ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I have 4 x AI hydra 26s on my 4'6" not the newer HDs one I hasten to add. I was thinking of ways to get more pop from my corals without compromising my current lighting set up. The answer (Ihope) is a colour enhancing 47" Royal blue LED bar so when one of them came up at a reduced price I bought it. I have arranged delivery for Thursday as I have a few busy days coming up next week. Hope it's OK to post a link to them here.

http://www.ukmarinelighting.co.uk/enhancing-royal-blue-led-lighting-bar-47-inch-285-p.asp

• Like 1

Wish you guys were closer, we'd have a feast. Probably over 1/2 of that is going to go to make fish food. I started making it and the locals LOVE it and it's $5 cheaper than what they sell the other stuff for. I make it in a larger chop and puree for corals. Shrimp, scallop, oyster, clam(I didn't forget the clam Paul), mussel and now soft shell crab. The wrasses LOVE the heads too, stick one on the clip and in 10 mins it's cleaned out. Oh yea, I paid $200 for all that shrimp. You younger guys need to develop a network, you need the "I have a guy for that" network.

• Like 1

Albert more on the Oxydator confirming my belief that the Hydrogen Peroxide is broken down into water and oxygen by the catalyst BEFORE the entering the aquarium.

Quote "What makes the Oxydator unique?

The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to water have long been known. It keeps fish in good condition, prevents acute oxygen starvation, stops fungus from growing and halts the build-up of decaying matter which makes the water murky. But regulating the peroxide concentration has always been a problem until now! The Oxydator is a unique new design with a constant, controlled release, giving the exact amount needed at any time. It radically improves the water quality, giving all the benefits mentioned above. The key is a specially developed ceramic which breaks peroxide down completely into water and oxygen. But the Oxydator does not only provide a supply of fresh oxygen. Unlike ordinary aerators, it will not expel CO2, an important plant nutrient, from the tank. It also releases activated oxygen which detoxifies poisons, rendering them completely harmless. With an Oxydator you can keep many more fish in your tank and you do not have to change the water so often. The oxygen supply adjusts to the temperature of a populated pond or tank. An 8 °C increase doubles the amount produced. Approximately 20,000 liter of water will be 100% oxygen-saturated (156 g of oxygen) by 1 liter of 30% peroxide solution at 25 °C. The table below shows the quantities and consumption rates at 25 °C. A simple adjustment gives the figures at other temperatures. An average number of fish and plants is assumed for each volume. As a highly populated tank needs more oxygen, the next highest combination may be more appropriate. The Oxydator also provides economical, purifying activated oxygen for plant-free, highly populated aquaria where aerators satisfy the large oxygen demands."

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia, (and Albert) Bangai cardinals only live one to two years in the sea and a little longer in captivity which I assume is the reason one of mine has the beginnings of cataracts. I have them longer than that and will hope for the best.

Quote:
Unlike many other species of marine fish, the Banggai cardinalfish lacks a planktonic stage in its life history.[4] The species has a short life span, reaching around four years in optimal conditions in captivity, and perhaps 1 to 2 years in the wild.[4]

2015-06-252006.43.56_zpsmbktbaql.jpg

• Like 2

I am happy to report I found my clingfish. No, not dead and dried up on the floor like a prune, but happy and healthy near the place he used to hang out. After I removed a large rock that he used to call home, I couldn't find him for over a week.
But I fed the tank some clams today and he couldn't resist. I saw him dart out for some sushi. Now he settled in in a spot where I can continue target feeding him as he is to lazy to hunt for food himself.
2015-08-162005.50.07_zpsb11pthli.jpg

• Like 2

Added some Royal blues to my Hydra 26s which certainly adds a lot more blue to the tank as per the pic's. There is no dimming just on or off with 28x 3W Bridgelux LED's. They come with 120 degree lenses so I may need to play around with the height of them. Anything blue in my tank certainly shows more inc my blue acros and blue damsels among others. Would like to be able to dim them to play around with the intensity so might look into that

Before they are switched on and just running my Hydra 26s

20160826_143332_zpsji8otkig.jpg

With the royal blues and Hydra 26s on together.

20160826_143402_zps3phbq5te.jpg

• Like 1

I already have orders for 20 lbs of food Albert so it's not going to last very long.

No at that rate it is not going to

AT

Albert more on the Oxydator confirming my belief that the Hydrogen Peroxide is broken down into water and oxygen by the catalyst BEFORE the entering the aquarium.

Quote "What makes the Oxydator unique?

