SaltCritters.com

Pomakantha Arena

n0rk

Here we go again... this time it's a little bit nicer than last... <_<

GEAR

Essentially, the primary focus of this tank is Angelfish (specifically paired interactions), with some focus on harem interaction of deepwater Anthias. Of course I love corals and that's why this tank will be heavily stocked with Acroporids, but the fish are the stars of this show. That's why I've selected the following:

STOCKING

• Mated pair Red Sea/Indonesian Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus)
  • Mated pair Multibar Dwarf Angelfish (Paracentropyge multifasciata)
  • Mated pair Golden Angelfish (Centropyge aurantia)
  • Mated pair Fathead Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
  • Trio Longfin Anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis ventralis)
  • Trio Randall's Anthias (Pseudanthias randalli)
  • Harem Tiger Anthias (Pseudanthias lori) (5)
  • Harem Queen Anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) (7)

Of course, there's a lot more interesting info on my blog about the tank itself. The reasons I've chosen this path are various, the biggest of which is that I'm actually allowed to...

Let's get this one rolling eh? :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishez4alivin

Sweet...The Emperors are great fish just don't put any green rimmed chalices in the tank, and he will be fine.

I used to run a Procolor, but it was too red for me, couldn't believe how that one bulb overpowered the others.

Pygoplites diacanthus incredible choice....

First! Following this tank!

Good stuff, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Sweet...The Emperors are great fish just don't put any green rimmed chalices in the tank, and he will be fine.

I used to run a Procolor, but it was too red for me, couldn't believe how that one bulb overpowered the others.

Pygoplites diacanthus incredible choice....

This tank will be full SPS. I've got my LPS/softies/Zoos in my pico so I can focus this tank exactly for the care of what I'm keeping :) after having a long chat to Anthony Calfo when he was over, I'm a big fan of the biotope style tank where corals are concerned. I've chosen the fish I have specifically for their ability to be kept with Acroporids traditionally which allows me to focus on both sides of propagation (corals and eventually hopefully fish). Regals I'm not sure if I'll go Pacific or Red Sea, either option I have found a source which has them eating extremely well and really fat for good prices.

Still unsure what I'll do for the Powermodule arrangement. So far I've got 4 ABS, 4 BP, 1 PC and 1 PP in it, I am thinking I may drop a ABS out and throw another PP in. The colour just didn't seem quite "there" yet if that makes sense? So far I like the slight pink tint of the PC though...

Need to get some AquaScience tubes...

fishez4alivin

bulb arrangement is critical, so swap them around...I used Aquascience 22k and 15K bulbs, and the 15 K is dead on a ATI Aquablue Special, and the 22K is a little bluer than the ATI Blue+. You will buy at least 15 bulbs before you find the combo you like...lol

I agree with the biotope style tanks, that is why I got rid of 1/2 my fish, and am slowly getting rid of my LPS. It wasn't natural with the fish and the way the corals were placed.

bulb arrangement is critical, so swap them around...I used Aquascience 22k and 15K bulbs, and the 15 K is dead on a ATI Aquablue Special, and the 22K is a little bluer than the ATI Blue+. You will buy at least 15 bulbs before you find the combo you like...lol

I agree with the biotope style tanks, that is why I got rid of 1/2 my fish, and am slowly getting rid of my LPS. It wasn't natural with the fish and the way the corals were placed.

Yeah, definitely is. I've got mine spaced in a roughly striped pattern which blends fairly well. I did one better than 15 tubes... I got 25 of them ;) only ATI though. I miss my old AquaScience tubes from back in my 24W days, same with KZ ones (<3 Gen2). This PurplePlus is looking promising, like a Fiji Purple but better.

Biotopes... I love 'em. I used to keep freshwater so it's basically the way I think about tanks now - mixed reefs are not something that comes to me easily. Even the pico which is mixed is fairly close to a common point in terms of care which is why I've chosen what I have. Just seems to... work when you do it right.

Update to plan: did some messing in the renderer again, and added a 50mm Eurobrace 3/4 the way around to the plan. If I go ahead with this option, it too will be in Starphire. Why? Because I'm an anal retentive fool and I don't see the point in paying top dollar for optical purity if you're gonna ruin it with a rim that's bright green...

eurobraced.jpg

Y/N?

Speaking of, I've planned flow a little bit too.

2lsk6ye.jpg

Green is an MP40W running Reef Crest, Pink and Yellow are Tunze Stream 6105s, and Blue is a Tunze Stream 6125. As always there will be one high side and one low side to my aquascape, separated into two islands. Should flow roughly like that in the real world...

fishez4alivin

Or get a Mp60W ES and be done with it...Small footprint too, smaller than the MP40W and pushes 5500 gph :P I'd make a drybox in the overflow and drop that little bad boy in there, then take a MP40 and place it to counter the flow. Sorry to toss a new product in your thread, almost like cheese on a string...lol

Or get a Mp60W ES and be done with it...Small footprint too, smaller than the MP40W and pushes 5500 gph :P I'd make a drybox in the overflow and drop that little bad boy in there, then take a MP40 and place it to counter the flow. Sorry to toss a new product in your thread, almost like cheese on a string...lol

Nup. VorTech after-sales support here is appalling and the costs are astronomical. The 60Wes will come in around a grand and be noisy as hell. This tank is in my bedroom so I'm optimising noise as much as I can. Won't have the flow dynamics I want anyway :) I can get the TS24 and the 6125 for less than it'd cost for the 60Wes and have all of what I want out of pumps. Particularly seeings I flat-out refuse to get dryboxes on a tank ;)

I'm getting a lot of guff from the "VorTech Patrol" over here for the choice, it must be said. But, it's not something I've thought about for 5 seconds and then picked a choice out of a hat on - it's been something I've pondered over for a very long time. I'm aiming for multiple types of flow dynamics and specific directions for those... hence three different pump types. There is method to my madness :)

:naughtydance:

Carry on.

Cheers Richie :lol:

Niceness! Complete and utter niceness!! :happy:

Thanks man :) your updated tank is gonna be pretty awesome once it's all rolling too!

I said it before, i cannot wait to see this!!

Awwww, you always know what to say AM :flower::lol:

I've been doing some thinking... and the direction is a major departure from the original plan... I'll give you a hint...

colouredcl.jpg

clcoloured.png

;)

Y'know... that was actually on my Pomacanthus shortlist. The Poma(s) I end up on will be going in last so I've got plenty of time to think about it. I'd love a pair of them some time down the track, not sure how they'd go paired up though is my real concern.

I guess we'll see what happens :)

Heh, or totally ridiculous. I'm only considering a Poma because I should be setting up an 8x2.5x2.5 in about 12 months or so and it'd be a perfect home for it once it grows a bit. We'll see what happens. :)

That link is pretty sweet. Roughly the same idea as I had, introduce slowly to try and prohibit the possibility of it going wrong. I know some guys who've done it with some measurable success, with all different kinds of bigger Angels (Pomas and Holas mainly).

The plan has ultimately always been set up something 6'+, I've got the tanks waiting just no space to actually put them. When my brother vacates that's the first order of business. Set it up as a FOWLR and stock it with nice fish I couldn't otherwise keep in a full reef (plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to run a FOWLR). But, that's a plan for another day - for now this tank is my primary concern:)

I've wanted these suckers for a long time... had originally intended to go LEDs, but got offered the ATIs at a price that made me need to pile my jaw up off the floor. Luck I guess! :lol:

Normally the 10x39 is about $2700 before tubes here, so when I got told I could have it for about a grand I was kinda rapid to pick it up...

Archived