inTank Media Baskets

** StevieT's Tunze Cup Upgrade **

StevieT

Well, inTank did some custom work recently for owners that needed a cup that would fit their application.

Made a cup to match the dimentions of the Tunze cup, only square in shape. Also made a cup 10mm shorter than the standard production cups for the solana and RSM.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

Tunze Dimentions:

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

Standard cup on the left, shorter cup on the right:

IMG_4873.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW MODEL!!!

TNZJBJ

It has found an application in the JBJ AIO. It matches the depth of the Tunze skimmer. Much skinner than my other cups, for the tight fit application when space is at a premium.

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Stevie, I must say that is some very professional-looking acrylic work. Very nice!

I think it's so cool that hobbyists are filling in where the industry has failed to provide products. I love this hobby more and more all the time.

You, sir, are a credit to the hobby! (And I wish I was as handy with acrylic, lol.)

Stevie, I must say that is some very professional-looking acrylic work. Very nice!

I think it's so cool that hobbyists are filling in where the industry has failed to provide products. I love this hobby more and more all the time.

You, sir, are a credit to the hobby! (And I wish I was as handy with acrylic, lol.)

Thank you bud!!! I appreciate that. I get better every time I do a production run, it didn't start off looking so nice B) , it is hard to make everything look clean, but with the correct tools it can be done with a little practice.

The main problem with the Tunze is the round cup, so after making media racks the idea hit me, recangle cup! Leave it to someone that spends as much time around their tank as a hobbyist to figure out the solution.

I have to thank those that have other tanks than mine for requesting different sized products, it has expanded my outreach and helped those that would otherwise have to settle for a less quality skimmer.

When attaching the skimmer to the media rack, does the skimmer basically just rest on top of the rack with the 'handle' simply holding it in place? Sorry for the noob question.

When attaching the skimmer to the media rack, does the skimmer basically just rest on top of the rack with the 'handle' simply holding it in place? Sorry for the noob question.

It will look like this. This picture is from a customer in France who was the first person to mount the skimmer to the rack, this was before I started providing the extra bracket

post-37131-1214298506_thumb.jpg

It will look like this. This picture is from a customer in France who was the first person to mount the skimmer to the rack, this was before I started providing the extra bracket

I saw that picture however it looks like the media rack has been altered to fit the skimmer. Is my media rack supposed to have a cut out for the skimmer. Again sorry to flood your thread with dumb ??'s.

I saw that picture however it looks like the media rack has been altered to fit the skimmer. Is my media rack supposed to have a cut out for the skimmer. Again sorry to flood your thread with dumb ??'s.

No, this media rack pictured is exaclty the same as all that are produced. There is no cut out needed to mount the skimmer. Just us the left wall to mount it to. The rack will only drop in with ease one way, with the inTank logo facing the electrical pannel.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Really professional, Ever thought about designing and selling your own AIO tank?

some day! probably down the road after I hire a few people to keep up with the demand on cups and racks :D

To get the good looking "tea" Should I tighten or loosen the skimmer from its default settings?

Proably loosen it but it is all user dependent. Play around with it. Too loose = very wet skimmate, filling the cup with water. Not loose enough = no skimmate in the cup. Perfect = sweet spot.

Try and loosen it until the bubbles are in the tube half way, then when skimmate is collected it will be forced upwards and spill over.

the acrylic doesnt need to be that thick...1/8" should be enough. i know it feels flimsily but once you glue it into a box then its solid.

would taking about the dome in the middle make the system collect too much water?

the acrylic doesnt need to be that thick...1/8" should be enough. i know it feels flimsily but once you glue it into a box then its solid.

would taking about the dome in the middle make the system collect too much water?

Yes, I understand that thinner plastics would work. But I already have the .220" on on hand becuase of the media racks I am building. Also, thicker acrylic is much easier to work with and cut.

I don't understand the question about the dome.

Maybe it's just me, but that first picture of the amount of skimmate from 1 week seems to be a little low. I get that skimmate in about 2 days from my Tunze with the original cup... have you done side-by-side comparisons with 2 Tunze skimmers in the same tank, different cups? For accuracy, they would have to be either new or squeaky clean.

Maybe it's just me, but that first picture of the amount of skimmate from 1 week seems to be a little low. I get that skimmate in about 2 days from my Tunze with the original cup... have you done side-by-side comparisons with 2 Tunze skimmers in the same tank, different cups? For accuracy, they would have to be either new or squeaky clean.

The amount of skimmate is all dependent on your skimmer setting and bioload on the tank. They can fluctuate during the week as well depending on feeding. So from tank to tank, skimmate collection is going to be different.

I haven't done a side by side because I shunned the old cup to the drawer to use for photos only, but it is about the same in collection. The new cup is much wider and hold about 20% more skimmate, so it may look more spread out in pics.

Why would I buy a second tunze to compare something? seems like a waste of $150, the cup works and collects just as the stock cup.

Hey Steve,

I finally got the skimmer up and running. My tank looks better already, with polyp extensions like ive never seen :)

I really appreciate your great service!!

~One happy customer!

Steven

wow, must be all that extra inTank I put into yours! It is a secret formula but it acts wonders ;)

Enjoy! Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Since your PM box is full i'll post this:

Its a BIG PITA to get the tunze into the 2nd chamber, you have to pry out pieces of the tank and mod the skimmer. So the only way to put it into the first chamber is to use your cup. (so needless to say I can't wait to get the new skimmer cup!)

Since your PM box is full i'll post this:

all good now!!! My premium membership ran out over the weekend, but we are all paid up again and rolling. Note to Chris, give an email warning longer than a day out of that memebership ending! B)

I don't understand the question about the dome.

the umbrella effect is what im trying to imply.

the dome would collect the water and it would drip back down in the water and not in the collection cup.

or is that a good thing?

The doam is more of a foam director. It forces it up, than the umbrella piece forces it outwards so that it drips down away from the tube. If that was not there, then it would drip back down in to the skimmer and not collect, and that would be bad.

Schedule Update for the first week of September:

I will be out of the country From September 3-9, spending many hours in the ocean in the Dominican Republic, if I don't get caught by customs with a vast amount of corals ;) , production will resume after that time. I will be running production up until September 2nd, catching up on backorders, new orders, and future orders.

I have always shipped out in the order of payment. I should be able to ship orders for another week or so, but anything after a point, all depending on demand, will be shipped after I return from vacation.

If you have any questions please send them my way, I will be out of data communication while on vacation and I am sure my girlfriend will send my blackberry into the ocean upon arrival just to make sure B)

Thank you to everyone for your past purchases, I look forward to getting caught up in the next week and a half. In the month of September I will be back to a stocking level since life will be slowing down. Please feed my fish and check the ATO on my tank while I am gone ;)

Another custom cup for a valued customer.

This cup is the same dimentions as the RSM model (TNZV1) but 1" shorter.

IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6107.jpg

Height compared to a Solana Cup (TNZSL1), but same height as the RSM cup

IMG_6108.jpg

How your items are packed

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

Archived