Innovative Marine Aquariums

new-b-reefers LED picotope (pic heavy!)

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

finally recieved and built my aquastyles led kit :D

a special thanks to Trogdor447 for the inspiration, walkthrough, and detail build thread of his aquastyles kit :) thanks buddy

here are pics of my build :)

IMAG0842.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0846.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

IMAG0848.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG0851.jpg

IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0854.jpg

IMAG0855.jpg

IMAG0856.jpg

And here are some pictures with the light over the tank. Please forgive the temporary ghetto pvc stand. It is just to elevate the light a bit off the glass lid until I can build something to suspend the light above the tank

The first pic is of the tank with the old dual t5 light fixture

The second one is of the tank with the new leds

1olddualt5lighting.jpg

2newhighpowerleds.jpg

IMAG0860.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

IMAG0862.jpg

IMAG0864.jpg

IMAG0867.jpg

IMAG0868.jpg

IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0870.jpg

IMAG0871.jpg

IMAG0872.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

IMAG0880.jpg

cant wait to get it suspended over the tank a bit higher and get some better light spread and blend over the tank. i held the light up a couple inches higher and the lights blend perfectly. in time but still looks awesome :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
new-b-reefer
cheap kit. hopefully the LEDs are as good as Cree brand.

They are bridgelux leds. Same ones in all of their kits. So far from what I read from uses on nanoreef, they seem to be getting great results.

Trogdor447 has one of the larger kits and has been getting good results.

new-b-reefer
Looks great, nice job! Hopefully all those mushies don't mind the new bright light.

Thanks, yeah I think the mushrooms should adjust. The first coral I ever got was one of those and those are all spawns from that original one, I have had them under the nanocube 105 cf, the little coralife t5, my 4xt5 ho's. It seems no matter what light they do great so I have some faith in them :) we will see. It will be better once I get that light suspended a bit too. I'm gonna try and see what I can figure out tonight when I get home :)

bwoodward0012

i like it, thinkin about getting one of these kits for my 12" cube now, specifically the 12 x 3w kit with 6 blue 4 white and 2 violet, and seeing if they'll swap the heat sink for a shorter and wider one thats listed for the same price.

new-b-reefer
i like it, thinkin about getting one of these kits for my 12" cube now, specifically the 12 x 3w kit with 6 blue 4 white and 2 violet, and seeing if they'll swap the heat sink for a shorter and wider one thats listed for the same price.

you should, now that i have done it, i will join those in encouraging everyone else to do it. the colors are amazing and the shimmer is sweeeeeeeet lol

bwoodward0012

im already using a par38 so i see some of the benefits of leds (low energy, low heat, shimmer effect), but i want better spread and color, so something like this would be ideal.

new-b-reefer
im already using a par38 so i see some of the benefits of leds (low energy, low heat, shimmer effect), but i want better spread and color, so something like this would be ideal.

yeah, with the kits you get to choose where you want your leds, spread them out a bit more. is there a way maybe you can change out the optics oneyou par38

new-b-reefer

updated pic, still temporary but got the light suspended up higher and the coverage is great. much better. going to make one out of probably metal conduit. same idea but much more attractive i hope and less ghetto. and it wont have to sit on the lid lol

IMAG0883.jpg

IMAG0884.jpg

IMAG0885.jpg

IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

IMAG0889.jpg

IMAG0891.jpg

IMAG0893.jpg

IMAG0895.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

IMAG0897.jpg

IMAG0898.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg

IMAG0900.jpg

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0903.jpg

i know, lots of pics lol

everyone likes pics though ;)

tank looks very nice with the new fixture. when i saw the bottom half of the rig in that first photo i thought that it didnt look too bad at all, but when i saw the whole thing with the upper half in later pics, i could see why you would want to possibly remake it in the future haha!

First pic, that FTS turned out amazing :)

Aquastyles ftw!! tank looks good dude - cant wait to get my fts with suspended and sump running - going to be running a sick light for my sump

• 2 weeks later...

went to reef-a-palooza this weekend :) picked up some new corals for the pico reef :) re scaped the tank a bit to make room for the corals. got 2 sps, my first sps plunge, figured now that i have my lighting or to par (pun intended lol) that i would try some out.

corals i added:

-birdsnest (green)

-montipora (green with red polyps)

-purple kenya tree

-florida ricordea

-lps i need an id on please. its either a war coral, brian coral, or favia i think. was sold to me as a war paint something, i forgot the name. please help id

im excited about the new colors it brings to the tank :)

feedback always welcome :)

here are pics

birdsnestspscoral.jpg

floridaricordeamushroomsoftcoral.jpg

IMAG0977.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

IMAG0979.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

purplekenyatreesoftleathercoral.jpg

redpolypgreenapplemontiporaspscoral.jpg

warcorallpscoral.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0990.jpg

IMAG0976.jpg

its a favia/warcoral

all sps should start at the bottom or they'll lose color from shock...

nice additions!

Ok cool, war coral/favia was what I was thinking. :)

And thanks for the tip on the sps. The monti is at or near the bottom already and the birds nest I can move later. All of its polyps opened and its looking good right now after only about a day and a half, should I still move to the bottom or will that shock it from being moved again? I'm new to sps so sorry in advance for any dumb questions I may ask lol.

its a favia/warcoral

all sps should start at the bottom or they'll lose color from shock...

nice additions!

Oh and thanks for the compliment :D

nice additions looking good as always. How is your coral growth? Most of mine i cant really monitor because they had a ton of polyps on.. i made a GSP frag and of course its growing like a weed.. Got a sea hare.. he did some damage to my gha while i was in vegas.. hes got a long way to go though!

yes move it down for a week or so then slowly start moving it up. it will lose color otherwise over time.

Will. Moving it down really make a difference though since because even if I move it to the bottom it is only a difference of like an inch or two. I have the light suspended pretty high and after I put it in I raised it up a little bit more too? Just curious. It still has its nice color and green glow, wish the camera would pick it up lol all the polyps are open

nice additions looking good as always. How is your coral growth? Most of mine i cant really monitor because they had a ton of polyps on.. i made a GSP frag and of course its growing like a weed.. Got a sea hare.. he did some damage to my gha while i was in vegas.. hes got a long way to go though!

I haven't had it going too long but my zoas and mushies seem to be spreading and all is coloring up very well :) I put some gsp in but my damsel has actually been moving it recently lol so it hasn't attached. I need super glue to glue it to a rock. Glad to here the sea hare is a good worker :) as far as growth, I should have taken a polyp count lol. I will have to look more closely, I have really just been paying more attention to all the color but I have noticed growth :D

ok so i totally rescaped and rearranged the pico today. pics to come soon. and just let me add, if you want a challenge lol. try rescaping a 3 gallon reef with almost 1.5 years of age and growth... and still manage to display every coral in the tank when a large amount of them are attached to the main scape structure lol. i must say, im pretty proud of myself :D (pat on the back) lol

pics coming soon

That IS impressive. I find it hard enough to rescape my 3 month old pico.

lol, re scaping any reef for that matter is a challenge ;)

well here are a few pics as promised. i think this displays each coral much better :)

enjoy :) threw a pic of the ac50 fuge and the nice green chaeto, just for fun :)

IMAG1014.jpg

IMAG1004.jpg

IMAG1006.jpg

IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1008.jpg

IMAG1009.jpg

IMAG1010.jpg

IMAG1015.jpg

IMAG1011.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

feedback always welcome ;D

Archived