Innovative Marine Aquariums

** StevieT's Tunze Cup Upgrade **

StevieT

Trying to fit a round cup in a square hole?

Tanks So Far that Cup will Fit on:

Red Sea Max Model: TNZV1

Current USA Solana Model: TNZSL1

Nano Cube JBJ and other Tanks: TNZJBJ - for the tight fit applications, matches the depth of the Tunze

Aquapod models !!!!!!

Doing custom work for your tank, any size

Well it's about time I get some information up about this build. This cup is designed to work with the Tunze 9002. There are many tanks this may work on including the Red Sea Max and the Current USA Solana. I will keep a list of all tanks it will work on.

The issue in the RSM is that the Tunze cup is round in shape, not allowing you to put the skimmer in the proper location in the filtration area, and or you can not close the hood when doing maintenance without removing the cup. For me it was the hood clearance issue, and I was getting pretty aggravated having to remove the cup every time I did a water change or had to get my mitts in the tank.

The most important part of this build was getting a foam director, I ended up going with two pieces welded together, these are the most expensive items in the build, making up most of the cost of the cup, but it is what makes it work.

Cabochon:

IMG_4516.jpg

Dome:

IMG_4517.jpg

Weld Together and repeat 50 times:

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

Cut bottom piece and Drill hole for tube:

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

Attach Walls:

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

Jam in Tube:

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

Attach Director Pieces to Lid:

IMG_4545.jpg

You can see that the hood will close and open with no issues:

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are a very busy guy! I guess I will keep my fingers crossed on my Tunze cup not being a problem. PM me because I have an idea for your next RSM mod.

Wow thats awesome really professional

Different subject but

Have you ever considered making your media rack for other AIO's

Wow thats awesome really professional

Different subject but

Have you ever considered making your media rack for other AIO's

YES! I really want to get to that stage. I have a few measurments down for other tanks, and people ask me all the time but never respond with sound measurments. I have been so busy making the racks for the RSM that I haven't had to get to the other tanks yet. but I made a boat load this past weekend so that is my next step very soon. All I need is a few good dimentions, height in inches, width and depth in mm (hopefully) and we should be good to go!

My RSM is being tested this week on a CAD as it has a very similar chamber.

Important step to all of the cups, The Water Test !

IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

No Leaks!!! Ready to sticker and go!

IMG_4514-1.jpg

USS Phullbrick, a RSM Class Tank, upgraded tonight with a new Plasma InTank Media Reactor from StevieT Technology Laboratories !

"To reef where noone has dared before" :D

ps : one night and already some tea in the upgraded cup, wonderful !

post-37131-1214264723_thumb.jpg post-37131-1214264730_thumb.jpg

Those pictures on your blog are awesome, thanks for sharing! Good to hear about the cup working already, it was really excited when I nailed down the design. It is so crazy to think that those are my products, something I made, and now they are in France in just a few days! I really love delivery companies!

Olivier, are you a trekkie? :D

Those pictures on your blog are awesome, thanks for sharing!

thanks, you're welcome :)

I really love delivery companies!

So do I, working for the Memphis one for 18 years now, it's pleasant to think we help people to get closer wherever they are :)

Olivier, are you a trekkie?

I am afraid yes, so is my lovely wife ;) Hey there's nothing weird about eating snails & garlic dressed as a Star Fleet Officer ! :D Voyager Season 5 is currently broadcasting in France on the satellite :wub:

About the cup, I just found the right air flow adjustment, it took me some time today but now it's all good !

Hey Stevie, will your cup allow the Tunze to fit on the JBJ 28g HQI? It looks awesome!

Don't know yet, haven't tried. Do you know the dimentions of that chamber?

If the one I have here does not fit, I can make one that does.

you are inching close to sponsor status... be careful... see what it did to mvite.... all your stuff looks great

steviet - taking over your aftermarket, one mod at a time.

you are a driven man, sir. it shows in your work.

you are inching close to sponsor status... be careful... see what it did to mvite.... all your stuff looks great

haha, I may be, it has been thrown around in my head. Where has Mark been?! I would hope growing corals and acrylic are two different animals.

steviet - taking over your aftermarket, one mod at a time.

you are a driven man, sir. it shows in your work.

Thank you, sometimes you just see a problem and do something about it!

I've been wanting to switch to a Tunze skimmer on my Solana but I didn't want to move it from the first chamber - StevieT, you are amazing!

I like the cup so much that I've purchased the cup before I've even purchased the skimmer! Talk about putting the cart before the horse... ;)

no, around here, that is just called smart Reefing!

Thanks for the order, it will arrive shortly.

So my cup review! Had the cup in a few days and its working great with good skimmate. Love the fact I can finally lift open my hood anytime I want and not hearing that crunching sound when I forget to pull out the old skimmer cup. One thing worth mentioning is the cup is much heavier than the old one. I'm finding that only one magnet on the tunez will hold it but it does feel a little flismy. Thankfully the cup will rest against the old skimmer ledge and support some of the weight. I'm going to buy another magnet from tunze because i'm too paranoid I might break something if I try to pry the other one off. I also got a bunch of microbubbles now I'm hoping its just because the skimmer is just breaking in with the new water level etc...... The cup looks very slick in the back but next to my ATO float sensor its getting pretty cramped. My skimmer is almost practically silent now because the new cup fits so well :P . Can't wait to see what Stevie can come up with next.

• 2 weeks later...
RayWhisperer

Hey Stevie, one thing I've noticed. There doesn't seem to be a vent hole in the collection cup. Any reason for not having one?

Hey Stevie, one thing I've noticed. There doesn't seem to be a vent hole in the collection cup. Any reason for not having one?

It doesn't need one. My first prototype had the hole and then to experiment in cutting down production time I made one without the hole. I got the same collection. I believe since the lid is not airtight, it just rests on a routed edge that there is still enough ventalation for proper foam collection.

I am pretty happy I didn't have to drill that hole since it is a pain in acrylic. Good eye! B)

disaster999

a little off topic, are there and advantages from your design over the tunze original cup? im planning to get one for my setup and dont need the rectangle collection cup, but seeing that you came up with the "foam director" and wonder if the stock tunze cup isnt as good

It seems to direct more of the foam into the cup and collect it better and faster. But I haven't done any side by side comparisons, just by memory. The tunze cup has a similar design in principal to direct the foam away from the tube. The main benefit of this cup is for fit, yet it still performs similar or better than the stock cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived