Pod Your Reef

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
what's the college team? I'll post a game day dress for ya

It's just a community college, but I think we're the Ohlone Indians.

Cupcakes are cute... :rolleyes:

Would post a My Little Pony meme about cupcakes, but I don't want to spam your thread with pics... :)

Not cute. EPIC! Let me know next time you're going to come by the store and I'll bring cupcakes.

Thanks for being considerate :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not cute. EPIC! Let me know next time you're going to come by the store and I'll bring cupcakes.

Thanks for being considerate :)

No, it's cute. That's why the my little ponies do it. -_-

Do you watch that show cupcake wars? They like bake cow tongue or shizz like that into cupcakes and it tastes and looks amazing!

altolamprologus
No, it's cute. That's why the my little ponies do it. -_-

I bake cupcakes too, sometimes. :flower:

Yeah but mine are the sh!t.

Just kidding I'm sure your are great too :D

Ha! I caught it before you edited! Yeah I watch that show sometimes, but they are more into making them look good than having them taste amazing. I'm all about taste first, looks second.

Yeah but mine are the sh!t.

Just kidding I'm sure your are great too :D

CRAP I did some important editing to make it awesomer... And my cupcakes suck. I buy betty crocker mix from dem dar general store and pull the shizz off the top when I apply icing. I put sprinkles in the icing. They're good, but I'm like sensitive to sweet things so my lips go numb and they feel all high and stuff... IDK...

But do you watch cupcake wars? If you're cupcakes are die scheisse, then you may get some cool ideas from that. Like cow brain and brandy cupcakes.

EDIT: Oh schnitzle, you edited when you saw my edit and my question seems repetitive... :unsure:

altolamprologus
CRAP I did some important editing to make it awesomer... And my cupcakes suck. I buy betty crocker mix from dem dar general store and pull the shizz off the top when I apply icing. I put sprinkles in the icing. They're good, but I'm like sensitive to sweet things so my lips go numb and they feel all high and stuff... IDK...

But do you watch cupcake wars? If you're cupcakes are die scheisse, then you may get some cool ideas from that. Like cow brain and brandy cupcakes.

EDIT: Oh schnitzle, you edited when you saw my edit and my question seems repetitive... :unsure:

I got a couple ideas from them, but I'm not gonna put cow brains in my cupcakes no matter how cool they make it look.

Lol@ your edit. No one will even notice. Except maybe Kat. She notices things you would rather leave unnoticed...

altolamprologus

The female mandarin seems to be MIA. :tears: The male should be following her around like a lovesick puppy like he does every night without fail, but instead he's cruising around picking at pods as if there's no other mandarin in the tank. She's normally really shy and reclusive, but she didn't even come out at feeding time :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

The female mandarin seems to be MIA. :tears: The male should be following her around like a lovesick puppy like he does every night without fail, but instead he's cruising around picking at pods as if there's no other mandarin in the tank. She's normally really shy and reclusive, but she didn't even come out at feeding time :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

AH CRAP! :angry:

My first clownfish, my first saltwater fish ever, which I loved dearly, was MIA one day. Couldn't find it anywhere and I tore the tank apart looking for it. The only thing that was in the tank with it was another 1/2" clown and a cleaner shrimp, which was most certainly not fat. Same happened with my bangaii cardinal. Just don't know what happened!

I hope you find her. Maybe she got stuck in a rock in the back. I wouldn't have know that my female SA fancy was stuck if I hadn't seen her get stuck. She was all the way in the back shoved in a hole that wasn't exactly visible. That's what my bet is on, so if you don't mind disturbing the rest of the tank just to find out what happened, I would lift up as many rocks as possible, but that looks like it would be pretty hard to do.

I feel your pain. I know I would be devastated if one of my clowns disappeared. Maybe she didn't disappear for a bad reason. Maybe she wasn't stuck in a rock or something horrible like that. Maybe it was just old age. Did you know her age when you got her? :tears:

After all, it's just a fish. I know that everyone in this hobby becomes emotionally attached to their fish, but if you never find her, you could always get another one and you'll end up loving it just as much, and you'll forget about this one like I forgot about my pain of the MIA clown and cardinal, which I was crying hard over for twenty minutes and sobbing at my computer for the rest of the day.

