Coral Vue Hydros

MarineKeepers 12g nano adventure w/ pics!

marinekeeper

marinekeeper

Ok, I am finally putting up a tank thread for you folks to enjoy,critique or what ever makes you happy. The tank has been up for 5mos., but I have pics from the cycling of the tank to current. It is a nano 12g dx with no mods except a maxi-jet 900 and a loc-line y splitter on the return. Specs are below

1st chamber chemi-pure elite between 2 sponges

2nd chamber digital temp probe and purigen

3rd chamber jebo 50w heater and maxi-jet 900

16 lbs live rock

10lbs estes reef sand

3 turbo's 1 astrea and 2 zebra

1 emerald crab

1 cerith snail

2 nassarius snails

5 assorted hermits

1 false percula clown

1 torch coral

1 hammer head coral

1 trumpet coral

1 blasto welsi

1 acan lord frag

a few assorted shrooms

a few zoanthids

a few palys

blue clove polys

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

calcium 420

ph 8.3

dkh unknown (I know, I know)

weekly water changes (wal-mart distilled w/ deep ocean salt) and dose nano reef part A and part B every other day (or so)

feed corals Kent's phytoplex twice a week as well as some mysis here and there (no real schedule on this feeding, but def not too much)

Anyways, this is not my first salt tank, but is my first reef tank. I have had a blast up to this point and like many others, have found my self quite addicted. Pics are below from ground up.

Thanks to all the posters for the good info and those who have helped me in anyway along the journey.

JC, OHIO

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01108.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
marinekeeper

I recently moved some things around in the tank. My torch coral needed to find a new home as the sweeper tentacles were getting out of control. I also just fragged the large blue shroom you see in the pics. New pics will be up soon.

marinekeeper

New pics as of 20080813. I added some GSP and moved a few corals around as stated.

Fraged a few shrooms and did a lil clean-up.

I also threw in a picture of our Jack named Leapin' Levi.

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

marinekeeper

Thank you. Yeah, thats Levi. He was flown in from a breeder in Oklahoma. He just turned 10 weeks and is a ball of energy!

Thank you. Yeah, thats Levi. He was flown in from a breeder in Oklahoma. He just turned 10 weeks and is a ball of energy!

I bet, we have a ton of dogs ranging from all ages. The younger ones are definitely the most playful!

I bet, we have a ton of dogs ranging from all ages. The younger ones are definitely the most playful!

Beautiful tank! I also have the 12G DX, what was your purpose in replacing the pump? Is the stock pump not strong enough?

marinekeeper

Yeah, I pretty much love the black estes sand and at $4.00 for a 5lb bag, you cannot go wrong. My next reef tank will have the same stuff, only im thinking orange and/or blue sand. Both would be kick a$$.

masterbuilder

If you havent do so already...turn your fans so they both blow inward. That will help with the heat issues you said you had. Normally good for at least a degree drop.

marinekeeper

Ahh, thanks masterbuilder. I have not done that nor thought about it. The only thing I thought of was getting new fans that push higher cfm's. I think I will give your suggestion a try.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
marinekeeper

Just added a peppermint shrimp tonight and have my jaw fish on order. That will complete the fish/inverts that go into this tank, everything else is all coral!

marinekeeper

Eventually, I will have to frag it and trade part of it in on credit, move it to my 35 or trade to a nano-reef member.

marinekeeper

Going to be moving the tank soon. Distance is probably 50 miles. Any suggestions on moving this tank?

I have a decent idea, but would like to here from people who had this experience and know the trial and tribulations.

I moved a tank from san francisco to los angeles a couple years ago. I went to home depot and got some 5 gal buckets. Put the live rock in, filled with water to about 3/4 full and then put the fish in. I did this about 2 days before the move, I had the heater and a powerhead in there for those two days. Then just empty the rest of the water into another bucket, I'd say leave the sand in the tank, but you may want to put it into the second bucket, that way you don't release all of the crap that is in the sand in the same container as the fish, I learned that the hard way. You are only going 50 miles so this might be more than you need. If it is that close, just bag the fish, put the rock in a bucket with water and leave the sand with minimal water.

Hi marinekeeper, is possible as your tank is small. But at the same time is risky. Just incase any rocks in the tank knocks against the glass panel. Imo, is ok to leave the sand alone. And remember not to stir the sand as it will create a spike in NO3.

Just sharing abit with you of how I move my tank from my living room to my room.

I prepare the big container with half new saltwater and half with the water from my tank afew days before I put in my corals and fishes. I was tiring and back breaking as my tank is more than 3 times the size of your tank. :happy:

And here's a link to share with you abit of pics of my tank shifting. :happy:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...42638&st=60

marinekeeper

Thank you for the advice. Any rock I leave in there will be ground level rock. I will just remove all the water up to that point. I am hoping that should work.

Archived