Coral Vue Hydros

Goodbye cruel world! I'll miss my tank!

Coastie

Breaking down the tank shortly, PM me if you're in the Louisville area and are interested in anything.

So I decided that, while an amazing tank, the 22 just wasn't cutting it. I bought a 45 reef ready cube but untlimately decided that it just wasnt what I wanted. The dimensions were cool but just don't work for me. I found myself bitten by the new tank bug and gravitating toward the 40 breeder which I loved dearly, so I ended up pulling the trigger. My buddy works in a furniture shop, and with his assistance I built a stand that could survive a nuclear war. And looks pretty damn amazing I think.

Anyhow, on to the specs.
Tank: Marineland 40 Breeder
Stand: DIY
Sump: Marineland 15g
Light: ReefBreeders value fixture
Overflow/Return: Glass-Holes 700 gph
Return Pump: Rio 1400
Heater: Finnex 300W titanium heater
Circulation: some POS pump until cycle over
Sand: Reefcleaners 40lbs (want more)
Skimmer: maybe a SCA from ebay?

Livestock to follow post cycle.

Current FTS:20131214_164110_zps6cxy4sir.jpg20140115_201314_zpseq1si6kx.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah my buddy helped with the stand and his shop has some seriously awesome equipment. I love it!

And I guess you could say "welcome back to the club" as this is my second encounter with a 40B. I love these freaking tanks.

That cube sucks.

how do you like the reefcleaners sand? I was considering it, but went with reefflakes in stead.. I was worried the reefcleaners sand would be too fine..

how do you like the reefcleaners sand? I was considering it, but went with reefflakes in stead.. I was worried the reefcleaners sand would be too fine..

Its pretty awesome sand, even has little shells and stuff in it. Unfortunately its pretty "live" sand and it got lost in shipping. I got it about a week later than I should have but used it anyway and it caused a nice little cycle to start. Can't say one way or another if I recommend placing this in an established tank. But it is definitely great sand.

Its pretty awesome sand, even has little shells and stuff in it. Unfortunately its pretty "live" sand and it got lost in shipping. I got it about a week later than I should have but used it anyway and it caused a nice little cycle to start. Can't say one way or another if I recommend placing this in an established tank. But it is definitely great sand.

I believe it's rinsed and cleaned, then filled with a bottled bacteria product much like other "live" sands.. so there shouldn't be a lot of die off if any really.. at least that's how I understand it..

I believe it's rinsed and cleaned, then filled with a bottled bacteria product much like other "live" sands.. so there shouldn't be a lot of die off if any really.. at least that's how I understand it..

Well the rock was dry rock from them as well so not sure where the ammonia came from.

So my dumb arse wasn't thinking and killed off most of that gorgeous corraline on the new live rock. Didnt think about the light bleaching it all away.

In other news, might have some inhabitants trade tanks today!

That much white huh? I ramp up (controllable), currently peaking at about 50% blue and 40% white.. Probably need to turn it up a bit more, I was running at 100% both channels on my last fixture..

Archived