SaltCritters.com

Attn: SPECTRA! RTF QT is back!

righttirefire

righttirefire

My fantastic girlfriend was easy motivated to another tank... that makes 2 salt and 2 fresh. "Transitional" tanks are what they're called. I got a 10 gallon quarantine tank and the "dumb" cashier at petco called it nemo! It's not nemo, it a ossy clown. And will spend 30 days in qt. Here's it new digs... it's acclimating. To fresh/clean 1.020sg, and will slowly upped to 1.025.

20150619_172731_zpsvezgdhcz.jpg

righttirefire

20150619_194749_zpspoulkxte.jpg

Here the little devil is... welcome the little ossy... 30 day timeout it'll be a long acclimation from 1.020 to 1.025. And verify no disease

righttirefire

The skeptical girlfriend fell in love with this tiny guy. Being hosted by the return nozzle. It fit the requirements. A nice clown, good fins, symmetrical markings, no signs of issues, dark in coloration. It might end up being a darwin, black and white clown, but we'll see.

righttirefire

I garage saled a 10 gallon. With heater, hood and whisper filter. I put my old ac50 with a sponge I had in my sump. And the grass from my breeder basket. It's currently hosted by the back corner of my tank. I've never qt'd a fish so I don't know to be proactive and treat or reactive and treat as symptoms appear. But it's another tank! And gf decided she wants a potter wrasse... so 40 breeder is in my future

righttirefire

20150620_183638_zpsvsr1idri.jpg

Some new additions to qt. 2 silicone anemones, in the hopes he'll get the concept. And a rock cave to break up flow and encourage the little guy out of the back corner.

It worked

20150620_183701_zpsl72vdy5d.jpg

All being plastic-ish I feel I'll be about to sterilize these between qt's but this will be coming down. I won't be running a constant qt tank.

righttirefire

Jackal!... that's not funny. You're as bad as the girl at petco! It's a ossy clown. And my girlfriend loves him... plus I got another 10 gallon tank. Working the system. Now she wants a potter's wrasse and I want a 180 tank... so we're house shopping. Win-win-win

righttirefire

Braaap. Go ride your Honda dream on the California coastline. Lol. She's not into tangs. So lucky me.

I have some Marine Depot — Deknarp Biogenics Pisces Minimus,

2015-06-21-09-39-59--249456945_zps5xgi65

I'm hoping to get a baby sea turtle and great white shark. So I got the big jug in route

righttirefire

Did a 1 gallon water change/vacuuming up the bottom. Still bringing up the salinity. I'm debating proactive treatment for brook, but everything seems fine for the time being. So current course of action is maintain course. Raise salinity, observe, and research

righttirefire

I'm think starting Thursday the little clown will start a proactive Paraguard treatment. And I'm going to have to name him... he reminds me of the little octopus in finding Nemo always just "twirling" weeeee!

righttirefire

So, I finally broke down and got a refractor... I over paid at a LFS. Just a quick vacuum to get the debris off the bottom of the tank and about 6 cups of water from my main tank. I'll check salinity tomorrow. I dosed seachems prime again... I need to research that produce a little more

righttirefire

Salinity is up to 1.025. The little one is eating like piggy. Got a mysis shrimp treat while I was feeding the other tank last night. Also the Paraguard treatment started yesterday. 5ml per 10 gallon a day. I'm going to go for 7 days as a preventive measure.

Well its a good thing to see one of us doing things the right way. QT? What's that? :lol:

Anyways, that's a nice looking lil fella you've got there. Good luck with it. Got any picts of its future home?

righttirefire

Fnard-

20150626_150449_zpsy9zke8se.jpg

it's a work in progress. I believe the anemone has settled. I need to do a little more scaping. And get my Zoas off frag plugs. But everything hinges on that BTA

Pretty nice lil setup there. Have a build thread? Specs? How long has that been running? Only reason I ask is that it looks a bit young (lack of coralline, very white sand) and wondering how the BTA is/will hold up.

Never, never, never base anything off of a 'nem. Once you think its found a home, boom, its on the move. Just something you deal with.

righttirefire

So... I've been call nuts. But I have fake anemones in my qt. I play clown and anemone videos to the fish and put a picture of clowns in anemone against the qt tank... it must be a captive bred clown... or smarter than plastic decorations

righttirefire

Day 4 of paraguard. No issues. Swimming openly. No territory issues with my hand in the tank everday. I siphon about 8 cups of water out a day. In just general cleaning up of the bottom. Seems to be done algae forming on the glass. I'm not worried. It'll get broken down in 2 weeks. My major concern right now is the back to back weekends if camping. I have a good biofilter. Might swap I the new sponge filter after the treatment is complete. So Friday to sunday. No food, water change, no top off. I might start dropping salinity. But the everyday refractor check shows no drop in salinity. Much like my old 20 tall

• 7 months later...
righttirefire

20160221_162514_zps5nx1zut8.jpg

Holy BATMAN... revive an old thread...

Well the qt has been up for 2 weeks... finally bought a couple new fish. So the adventure begins again. This time the temp is cranked up to 81f. Salinity is going down to 16-12ppt. And para-gaurd.

Day 1.

Tailspot is pissed. Looking more like a chalk bass... fish got a "drip" acclimation... 2oz at a time and Paraguard 1 hour bath.

Tailspot hasn't moved much. Sixline is swimming around. But not in the open exploring

righttirefire

Day 2... just over 24 hours...

Tailspot

I dropped on an algea tab too.

Sixline - second helping

It only carried around the mysis and dropped it.

Both fish are looking good. Swimming. The tailspot is still breathing a little hard. With fat little bellys.

Did an 8 cup waterchange. Replaced with 12ppm heated salt water.

Archived