wanted to fix this time around so yeah pretty much just time and planning that got me where im at haha

Looks like the cabinet for the sump is on casters. Will there be an issue if it's accidentally pulled or moved when the plumbing is complete. Can you quick disconnects on the return/overflow pipes between the table top and entry/exit area of the cabinet.

Sick build. Love the wave box.

Yeah the cabinet is on caster wheels, I dont think it will be a problem as its sitting on carpet and the cabinet is designed as a filing cabinet and the caster wheels are rated at 100lbs each, but I have another one under my desk that is full and weighs quite a bit and its a pain in the ass to move cus its sunk into the carpet so im not to worried about the sump. Yes ill be able to disconnect just above the cabinet with the use of union joints, so i can move the cabinet separate from the tank and the tank separate from the desk because of the union ball valves

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone SORRY its been soooo long i have been really busy with work and the tank but ive got some more stuff done and i think its about time you got the full scoop on whats up!

Sooo bad things happened, the entire back of the tank blew out from a tiny tiny crack that developed over time so the tank sat on my desk looking very sad to say the least but while it sat there it gave me time to work on other aspects like the stand

it went off the paint and here is what happened

DSCF2933.jpg

DSCF2934.jpg

DSCF2935.jpg

DSCF2936.jpg

DSCF2937.jpg

DSCF2938.jpg

DSCF2939.jpg

Then it got fitted for a 15 gallon long sump that I only needed to trim the back moulding on to get it to fit flush with the back and leave me with about a half inch of room in the front

DSCF2940.jpg

DSCF2941.jpg

Then it was done!...for the moment :)

DSCF2942.jpg

And now that i have found some time I can finally play catch up! ill be able to take this pile of greatness

DSCF3544.jpg

And use it to turn this pathetic sight into something worth seeing!

DSCF2688.jpg

Alight then, so the first thing on my list was tearing apart the old glass to see what I could slavage from it and let me tell you, because i made everything such a tight fit pretty much all of the plumbing had to get trashed along with the bulkheads and the majority of the glass, but i was able to save the wave box, so its going to get cleaned up and we siliconed and put back into action so thats a bonus, other then that its going to be all new.

I started with the holes in my new glass for the overflow which i beefed up to a heavty 6mm glass along with the new back panel.

DSCF3545.jpg

DSCF3548.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

DSCF3550.jpg

Then as i waited for that to dry i turned to the fans and the heater vent that you can see in the picture with the kangaroo jerky! This is what i intend on doing with those

DSCF3553.jpg

I laid them out and wired them up rather crudely to a USB plug and made sure they were blowing the right way before i screwed them down

DSCF3552.jpg

DSCF3555.jpg

DSCF3556.jpg

Then i cleaned up the wires and now they are ready for the transplant into the side of the sump cabinet to help keep things cool, I put them to a UBS plug so i can run them off my APEX base unit when i get around to ordering that, they will also be running in combination with an ambient temp sensor to regulate their speed and weather or not they are on or off

Aside from a few nasty set backs, this is an incredible build. You gots some skillz there! I'm kinda suprised that more folks don't utilize that Bean Animal overflow when doing their diy builds.

Aside from a few nasty set backs, this is an incredible build. You gots some skillz there! I'm kinda suprised that more folks don't utilize that Bean Animal overflow when doing their diy builds.

I agree!! they are super quiet and extremely easy to control and by far the safest overflow out there, and when your dealing with just a small tank the likely hood of something going wrong is just as high as a big tank. I love the bean animal overflows I don't think i would use anything else

Today we tackle a few things, starting with the glass that needs to be drilled and cut for an overflow and wavebox, then the plumbing!

The hole for the wave box

DSCF3562.jpg

Next is my return line

DSCF3567.jpg

Then the overflow, untill i realized that i needed a new dremel bit to cut the glass

DSCF3568.jpg

soooooo then i moved on to the plumbing!

DSCF3563.jpg

DSCF3565.jpg

DSCF3564.jpg

DSCF3566.jpg

Hey guys, heres an update on the tank! ITS ACTUALLY A TANK NOW!!!

i spend the last day cutting and setting and being stupidly anal about the silicone but its all done now! i just have to clean it up a bit and then its ready for the last stages of plumbing and then water!!

DSCF3643.jpg

DSCF3645.jpg

DSCF3644.jpg

I also got my sump plumbed to the bottom of the desk, i used flex line to make sure that if anything shifted it would have the room to move and not break things and stress stuff. I also plan on putting in hard wood in the house in the next 4 months so im not sure if that will effect it in anyway but i thought i would be safe rather then sorry

DSCF3648.jpg

DSCF3647.jpg

DSCF3646.jpg

This morning presented itself with a perfect opportunity to get outside and not freeze! so here is the final product in all its tanky glory!

DSCF3655.jpg

DSCF3656.jpg

DSCF3652.jpg

DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF3651.jpg

And here is my shop foreman!

DSCF3658.jpg

Glad to see you are back on track!!! This is the perfect build!!! Lol, I'd love to see this in a 300 gal version!!!!

Glad to see you posting again and very happy to be back on track! A 300g version of this would be worthy of charging admission hahaha

If i could go that big right now I would and I would add a few things to it! like a tidal system and a surge system, and a little remote control submarine with a GoPro to the tv so i could explore my underwater world!!

what pump are you using for the wavebox? did you program it to pulse or something or does it do that in its stock form? could you pm me a link if you have time as to where you purchased it? thanks!

what pump are you using for the wavebox? did you program it to pulse or something or does it do that in its stock form? could you pm me a link if you have time as to where you purchased it? thanks!

Hey tetra, im just using the pump out of a tunze nano wavebox 6206, i took it out of the wave box and then built my own and reused the pump. it comes with a controller for it. You can buy them online pretty much anywhere i got mine used from a local guy

here is a

explaining my process and everything else you might want to know

i NEED to see more!!!

Jrmiller...how can i say no hahaha

here you go!!

today i finished up the return line pluming in the sump cabinet and laid out the sump to see where everything would fit. I also went and picked up a sexy new skimmer from Concept Aquatics here in Calgary! a big thanks to denny and dave if they are out there paying attention!

Pictures!!!

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3667.jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

More to come tonight!

I finally was able to the the finishing touches on the plumbing and got the tank fully setup and wet today!!! I still have the baffle the sump and get to Edmonton to pick up my new Apex, then get it installed and setup, then its on to the foam and rock wall!!!!!

DSCF3692.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg

DSCF3690.jpg

DSCF3689.jpg

DSCF3688.jpg

DSCF3687.jpg

DSCF3686.jpg

DSCF3685.jpg

Archived