Pod Your Reef

a Wisconsin Reef... my experiences in aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Got some awesome news today!!!! A new pair is now laying eggs!!! Video uploading right now! Stay tuned!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alpha Aquaculture

You guys gotta check out this pair that just laid tonight for the first time ever. I'm not exactly sure but since I purchased this pair in July I would guess they were a year old when I got them, that makes them 19 months old. Let me know what you guys think :)

Sustainable Aquatics Extreme Snow Onyx

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/f83r4w

Alpha Aquaculture

Thanks guys! The eggs were gone this morning but I feel like that's totally normal. I give em 3-4 months and they will be pros at it :)

• 4 weeks later...
Lots of new things happening at the shop lately. I'm gonna get some photos up soon!

hey kris congrats on the snow onyx clutch, one question i have is whats that bump on the females lower lip? reason i ask is because i have a huge female snow onyx as well and she has the same bump,, it bothers the hell outta me, i literally want to get a razor a slice it off!! any ideas anyone???

Alpha Aquaculture
hey kris congrats on the snow onyx clutch, one question i have is whats that bump on the females lower lip? reason i ask is because i have a huge female snow onyx as well and she has the same bump,, it bothers the hell outta me, i literally want to get a razor a slice it off!! any ideas anyone???

Thanks! I have a theory on the bump. If anyone has any other info please feel free to share here for everyone. The issue of chin bumps is like cauliflower ear in wrestlers. Its the bruising and then swollen healing over time that creates the bump. There are many reasons for the chin bumps. An aggressive clown that charges the glass, their temperment, the way they are handled, the size and material of transport and catching containers, the shape of their face, possibly a genetic predisposition to the swollen healed look.

Awesome, what all is going on? Sounds interesting.

We are nearing the end of the construction phase :) That means we will have a lot more saltwater to play with! Also, less time spent building more time with the animals themselves. We have been exploring different business models and getting in some very exciting new corals and fish. Most importantly, there are a bunch more members being added to the team. I am giving up around 50% of the profits to these profit sharing employees. Basically, more cool saltwater animals, more tanks, more people, more fun!!!

Alpha Aquaculture
Will you hire me? :flower:

I so need a fun job XD Working around fish would be awesome.

Whatup! I would be interested in sitting down with you and talking about it all. You should see the shop these days. We have a lot of potential with all the tank space that will open up after the final plumbing jobs. Hit me up!

Alpha Aquaculture
I like this: "We are the premiere online clownfish dating service!"

I'm doing it one better! WYSIWYG anemones and clowns, make your own trio! I just sold my first WYSIWYG trio this morning!!! Gonna get some anemones on there by themselves so the three can be all mix and matched.

smitty_1280
I'm doing it one better! WYSIWYG anemones and clowns, make your own trio! I just sold my first WYSIWYG trio this morning!!! Gonna get some anemones on there by themselves so the three can be all mix and matched.

Ok, now there is an idea. The only problem with that is that not all clowns are attracted to anemones lol.

Alpha Aquaculture

Check it out!

ORA Picasso female x Snowcasso male

I purchased this pair from Rudy, oceancube, and he shipped them on 3-12-2012. Today, 3-27-2012 they have already laid a nice little clutch. He told me they are like clockwork laying every 14 days. I received them and almost to the hour they hit the tank they laid 14 days later. Such a beautiful pair of clowns. I feel blessed and hope these eggs do well :) Thanks Rudy!

2012-3-27-IMG_8717.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8699.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8694.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8711.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8721.jpg

Check it out!

ORA Picasso female x Snowcasso male

I purchased this pair from Rudy, oceancube, and he shipped them on 3-12-2012. Today, 3-27-2012 they have already laid a nice little clutch. He told me they are like clockwork laying every 14 days. I received them and almost to the hour they hit the tank they laid 14 days later. Such a beautiful pair of clowns. I feel blessed and hope these eggs do well :) Thanks Rudy!

2012-3-27-IMG_8717.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8699.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8694.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8711.jpg

2012-3-27-IMG_8721.jpg

congrats kris that was fast... up her feedings to 3-4 times a day and she'll get back to those nice big clutches.... kit thanks a bunch kris!!!

woods4542000
congrats kris that was fast... up her feedings to 3-4 times a day and she'll get back to those nice big clutches.... kit thanks a bunch kris!!!

That male is nice!!

Alpha Aquaculture

Thanks! I'm gonna pull those eggs on Tuesday. Do their eggs usually hatch on the 7th night? The other pair, the Onyx, that I got from you have eggs that hatch from 8-10 days. I thought the eggs were dead from the last pot and they hatched on the 10th night. The babies are smaaaaall.

I'm making a new strategy to ensure frequent feedings. Its on my list of stuff to do tonight :)

Thanks! I'm gonna pull those eggs on Tuesday. Do their eggs usually hatch on the 7th night? The other pair, the Onyx, that I got from you have eggs that hatch from 8-10 days. I thought the eggs were dead from the last pot and they hatched on the 10th night. The babies are smaaaaall.

I'm making a new strategy to ensure frequent feedings. Its on my list of stuff to do tonight :)

picasso/snowcasso fry would hatch on day 8-9, that batch she had was small compared to the normal batches that were laid here in my home, i did overfeed them all the time so i guess that had something to do with it. but yeah day 8-9 all fry are out of egg, at least when i had them..

Alpha Aquaculture

Another pair has laid for the first time today! This time its the...

CALI Vivid Percula female x JCA Picasso male

These guys are awesome!!! First time for both!!!

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/m/9I4Lme

2012-4-4-IMG_8796.jpg

Look at how big she is :)

2012-4-4-IMG_8797.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8798.jpg

Absolutely perfect pectoral fins on both of these!

2012-4-4-IMG_8767.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8765.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8759.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8766.jpg

2012-4-4-IMG_8768.jpg

Archived