Coral Vue Hydros

Step by step LED light help

Chiefmcfuz

Hey I was reading through and looking at the LED threads and I am very interested in building one or at least expolring the possibility of building one. I am not a good DIY person but I am willing to try. I have an open top 24 pod and plan on upgrading to a 34 solana in the near future. I know that whatever I need it has to be retrofitted into a gutted light fixture.

Does anyone have parts lists (links) and step by step instructions for the lay person available? I tried reading some of the threads and the technical talk just about killed me LOL

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is a totally different language to me too. I keep telling people to talk in layman's terms lately for alot of things. I think it's because I am getting old LOL

Retrofitting into existing fixtures is a little tricky due to the heatsink size and other electronics. Most of the builds done so far are for smaller aquariums. Are you planning the fixture for your solana, or the aquarium you have? And what are the dimensions of the tank?

Well it will start off being on my 24g Aquapod open top and then eventually migrate over to my solana after I mod it and set it up and transfer my 24 pod over to it.

I know id shouldn't be too hard but not being so electrically talented I need someone to tell me "Buy this, solder this to that.........." etc LOL

Well, what I would do is take a read through some of the recent LED threads to get an idea as to how things are put together. There are quite a few active threads right now, so you have quite a bit of reading material to keep you occupied.

I have been reading and things are very difficult to understand because they're in technical terms and not layman's terms but I am trying. I am also interested in the sunbrite thread. That may be a simple upgrade option.

I have been reading and things are very difficult to understand because they're in technical terms and not layman's terms but I am trying. I am also interested in the sunbrite thread. That may be a simple upgrade option.

I kind of feel the same way after reading those threads. I wish there is a :

To build a MH 150w 14k equivalent, you will need these parts...

Or some chart with similar data.I am just not sure of how many of which LED I would need along with how many buckpucks...

Only problem is that it isn't that simple. There is no way to make an LED fixture equivalent (apples to apples) to a 150w MH, there are ways to get the output to be the same, but the 150w MH makes all that output from a light source that is about the size of a marble, whereas the LED would do it spread out over the top of the tank. The photmetrics are totally different as is the way they direct the light output. What size tank are you doing Timinator?

All right guys, I'll get something written up. Look for a new thread in the next day or two. I'm busy today, or I would do it now. I'll try and plead with the mods to get it stickied.

Hey Evil, I'm not trying to say you havnt done enough work for all of us!!! And you have and there is plenty to read. So thank you!!!! I am a electronic brain dead(Never took a class or time to under stand that stuff)

All I want to do is reproduce the Elos LED for my 18" cube and maybe make it a bit more powerful so I can still have clams at the bottom of my tank. I have already started the process of designing my light setup, and prob is only a few weeks from ordering the electronics. I am also very interested in your controller project as well, so please do not let us distract you from that.

It's no trouble. It's something that I have been threatening to do for a while now. This is just another push for me to get it done :)

It's no trouble. It's something that I have been threatening to do for a while now. This is just another push for me to get it done :)

Looking forward to the information you put together as well. There is a lot of great info out there although way beyond my DIY capabilities. I'd really like to find a new lighting system for my tank. Any info you provide is greatly appreciated.

Only problem is that it isn't that simple. There is no way to make an LED fixture equivalent (apples to apples) to a 150w MH, there are ways to get the output to be the same, but the 150w MH makes all that output from a light source that is about the size of a marble, whereas the LED would do it spread out over the top of the tank. The photmetrics are totally different as is the way they direct the light output. What size tank are you doing Timinator?

Hey Slumph.

I guess I 'm more or less interested in similar par and color temps as a 14k Phoenix. I am running a 18" cube that I started a thread for(It's in my sig now)

:)

I was thinking of throwing together a step by step and sending it to evil for his approval...better it comes from the man himself though :)

look like you already sporting the badge of approval! One day I will get my LED banner too.

fingerscrossed

Looking forward to the information you put together as well. There is a lot of great info out there although way beyond my DIY capabilities. I'd really like to find a new lighting system for my tank. Any info you provide is greatly appreciated.

I cant wait either, thats what I love about this hobby, it takes my mind off the crazy things going on in our country.

It's almost finished, but it's going to be like a book! You better be comfortable when you start into it :)

Seriously though, it's got all the info you could possibly want about getting one set up.

It's almost finished, but it's going to be like a book! You better be comfortable when you start into it :)

Seriously though, it's got all the info you could possibly want about getting one set up.

Does it have meanings to all the terms that you use? You are the man for doing this :bowdown:

Are you kidding? Think of this like an "Idiots Guide to LED Aquarium Lighting".

LOL! good cause I am an idiot when it comes to that stuff. I like making stuff for this hobby, but when it comes to lighting, yikes!

Archived