Pod Your Reef

BC's 40

B.C.

Ok so!!

I was going to originally go with a cube but then Petco had their $ a gallon sale and ended up with a 40 Br.

I always like the dimensions as well and after seeing everyone else's build here i couldn't resist..The force is strong. :D

Tank- Aqueon 36x18x16 bottom drilled for Herbie 1" bulkheads 3/4" drilled return- Done.

DIY tank stand-Done.

DIY Internal overflow-Done.

Extra wetdry i had, turned into a fuge/sump approx.15 gallons added to display = Done.

Sealife Systems Seastorm- the 250 model.

Return is a Mag drive 5.

Pentair aquatics rainbow lifeguard 25 watt UV sterilizer.

Lighting-FNI T5 ho 36"x4 bulb with ATI bulbs.

Thats all for now gotta get my beauty rest :P aah yes pics to come,of course.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know the Aqueon tanks had a non tempered bottom. I have the same brand 40B and got at petco lol. Can't wait for pics. And FYI I just go the 36" Nova Extreme Pro 6x39w for mine and it's amazing. I put it on my 20H running 2 bulbs (stock) and the colors are amazing :)

Do you have a livestock wishlist yet?

Glad to see another 40b from petco now i dont feel like a bandwagon jumper!!
Sometimes jumping on the bandwagon could be a good thing.. :)

Dasani,

Thats one reason why i went with this tank,being its not tempered.I prefer my drains on the bottom and not hanging off the back.

As for lighting im not sure yet what i want to do.Ill have to check out that fixture.

My livestock list is not a definite,I may do some switching around.We know how that goes. :D

My pair of maroon clowns

My brittle star

Pair of pajama cardinals

My pink sea urchin-Excellent algae eater,ive had him about 2.5 years now

and a variety of corals not exactly sure yet.

Thanks for stopping bye.

Nick's Reef

The nova extreme pro light is awesome. Have one over my 40brd and Acros love it. Only thing is be careful to acclimate stuff cause it's bright and will bleach almost anything if u put it up to high to soon. Don't use to stock bulbs though, they'll work but aren't the greatest. I have 4x ati blue+, 1x ge6500k, and one kz figi purple in mine. You can check my thread (first link in sig) to see what the color looks like with those bulbs.

I didn't know the Aqueon tanks had a non tempered bottom. I have the same brand 40B and got at petco lol.

Some are some are not.The 40 G Breeder happenes to not be tempered.

Just to clarify.

Looks good!

I just got the same tank a few weeks ago for a 40br. I'm also going all DIY. I'm doing an out-the-back herbie (1") with a 3/4 over-the-rim return.

I'm doing something a little different though in that I'm setting it up over a 30b to be used as a sump/grow out tank. It's in one of the current contests (check the link in my sig). I'm about as far as you are with the stand too.

Good luck!

Thanks Aj,

I just measured the acrylic sump im using and its 17 gallons.I thought it was bigger for some reason,i think it will work though.

I tripped and fell yeaterday while working around the house.It happened so fast i didnt have time to put my hands out.I ended up stopping my fall with my face on concrete edging.It wasnt good.

I planned on doing some more work on the build,but may take a couple of days off to recoupe.

Thanks for stopping bye,ill be sure to check out your build as well.

Later on..

Ouch man! That sucks hard... I've been having a tough time finding time to complete my stand as well... Last night I had to bargain that if I made dinner & fed the baby I would get 30 minutes of un-interrupted work in exchange!

We'll finish our projects........ eventually!

yeah i ended up putting my tooth thru the bottom of my lower lip :o .Its getting better now.

Anyway i ended up cutting and forming my overflow today.I need to figure out how to cut the teeth out for it and paint it, then sili it in place.

It took me a while to form it.The acrylic im using is .82 thick. I ended up heating it with my covering iron from my rc planes,took a while but it worked. :)

Heres some pics.

post-53952-1281571113_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1281571121_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1281571133_thumb.jpg

Good to see the progress.

Herbie is a great drain.

Make shure you use gate valves not ball valves.

People seem to forget.

As for you lighting..

Have you looked into the Current powerbrite strips.

I wonder if they are strong enough to add shimmer on top of t5.

I really want some shimmer also.

Thanks Shiver,

Im trying to get it done. :D It just seems that theres never enough time in a day.

Thanks for the reminder.I will be sure to use gate valves on the system.I have read its easier to adjust with them instead of ball valves.

As far as lighting,im not sure what im going to do yet exactly. :huh:

I really want my tank to shimmer as well,but dont want to go to MH.

Im gonna take a look at those.

Thanks

Why does everyone insist on gate valves vs. ball valves? To my understanding the only real benefit is that you can make smaller adjustments. While I believe that this is important, I really don't plan on doing it that often so I think I'll spend the little extra time working with the ball valves. Or does someone have some good cheap gate valve supplier that they're using? The gate valves I see online are fricken $30 each... Compared to like $7 for ball valves... I would rather use gate no doubt, but the cost is too much sadly.

AquaticDiscounts
I need to figure out how to cut the teeth out for it

mark the acrylic and then use a table saw. it worked good for me when I was putting teeth on my false wall. it looks real clean. not as perfect as a router but if you have a steady hand it will look good.

Aj,

From what i understand with the gate valve your able to dial it in easier with the fine adjustments,where with the ball valve it may need to be tweaked more often.

Like everything else, everyone has their own opinions and you know what they say about opinions.There like azz_oles everyone has one....... :lol:

If it make my life easier im at it. :D

I also didnt realize they are $30 a pop...ouch :o

Im gonna have to check the mom and pops hardware store.

AquaticD

I tried the table saw but i didnt like the results.I going to try the Dremel and a routing bit.

Thanks for the idea.

I plan on getting some more work done this weekend.

Hopefully finish the stand and overflow.

Why does everyone insist on gate valves vs. ball valves? To my understanding the only real benefit is that you can make smaller adjustments. While I believe that this is important, I really don't plan on doing it that often so I think I'll spend the little extra time working with the ball valves. Or does someone have some good cheap gate valve supplier that they're using? The gate valves I see online are fricken $30 each... Compared to like $7 for ball valves... I would rather use gate no doubt, but the cost is too much sadly.

Gatevalves are a bit quieter.

Easy to make fine adjustments (which is importaint in the herbie method)

I hate twisting ball valves. Gate valves are easier to work with.

A buddy of mine just upgraded to gate valves, Hes saying there wonderfull to work with.

Hes claiming the money was worth it.

I should clarify the gate valves are $30+ at bulk reef supply. They're the nice gray schedule 80 ones though.

I did some more research and I found some of the regular white schedule 40 ones for $12 though online.

Today i ended up cutting the teeth for the overflow.I tried with my dremel and router bit and didnt like the results.I decided to try it on the tablesaw again this time holding the overflow vertical and set the depth of the cuts with the blade height.

It came out ok.I should of taken my time with it but was in kind of a rush to get it done being i had to be somewhere.I have some touching up to do but it will be acceptable after im done painting it.

I do have a question.How long/deep should the cuts be for the teeth???

The overflow box is 3 sided the top sits 1/8" below the lower rim 4.5 x 7 x 4.5 and the cuts are the width of the sawblade and 9/16 deep,if that helps.

Hopefully someone experienced came chime in here.

T.I.A.

Archived