Good luck. :(

altolamprologus
AH CRAP! :angry:

My first clownfish, my first saltwater fish ever, which I loved dearly, was MIA one day. Couldn't find it anywhere and I tore the tank apart looking for it. The only thing that was in the tank with it was another 1/2" clown and a cleaner shrimp, which was most certainly not fat. Same happened with my bangaii cardinal. Just don't know what happened!

I hope you find her. Maybe she got stuck in a rock in the back. I wouldn't have know that my female SA fancy was stuck if I hadn't seen her get stuck. She was all the way in the back shoved in a hole that wasn't exactly visible. That's what my bet is on, so if you don't mind disturbing the rest of the tank just to find out what happened, I would lift up as many rocks as possible, but that looks like it would be pretty hard to do.

I feel your pain. I know I would be devastated if one of my clowns disappeared. Maybe she didn't disappear for a bad reason. Maybe she wasn't stuck in a rock or something horrible like that. Maybe it was just old age. Did you know her age when you got her? :tears:

After all, it's just a fish. I know that everyone in this hobby becomes emotionally attached to their fish, but if you never find her, you could always get another one and you'll end up loving it just as much, and you'll forget about this one like I forgot about my pain of the MIA clown and cardinal, which I was crying hard over for twenty minutes and sobbing at my computer for the rest of the day.

Good luck. :(

She's not that old. She wasn't even full grown yet. And she's not just a fish Euphy. She was my first mandarin. I hand picked her from the wholesaler after months of looking for the perfect one. I trained her onto frozen in 2 days, flakes in 6. I saved her life when she got a bad blood infection. I put her life in my hands and I failed her.

I can't tear apart the tank looking for her. The corals are so grown in I wouldn't be able to move any rocks without killing half of them. I just have to hope she'll show up one day.

Sorry to hear about the missing Mandy, hope she's just laying eggs in private or something.

They're pelagic spawners so I doubt that. I can't stop thinking she got that same infection again and is laying in a crevice slowly dying :(

My Yellow Clown Goby disappeared for almost a month once, then randomly one day came back, still healthy and fat :huh:

I think your mandarin is just building a secret tunnel to China

altolamprologus
My Yellow Clown Goby disappeared for almost a month once, then randomly one day came back, still healthy and fat :huh:

I think your mandarin is just building a secret tunnel to China

I hope that's the case. It's just weird because she has never once missed mealtime (it was her favorite food too) and she has never been able to escape the male's courting.

I have 2 theories as to what might have happened. 1: she got stung badly by a hammer and died (or is hiding while recovering). I say this because I see her swim right through the hammers tentacles sometimes. I would think they would sting her. 2: that pistol shrimp I suspect I have got her. But, I'm not positive I have a pistol, and why wouldn't it go after all my tiny inverts, all of which have been accounted for?

I remember we saw her when you were over here, and both my mom and my brother saw her as recently as a couple days ago so idk what could have happened

Did you find the female mandarin? I haven't even posted an update on my thread but am doing it here. I've wanted a mandy for the longest time but did not think I could sustain one. Well! I got one yesterday! Percy is a green mandarin and I saw him eat nutramar ova at the store before I bought him. He so beautiful I feel priviledged to have him. Fed ova this morning and have seen him pecking at the rocks as he explores the tank. I'm also moving my clumps pf macros back and forth from the BC to the RSM, transporting pods growing in that tank to the mandy tank during the day and letting them home in the macro at night before moving the macro back to the RSM. Keeping my fingers crossed.

altolamprologus
Did you find the female mandarin? I haven't even posted an update on my thread but am doing it here. I've wanted a mandy for the longest time but did not think I could sustain one. Well! I got one yesterday! Percy is a green mandarin and I saw him eat nutramar ova at the store before I bought him. He so beautiful I feel priviledged to have him. Fed ova this morning and have seen him pecking at the rocks as he explores the tank. I'm also moving my clumps pf macros back and forth from the BC to the RSM, transporting pods growing in that tank to the mandy tank during the day and letting them home in the macro at night before moving the macro back to the RSM. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No still no sign of her. She's definitely a goner, the only question is what happened? She was fat and happy just before she disappeared (yoshii is my witness) so there's absolutely no way she starved. I'll get my male a new girlfriend eventually, but it won't be anytime soon unless I see one that's irresistible.