The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to water have long been known. It keeps fish in good condition, prevents acute oxygen starvation, stops fungus from growing and halts the build-up of decaying matter which makes the water murky. But regulating the peroxide concentration has always been a problem until now! The Oxydator is a unique new design with a constant, controlled release, giving the exact amount needed at any time. It radically improves the water quality, giving all the benefits mentioned above. The key is a specially developed ceramic which breaks peroxide down completely into water and oxygen. But the Oxydator does not only provide a supply of fresh oxygen. Unlike ordinary aerators, it will not expel CO2, an important plant nutrient, from the tank. It also releases activated oxygen which detoxifies poisons, rendering them completely harmless. With an Oxydator you can keep many more fish in your tank and you do not have to change the water so often. The oxygen supply adjusts to the temperature of a populated pond or tank. An 8 °C increase doubles the amount produced. Approximately 20,000 liter of water will be 100% oxygen-saturated (156 g of oxygen) by 1 liter of 30% peroxide solution at 25 °C. The table below shows the quantities and consumption rates at 25 °C. A simple adjustment gives the figures at other temperatures. An average number of fish and plants is assumed for each volume. As a highly populated tank needs more oxygen, the next highest combination may be more appropriate. The Oxydator also provides economical, purifying activated oxygen for plant-free, highly populated aquaria where aerators satisfy the large oxygen demands."

Real good article but will it convince the skeptics

??

AT

According to Wikipedia, (and Albert) Bangai cardinals only live one to two years in the sea and a little longer in captivity which I assume is the reason one of mine has the beginnings of cataracts. I have them longer than that and will hope for the best.

Quote:

Unlike many other species of marine fish, the Banggai cardinalfish lacks a planktonic stage in its life history.[4] The species has a short life span, reaching around four years in optimal conditions in captivity, and perhaps 1 to 2 years in the wild.[4]

2015-06-252006.43.56_zpsmbktbaql.jpg

Not long lived for sure !!

AT

I am happy to report I found my clingfish. No, not dead and dried up on the floor like a prune, but happy and healthy near the place he used to hang out. After I removed a large rock that he used to call home, I couldn't find him for over a week.

But I fed the tank some clams today and he couldn't resist. I saw him dart out for some sushi. Now he settled in in a spot where I can continue target feeding him as he is to lazy to hunt for food himself.

2015-08-162005.50.07_zpsb11pthli.jpg

Glad to read he reappeared and that you now know where he has taken up residence

AT

Added some Royal blues to my Hydra 26s which certainly adds a lot more blue to the tank as per the pic's. There is no dimming just on or off with 28x 3W Bridgelux LED's. They come with 120 degree lenses so I may need to play around with the height of them. Anything blue in my tank certainly shows more inc my blue acros and blue damsels among others. Would like to be able to dim them to play around with the intensity so might look into that

Before they are switched on and just running my Hydra 26s

20160826_143332_zpsji8otkig.jpg

With the royal blues and Hydra 26s on together.

Looking real nice wit that added blue !!

AT

• Like 2

The LEDs on my Royal Blue LED bar with 120 degree lenses could be seen while sitting down across from the tank which my eyes didn't much care for . The cure, a cheap simple shade made from white plastic electrical cable cover which I cut to length and cut out 2 notches at the ends so it clipped into the cap ends of the bar. No glue and no fixings required. Job done.

Before the DIY light shade was fitted.

With the DIY light shade fitted.

20160827_163152_zpswi6wak5a.jpg

• Like 1

The LEDs on my Royal Blue LED bar with 120 degree lenses could be seen while sitting down across from the tank which my eyes didn't much care for . The cure, a cheap simple shade made from white plastic electrical cable cover which I cut to length and cut out 2 notches at the ends so it clipped into the cap ends of the bar. No glue and no fixings required. Job done.

Before the DIY light shade was fitted.

With the DIY light shade fitted.

20160827_163152_zpswi6wak5a.jpg

Very clever Les

AT

• Like 1

I have too many bristleworms and too many big bristleworms. They are not normally a problem unless they crawl into bed with you but they are a problem to certain invertebrates. Especially ones that shed like crabs and shrimp. I also have lost baby clams to them many times. My large arrow crab recently shed and I still can't find him, but I know it was bristle worms as I can tell by their smile. The worms wait behind a rock and trip the helpless crab when he walks by.

I designed a few traps for the worms and I normally catch 4 or 5 a night. But now most of my tiny hermit crabs grew into golf ball size creatures and if I look at my tank at night I find 4 of them with the bristle worm trap on their shoulders carrying it around the tank. This is annoying because the trap only works when it is on the gravel. The crabs are all fighting with each other, taking turns trying to get the clam bait out of the trap. Now I am looking for a bowling ball I can use as a weight to keep the crabs from carrying the trap. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

• Like 2

I have too many bristleworms and too many big bristleworms. They are not normally a problem unless they crawl into bed with you but they are a problem to certain invertebrates. Especially ones that shed like crabs and shrimp. I also have lost baby clams to them many times. My large arrow crab recently shed and I still can't find him, but I know it was bristle worms as I can tell by their smile. The worms wait behind a rock and trip the helpless crab when he walks by.

