28 nano LED Journal updates!

dday80

Tank Started 13APR11

DSCF0229.jpg

FTS Taken 23JUN12

Current Equipment:

Tank: 28g Nano Cube LED

Lighting: 14k LED Day, Sunset/Sunrise, Moon

Pumps: 1 Stock Accela Powerhead (266gph each)

1 maxijet 1200

Heater: Eheim Jager 75w

Powerhead: Vortech MP10

Skimmer: HOB Warner Marine H1

Filtration:

Urbanek's Upgraded Media Basket (Pure Nano) set up with Floss, Chaeto

5lbs live rock, 20lbs dry, 20lbs aragonite

DIY HOB fuge light

Fish list:

Yellow watchman/Pistol Pair

Blue Flasher Wrasse

2 Onyx clowns (in QT)

Corals:

Frogspawn

Green Yuma hitchiker

Blue Zoa frag

Mean Green zoa frag

Radioactive dragon eye zoa Frag

Eagle eye zoa frag

Unkown zoa frags

unknown SPS

RBTA

CUC:

5 Nassarius

20 Ceriths

8 Blue leg hermits

Current Params:

16JUN2012

SG - 1.026

Temp - 80

PH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Phosphates - 0-0.5

Calcium - 420

KH - 7.7

MAG - 1240

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this scape I had a few goals. The main one being unique!

I wanted a lot of water flow. It was tough trying to achieve that, while still keeping surface area for corals.

I also want to keep SPS on the top. So I was going for height there.

I'm thinking an aussie elegance coral in the sand on the bottom front left. In the middle of the bay area. This will be the main attraction.

Lastly, I plan on keeping a goby/pistol pair. During the process I tried to keep them in mind, but would have lost water flow if I kept rocks on the bottom. I may put in pvc pipes under the sand to achieve their needs.

Nice scape. You aren't going to use any LR for seeding? What about live sand?

Hey thanks! The tank is waterless at the moment. I'll definitely use LR and LS to seed. I have some space in the back to put some LR and will also use LS. I'm currently waiting on a plumbing piece to get my RO/DI up and running. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Well I have some LS and LR to get the cycle going.

Day 2

I tested for the following with API tests:

Ammonia - 0.50

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

P4200562.jpg

P4200564.jpg

P4200565.jpg

P4200568.jpg

Hey Everyone!!!

Its time to start talking what fish I'm going to stock!!! As far as they go, I'm wondering if this wrasse is too big for the tank? I'd really like one:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...amp;ddid=118903

I'd like to have a pair of gobies with 1 shrimp.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...amp;ddid=118942

I'm not sure what my last fish is going to be. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Week 3. I've got some algae! I think its green hair algae. Not sure though. I'm gonna test params here in a bit. Am I ready for a CUC?

P5060563.jpg

P5060562.jpg

P5060567.jpg

P5060565.jpg

Pod's all over the place

P5060566.jpg

Hey everyone. Week 3. I've got some algae! I think its green hair algae. Not sure though. I'm gonna test params here in a bit. Am I ready for a CUC?

P5060563.jpg

P5060562.jpg

P5060567.jpg

P5060565.jpg

Pod's all over the place

P5060566.jpg

Im kinda new so i dont know a whole lot, but looking at pictures, it almost looks like bryopsis. ??

I don't think it is bryopsis. I know caulerpa is a bryopsis and it has runners. It's not the type of algae that just grows on glass.

Also, getting a pistol shrimp was a huge mistake. Now I see the pistol and goby about once a month if I am sneaky.

As for the rockwork. I'm trully digging it. Having an aquascape where fish can easily hide behind the rocks and swim around them will make them much happier.

I don't think it is bryopsis. I know caulerpa is a bryopsis and it has runners. It's not the type of algae that just grows on glass.

Also, getting a pistol shrimp was a huge mistake. Now I see the pistol and goby about once a month if I am sneaky.

As for the rockwork. I'm trully digging it. Having an aquascape where fish can easily hide behind the rocks and swim around them will make them much happier.

Shew. I was worried about bryopsis for a sec. Catching it now would be better than fighting it forever if it was. My last pistol goby pair were out all the time. I had a yellow watchman and a tiger. They were decent size though. Maybe that helped? Thanks for the props on the rocks. I'm pretty stoked to start filling it in!

Bonus Joe

It's not bryopsis. It looks very similar to what I had in my tank, long strands with fine/feathery whisps coming off the stalks. If so, you have cladophora. It started getting pretty bad in my tank because my CUC snails and hermits would barely touch it, but I got one emerald and he just annihilated it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

CUC is in!

1 Emerald crab

1 Turbo snail

5 Nassarius

20 Ceriths

8 Blue leg hermits

We'll see how they do!

Pics tomorrow

Update!

5 weeks in with CUC added 2 days ago. Skimmer is on. Chaeto in back middle chamber. I also added a sealab no. 28 tab to see what it does with my CA. I'll check PH later to see what its doing during the day.

Params are:

SG - 1.026

Temp - 80

PH - 7.6

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 360

KH - 7

Phosphates - 0.5

IMG_2155.jpg

Before Turbo.

P5060565.jpg

After Turbo. He's doin work! I also noticed that it may be dying off on its own.

IMG_2153.jpg

It's good to see the tank back up and running. That's a pretty cool scape you have going. Only recommendation I would have is getting your CA up above 400. Best of luck on the rebuild.

It's good to see the tank back up and running. That's a pretty cool scape you have going. Only recommendation I would have is getting your CA up above 400. Best of luck on the rebuild.

Thanks Brad,

Ya there are a few parameters I'm not excited about. I'm still having trace amounts of ammonia along with some phosphates. Its only been 5 weeks running though. It should settle out here in a few weeks or so. I just need to keep testing and be patient. The hardest part about a startup!

Thanks XIII. The bridge wasn't planned. It just kinda came together as I was scaping. I'm thinkin zoas all across it would be cool.

I think my cycle is over and will be putting in first corals/fish this weekend hopefully.

Parameters are:

PH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 380

Phosphates - 0-0.5

KH - 7

Have you done any water changes yet?

RO??

get that CA up

Scape looks awesome man multi colored zoa bridge would be sick

Have you done any water changes yet?

RO??

get that CA up

Scape looks awesome man multi colored zoa bridge would be sick

I'm going to do a 5gal water change this weekend. When I added the skimmer it was about 2-3 gallons extra of fresh SW. Kind of a water change.

I have RO/DI set up with an ATO.

CA was 380 last night. I tried one tablet of the sealab no 28 a few days ago. I'm going to put two in tomorrow and see what it does over the weekend.

Thanks. I can't wait to get the zoa bridge goin. I think I might get a monti this weekend. Still haven't really figured the best placement though yet.

Well no fish yet. I'm having a hard time finding them locally and I don't know if I want to spend the money online. I've been creeping on liveaquaria every day and it seems they have only had 30gal+ fish up in DD. Patience I suppose...

Params are the same with the exception of Calcium - 440! with the help of sealab no 28 tabs.

I'm starting to see a diatom bloom. Having so little live rock to start a system has prolonged my cycle, but I think it has been well worth the wait. Its not foolproof, but when I spot a problem I can nip it in the bud. I have gotten rid of two aiptasia so far.

I went to a local club meeting and picked up some Tubbs blues. They were dipped in Coral RX and appear to be doing great!

Archived