That's great yours is doing well though! Since it's already eating dead foods you should have no problem getting it to eat other frozen foods. Moving macros between tanks is a great idea. You could also do that with something like a course netting tied in a big ball.

Thanks, how do I culture copepods? Someone I was talking to today said I just need a small tank, even a bucket will do. Deep sand bed, green water, airstone. done. Is that true?

BTW I could not find any college team colors for Ohlone Indians

altolamprologus
Thanks, how do I culture copepods? Someone I was talking to today said I just need a small tank, even a bucket will do. Deep sand bed, green water, airstone. done. Is that true?

BTW I could not find any college team colors for Ohlone Indians

It depends on the species. Do you know what species you want to culture? I suggest Tisbe biminiensis or Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus (I have not cultures this one yet, but it is the next species on my list)

It's ok. I don't even know what our colors are. I don't follow amateur sports.

Lucas in alaska

Thanks for the reply on my tank.

I had to come over and look at your 29 and I really like it. You did a great job getting a lot of corals in a fairly small space and the color differentiation really keeps you eyes moving. Awesome tank.

altolamprologus
Thanks for the reply on my tank.

I had to come over and look at your 29 and I really like it. You did a great job getting a lot of corals in a fairly small space and the color differentiation really keeps you eyes moving. Awesome tank.

Thanks Lucas :) The key is to plan everything out ahead of time. I never bought a coral without first knowing exactly where it was going so I think that helped a lot in getting corals that can be right next to each other and fill in all the space.

Lucas in alaska
Thanks Lucas :) The key is to plan everything out ahead of time. I never bought a coral without first knowing exactly where it was going

I do agree with you on this. When I go to purchase corals I have a couple of things I assess. I like to see movement, I find it very relaxing. The size is important, my xenia is getting almost too big but I still like it and may frag it out a little. Color, I almost have too many green corals but I’m going to keep them. I like to vary the colors up like you and keep the eye moving. I think I might sell some of my frags and add some King Midas Zoa's this week. The yellow would really pop against all the purple and greens.

I hope to upgrade to a 40 breeder by mid summer.

It depends on the species. Do you know what species you want to culture? I suggest Tisbe biminiensis or Pseudodiaptomus pelagicus (I have not cultures this one yet, but it is the next species on my list)

Yes Tisbe Bimini are suggested for Mandarins. So how do I start cultivating them for Percy?

Thanks

altolamprologus
Yes Tisbe Bimini are suggested for Mandarins. So how do I start cultivating them for Percy?

Thanks

I have mine in several 2-liter soda bottles (minus the soda of course). I keep the SG around 1.025 and feed them flake food once or twice a week. I harvest each bottle about every 2 weeks and get several hundred from each, but I could easily harvest much more without hurting the population. I do water changes every 2-3 harvests by pouring the water through a brine shrimp net (like I would on a normal harvest) then replacing 50-75% of the water with newly mixed saltwater and adding the captured pods to my tanks. Another way to harvest and get a better yield is to pour all the water through a 500 micron sieve and replace with 100% new saltwater at each harvest. It keeps the water cleaner and there will be more than enough pods left clinging to the side to re-start the culture. The only reason why I don't do that is because I haven't gotten around to buying sieves yet.

^that too :lol:

Thanks for the copepod info.

Have you tried cultivating the reefcleaners pods? I ordered them, if I were to use that as a culture to get a variety of pods, would the method be the same?

Also for the Tisbe, algagen right?

altolamprologus
Thanks for the copepod info.

Have you tried cultivating the reefcleaners pods? I ordered them, if I were to use that as a culture to get a variety of pods, would the method be the same?

Also for the Tisbe, algagen right?

It's always a pleasure, Kat :)

The problem about starting a culture from the reefcleaners pods is that it comes with amphipods which eat copepods. It would inevitably become an amphipod culture which isn't of much benefit to mandarins. Even if it didn't have amphipods, mixed species cultures will eventually be dominated by one species, negating your attempts at variety.

Yes, algagen

Archived