Pod Your Reef

1st ReefOne Aquarium, 1st DIY Acrylic Tank

NewbieReefer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments!

Newbie:

Table Saw and a router. Yes everything is glued and ready to go. I ordered the black acrylic for the back last night and i'm gonna go over the openings with a roundover bit tonight.

ProFlatlander:

It's a 40 gallon

finished routing the access openings and the entire tank with a 1/8" roundover bit and all I can say is Wow, what a difference. I'm debating whether or not I should micro-mesh and polish being that this is going to be my tank. I dont know, we'll see. The black acrylic should be in monday hopefully. Here are some pics.

40gallonx32tz.jpg

40gallonx1pu.jpg

I'll post as I progress.

Ram

thanks again. You could make a tank like mine with practice and the right tools. I would have never thought I would be building aquariums and working with acrylic. A year and a half ago I didnt even know how to work, glue, or even fabricate acrylic. Now look at me, starting my own business now. Anything is possible.

mushroom head

Yeah,but i dont even have enough cash to buy the tools. And i dont know any one with the tools. And i dont even have a job so its kinda hard to make cash. But if i had the right tools i would practice but i just dont :(

Thanks. At first I was going to go with blue, but all I could find locally was black without having to order it, so I went with black. Unfortunately though I ended up having to order some more black because I ran out.

nice work. tank looks very professional, cant wait to see the end result! I used to have a 40 gallon acrylic breeder i got from my lfs and paid $150. Just out of curiousity how much did the materials cost you?

167 for just the acrylic. That was for just enough for the F/B, and the two sides. I ordered another piece so I could make the full top. The black acrylic for the overflows I already had. I also used Acrylite GP. I'll only use Spartech Polycast and Acrylite GP. Everything else is the cheap stuff. Alot of places would have used 1/4" cast and then just cross braced, but I just can't see myself using 1/4" for anything more than 20 gallons. So all and all about 220 including the solvent and router bit that I needed. What i didnt know what that I paid for the price of a full sheet at the time and didnt even know about it. I had some scraps left i could've used for other things. But I know now.

oh yea! No leaks whatsoever! I only had a small bubble on the top upper corner which I fixed. Plus I go back on all the stuff i make and go over the seams with weld-on 16 just to ensure everything is sealed.

Here is the new router ext. that I built. Just need to make the cutout with my router and mount it. Pretty cool huh? it cost about 10 bucks as opposed to the 70 a prebuilt one would've cost me. Let me know what you think.

routerext6dy.jpg

Here is the forty with the new back. Just waiting for the glue to dry so I can install the bulkheads for the drain, returns, and CL then it's off to constructing the cabinet and also a mini dual chamber Calcium Reactor and completion of my skimmer.

40wback1bf.jpg

kind of off topic, but how are you doing the plumbing for the drains and CL. Are they both going to be fed water by the 2 overflows?

Are you making another tank for your sump/fuge.

Looks great!

Thanks!

Since i'm selling off my 90 gallon I'm going to use the 35 gallon sump/fuge that was on that one on this tank. The 40 is going to have two 1" drains and then two 3/4" returns coming from one pump. Then i'll have my little giant 4mdxq pumping the closed loop consisting of around 5 or 6 1/2" returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the stand/Canopy Frame finally done. I opted for a taller stand because I hate having to bend down to look at tanks and such. I'm 6'0 and the tank is at perfect viewing for me. I most likely wont start the skinning and trimming work until this weekend because of school but we'll see.

p10100254iy.jpgp10100261jd.jpg

Archived