SaltCritters.com

Couevas' 20G Tall Mixed Reef

couevas

FTS as of October 22, 2011

fw0zrd.jpg

(30% Royal Blue, 15% Cool White)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I am back in the game.....I have a 2 year old daughter and her absolute favorite movie is Finding Nemo (She watches it every single day....sometimes twice a day). Excellent!! Now I have an excuse to get back into reefing. I am just providing for my daughter....right?

A little history:

I have been reefing since about 2002 (man, I was dumb back then) and got out in 2007 with a move from San Diego to Las Vegas. My tank progression went like this:

1. 90 gal custom shallow acrylic (hand-me-down; joint venture with college roomate - we had no idea what we were doing)

2. 72 gal Oceanic Bowfront - 40 gal sump (joint venture with college roomate - we had no idea what we were doing)

3. 24 gal JBJ Nanocube (on my own after graduation)

4. 72 gal Oceanic Bowfront - (bought equipment from former roomate)

Today. 20 gal Tall AGA

----------------------------------------

Unlike all my other aquatic adventures (read that I needed something, figured out a way to integrate or fab my own equivalent), I am starting this guy off fairly well from the beginning. So far, I have the tank running with the following equipment and additions....

Eshopps PSK-75H Hang-on skimmer

AC70 filter modded into small refugium

Marineland Stealth Pro 100W heater

Hydor Koralia 1 powerhead

Aquaticlife 24 inch 4x24W T5HO + Lunar Led fixture

20 lbs Caribsea Live Oolite sand

22 lbs Tongan Live Rock (PRIME 2 month cured from A Red Sea Aquarium in Seattle!)

Sand has been in water for about a week now with all equipment running except lights. Rock and light added last night. I am not expecting a long cycle at all....then the stocking can begin!

I will post some pics tonight when I get home from work......

-Chris

BTW, some of you older members may have seen me on here years ago....but I doubt you remember me.

I was Quavecube (and Quavecube2) back then.....

-Chris

post-50074-1265430709_thumb.jpg

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey welcome back Chris.

Sounds awesome. I love the kid excuse too. I have involved my sons in helping me with my 20 high and they love it. They want a nemo fish too.

I'm on day 5 and they keep asking me when they get to get a fish. If anyone around here thinks we all have very little patience try talking to a 4 year old.

Can't wait to see some pics of your setup.

...impatience from the kids, I hear ya.

At least with my daughter I can say they are sleeping when she asks, "Where's Nemo?"

------------

Next mod, figuring out how to adapt the intake on the Eshopps skimmer to pull from the surface.......

Here are the first round of pics after the equipment, LS and LR added....

All 3 lights on (10,000k, 440-460nm and LED)

post-50074-1265429118_thumb.jpg

10,000k's only

post-50074-1265429136_thumb.jpg

420-460nm's only

post-50074-1265429145_thumb.jpg

Lunar Led's only

post-50074-1265429158_thumb.jpg

Digital timer

post-50074-1265429172_thumb.jpg

Fuge with PAR20 Halogen Spot and Eshopps Skimmer

post-50074-1265429181_thumb.jpg

post-50074-1265429191_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bill!

I am trying to set this one up right from the beginning......other than my other reefs. :P (figuring out what was needed after the fact)

I made an attempt at surface-skimmer modding my eshopps PSK75-H. It was last night before school (yeah, I work 50-60 hours a week at my job and then another 40 or so in grad school).....it is functional but ugly as sin.

I cut off the slitted cone intake and built a "U" out of elbows to bring it back up to the surface. I will post a pic tonight, but it ain't pretty....

Tonight I am going to start on a lexan overflow box that will just sit over the back lip of the tank and the intake will sit inside the box. Should be simple and effective and a heck of a lot better looking.

----------------------------------------

I also added the first complex lifeforms to the community....a mated (seems that way at least) pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Not too special, but one is a misbar. Sure made my daughter happy......

Will post pics of them tonight too.

Here is my ugly a$$ surface skimmer mod........

post-50074-1265772940_thumb.jpg

I am not in any way happy with it, other than the fact that it is functional. I have already started work on an acrylic overflow box that the intake will sit in. I will post some pics of that in a couple days after the silicone fully cures and I can put it in the tank.

And the new guys......

A pair of Ocellaris Clowns....one standard and one misbar. Pardon the pictures.....I have had my Rebel XT for 4 years and am still only using about 10% of its capacity.

post-50074-1265774301_thumb.jpg

post-50074-1265774376_thumb.jpg

post-50074-1265774390_thumb.jpg

Here are some hitchhikers as well.....pretty tough to see but they look like some sort of star polyp or possibly xenia. Neither of which I would buy, but I will not eradicate them right now.

post-50074-1265774609_thumb.jpg

post-50074-1265774621_thumb.jpg

post-50074-1265774635_thumb.jpg

Yeah.....I agree.

However, I was a little cautious about going from zero bio-load to two garbage truck clowns overnight. In a day or two I will see how the system has adapted and take a look at some simple softies and a cuc.

.....slow goes this one.

Yeah.....I agree.

However, I was a little cautious about going from zero bio-load to two garbage truck clowns overnight. In a day or two I will see how the system has adapted and take a look at some simple softies and a cuc.

.....slow goes this one.

Good plan. I would wait a week and then add some softies.

Got a CUC last night and a Cleaner Shrimp

CUC so far...

10 Nerite Snails (very small - about 1/2 inch)

10 Blue Leg Hermits (even smaller)

I will try to get pics up tonight...

Just ordered an RO/DI.....

SpectraPure ProPlus

Lurking for a while....seems like AZDesertRat is the guy when it comes to RO/DI and this was the unit he always recommends. Seems pretty nice and a great deal. 149 with an inline pressure gauge, and dual-probe TDS meter. Nice built-in functionality for help in maintenance cycles and QC. 90 gpd is plenty fast enough for me...

The unit I had years ago had no gauges, put out 50 gpd and cost 50 bucks more!

Thanks AZ!

Archived