I designed a few traps for the worms and I normally catch 4 or 5 a night. But now most of my tiny hermit crabs grew into golf ball size creatures and if I look at my tank at night I find 4 of them with the bristle worm trap on their shoulders carrying it around the tank. This is annoying because the trap only works when it is on the gravel. The crabs are all fighting with each other, taking turns trying to get the clam bait out of the trap. Now I am looking for a bowling ball I can use as a weight to keep the crabs from carrying the trap. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Problems problems Paul but I am sure you will find a solution to them

AT

I made mine out of 3/4" PVC just for that reason, my issue was the wrasses were going in there and eating the bait. :rant: What about putting a piece of rock on top of it?

Wrasse are clever ?

AT

I REALLY need to stop looking around on Facebook. Some of the people there with their 30 day quarantine makes my head damn near explode. But it's OK to put a new coral in their tank that just arrived from who knows where with God knows what on it. SMH.

• Like 1

I REALLY need to stop looking around on Facebook. Some of the people there with their 30 day quarantine makes my head damn near explode. But it's OK to put a new coral in their tank that just arrived from who knows where with God knows what on it. SMH.

Yes they speak out of both sides of their mouths

• Like 1

They just don't have a clue about the mechanics of microbiology as it pertains to marine systems. Everything you put in there has the possibility to contaminate an aquarium. Be it a piece of coral, live rock, dip net or fish, the possibility is there. Maybe I've been doing this too long and have seen things that boggle even my mind with disease.

• Like 1

They just don't have a clue about the mechanics of microbiology as it pertains to marine systems. Everything you put in there has the possibility to contaminate an aquarium. Be it a piece of coral, live rock, dip net or fish, the possibility is there. Maybe I've been doing this too long and have seen things that boggle even my mind with disease.

That is indeed the case

AT

There is yet another debate going on on a UK forum about fish food with some suggesting dried flake and pellet foods ar e the best foods you can feed your fish. I thought you might be interested in my reply as follows.

" look at it this way.

The one species on earth man knows more about it;s nutritional needs isman himself right? After all billions/trillions have been ploughed into research from many quarters all over the world.

So,How many single dried foods have they developed that you only need to eat that gives you ALL your nutritional needs to sustain you in pearfect health with no need to eat any other product or food at all ?

Is fresh fruit and vegetables better than dried?

Have all the big companies found a man mad dried milk that is the equal of mothers breast milk?

All Answers on a postcard please.

Most companies will tell you how good their dried milk is the best and that you only need their product for a healthy baby etc etc but the fact is after many, many years and millions/billions/trillions of pounds spent they have still not come up with anything as good as natural mothers breast milk …..as far as I am aware.
Why do fish food producers think the relatively small amount of money and research carried out compared to that of human needs has resulted in a perfect dry food? BTW the next perfect fish food is just around the corner.

Of course, yes you can feed your fish on nothing but dried food but please don't try to tell me it's the best you can feed them. There is more to a fishes requirements like their immune system requirements than a flake or pellet of food can provide IMO. I do feed some pellets now and again but the frozen and fresh foods I make myself have served me extremely well over many years.
My fish live long disease free lives and most spawn in my aquarium. I am not about to change my views or feeding regime any day soon. However that is just my take feel free to think differently. BTW I have nothing to sell you fish food wise. wink2.gif"

• Like 2

There is yet another debate going on on a UK forum about fish food with some suggesting dried flake and pellet foods ar e the best foods you can feed your fish. I thought you might be interested in my reply as follows.

" look at it this way.

The one species on earth man knows more about it;s nutritional needs isman himself right? After all billions/trillions have been ploughed into research from many quarters all over the world.

So,How many single dried foods have they developed that you only need to eat that gives you ALL your nutritional needs to sustain you in pearfect health with no need to eat any other product or food at all ?

Is fresh fruit and vegetables better than dried?

Have all the big companies found a man mad dried milk that is the equal of mothers breast milk?

All Answers on a postcard please.

Most companies will tell you how good their dried milk is the best and that you only need their product for a healthy baby etc etc but the fact is after many, many years and millions/billions/trillions of pounds spent they have still not come up with anything as good as natural mothers breast milk ..as far as I am aware.

Why do fish food producers think the relatively small amount of money and research carried out compared to that of human needs has resulted in a perfect dry food? BTW the next perfect fish food is just around the corner.

Of course, yes you can feed your fish on nothing but dried food but please don't try to tell me it's the best you can feed them. There is more to a fishes requirements like their immune system requirements than a flake or pellet of food can provide IMO. I do feed some pellets now and again but the frozen and fresh foods I make myself have served me extremely well over many years.

My fish live long disease free lives and most spawn in my aquarium. I am not about to change my views or feeding regime any day soon. However that is just my take feel free to think differently. BTW I have nothing to sell you fish food wise. wink2.gif"

Well said Les

AT

I didn't even know there was dried milk. Does that come from a dried cow?

For all those people feeding nothing but dried, sterile foods, let me know how long those fish live "disease" free or spawn.

Without quarantining of course as that is the natural way and my only way

• Like 3