inTank Media Baskets

Ryan's 40b - break down 4/1

ry05coupe

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I actually think that's the main reason my tank hasn't become a big tank of crap through my current lazy spell. Initially I tested for nitrate and phosphate, but now I just keep an eye on the corals and go by how they are looking. The big thing to look out for is alk swings, I was dosing too much at one point and had a big one which caused a few millis to STN. However, my experiences with it as a whole have been awesome, and I reccomend it to anyone who could have a use for it... I mean, I have an overstocked & overfed 40b that I've changed 5g in over the past three months, yet everything is great and I don't have any nuisance algae growth.

so you still dose? what test kits did you use?

i have 0 nitrate, and my phosphate is about .5, but i have tons of GHA. do you think it is still good to dose?

so you still dose? what test kits did you use?

i have 0 nitrate, and my phosphate is about .5, but i have tons of GHA. do you think it is still good to dose?

Yeah I'd say so. I use API for everything except phosphate, and I use Salifert for that. That's the same problem i had with this 40b the first time around, and phosphate was the real issue. Vodka dosing with a decent skimmer took it from this:

24y0lye.jpg

dctycw.jpg

sfufm8.jpg

to 0 GHA in about 2 months total.

I read your whole thread, and WOW ! very nice 40b. I have a 40b now, and I am needing to add rock, so I went to the marco rock site, and which rock did you get, and how much ?

Thx,

chris

I read your whole thread, and WOW ! very nice 40b. I have a 40b now, and I am needing to add rock, so I went to the marco rock site, and which rock did you get, and how much ?

Thx,

chris

Got it! Thanks dude.

sweetness. im going to work out a dosing schedule tommorrow.

Definitely. To have the Midas blenny too right! With the vodka you'll be able to fatten him up well without messing up your water. I only dose .4ml a day too, so be sure not to over do it.

How does vodka fatten a midas blenny?

Hey Ryan, how is everything, still hanging in there ya? And how is the family?

Well it will indirectly lol, because vodka dosing will allow him to feed the blenny more without having to worry about excess nutrients. It's great when you have fish that need to eat a lot because you can feed a ton without worrying about N and P.

Pretty good Kat, you? Things are settling down here family wise, hoping to get more onto the tank again soon (until I get back to school!).

Aye....carbon source = food source

hoew do you like your new fishies so far ryan? did it reignite the spark?

lol. I like them a lot, and I really like how much algae they eat. I never have to clean the back glass/overflow anymore :D.

Some new (crappy) pics.

FTS

P3180003.jpg

ORA Scripps acro

P3180005.jpg

Two Spot Blenny (male)

P3180010.jpg

Tricolor acro

P3180011.jpg

ORA Bird of Paradise

P3180020.jpg

ORA Echinata

P3180018.jpg

Green & Blue Acro w/ acro crab

P3180019.jpg

P3180014.jpg

ORA Scripps stag 11/21/2011

P1010029.jpg

ORA Scripps stag 2/5/2012

P3180013.jpg

Blue tip acro & Hifin goby 9/27/2011

PB090025.jpg

Blue tip acro & Hifin goby 11/21/2011

P1010022.jpg

Blue tip acro & Hifin goby 2/5/2012 (almost six months later and the hifin hasn't moved lol)

P3180015.jpg

What growth! I'm liking the direction of this tank. :)

Thank you! Wish it was a big bigger now, just because I want a bunch of fish lol. And now that some of the SPS colonies are growing they're taking up a lot of space.

• 2 weeks later...

All but one of these pics were taken at night under a 3w LED flaslight.

Traded in my frogspawn for this little turd:

kjg.jpg

Here is the Female clown getting used to it on day 2:

P3180020-1.jpg

But they both still like the security of a big euphyllia:

hj9.jpg

& Two night PE shots. First one has lost a lot of color because some redbugs have taken up residence on it.

try.jpg

yfinbg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Either breaking the tank down and downgrading to something big enough to keep the clowns/nem or turning it into a softie tank. Just don't have the time/interest that it requires anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Sold everything in the tank today but the clowns, hifin & pistol, ORA BOP, ORA Hawkins and a few pieces of LR. Looking at either downgrading or softie tank.

Archived