inTank Media Baskets

new-b-reefers LED picotope (pic heavy!)

new-b-reefer

lovely tank :wub:

i got that stand second hand from another reefer, and i guess they let it get wet and stay wet, because the chrome was rusted and the top was peeling up since it's laminate. loved the storage though, boy did you luck out getting it barely used :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lovely tank :wub:

i got that stand second hand from another reefer, and i guess they let it get wet and stay wet, because the chrome was rusted and the top was peeling up since it's laminate. loved the storage though, boy did you luck out getting it barely used :)

thanks for the compliment :)

yeah i lucked out big time getting this stand in the condition its in. was at a n old lfs i used to go to till i moved. knew the guys pretty well. i saw it just sitting there and asked "so what are your plans with that?" ;)

when he said i could have it for $20 i was all giddy lol

• 2 months later...
new-b-reefer

NEW PICTURES :D

been a while for a pic update :)

re scaped a bit and weeded out some corals, spread them around to my other tanks and gave a friend some frags :) actually fragged my birds nest as well :)

enjoy

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

Your Pico is looking awesome. I see you are having success with hard corals in your tank ie. birdsnest, whatis the key to this... Everyone keeps telling me it is impossible to keep hard corals in a Pico...

+1

new-b-reefer
Your Pico is looking awesome. I see you are having success with hard corals in your tank ie. birdsnest, whatis the key to this... Everyone keeps telling me it is impossible to keep hard corals in a Pico...

+1

Hello and thanks for the compliment :) others alongs with myself have had success with it. In my opinion there are three things. 1 being lighting, 2 water quality, and 3 finding a coral that works for you and your lighting.

My lighting is diy high power led :)

I don't dose anything, I do about a 40 to 50 percent water change every week to replace trace elements.

Birds nest are great and tend to be fairly forgiving and I also have a small frag of montipora in there, green and red and it has been growing also, just a bit more slowly than the birds nest.

So my advice, start with a forgiving sps ie monti or birdsnest or something. Make sure your lighting is up to par, and keep up on water changes and top offs :) also, don't give up or get discouraged :)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes or if I can be of anymore help. :)

• 6 months later...

hello all. yes i still exist lol, yes im still in the hobby, and yes the pico is still up and running :D

i unfortunately lost my blue damsel damian that i had in there for about 2.5 years. died to unknown causes :( the reef is now home to a couple hermits and a sally lightfoot crab :)

also lost some of my more exotic corals (sps & ricordea) due to the crazy heat wave we had. tank temps went up and some of the corals didnt take it so well where others thrived. over all the tank is actually looking great and aging well still. i have 2 muscles on a small rock that are alive, well, and open and close regularly. they must have been super small and have grown large enough now to be visible between the zoas :) i have not added anything to the tank other than the sally lightfoot crab a few weeks ago. anyway. here are some updated pics of my almost 2.5 year old picotope :)

feedback always welcome

2012-10-24195429.jpg

2012-10-22204841.jpg

2012-10-22204819.jpg

2012-10-22204957.jpg

Nice your tank has a lid?

lol, yup. i made it myself, well i made a template and had the glass cut at a shop, then took 2 small pieces of plastic eggcrate light difuser and siliconed them un the underside so that they butt up against both sides on the inside of the rim so it is not possible to accidently bump the tank or lid and have it fly off :) i think the it cost me maybe $7-$10 buck total to make the lid :)

• 2 months later...

Got a aqueon evolve 4 for Xmas.woot. the picotope with be swapping over to that tank :) pics to come soon

Havent done the tank swap yet but just ordered a new light fixture for it last night. Ordered the beams work 11" reef bright clamp on led :)

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Reef-Bright-p/56211.htm

9x1 watt leds. 6x10k and 3x460nm actinic. Gonna look nice, clean and sleek. No more diy led and diy pvc stand. Although very functional, kinda an eye sore. Updates, pics, and a new thread to come. :)

Finally did the swap after some issues. The first tank was highly faulty and the seem across the back filtration compartment leakes like crazy. Good thing i water tested the tank first. I exchanged it and now its all swapped. Running the stock light till my new fixture comes in :-)

20121230_201901.jpg

20121230_201913.jpg

20121230_201921.jpg

20121230_201935.jpg

See the continuation of my pico reef in my new thread here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317297-my-aqueon-evolve-4-reef-pic-heavy/?p=4132880

Archived