Cultivated Reef

Attn: SPECTRA! RTF QT is back!

righttirefire

righttirefire

Good to see they are still kicking......nice decorations :P

Silicone anenomes are awesome. My wrasse loves them. The clown wouldn't go near them. No fish viable this morning. I believe the tailspot has taken residence in the back of the rock. But the wrasse is anyones guess

That's a pretty serious qt setup!! I like it

It's a garage sale tank. I added a bigger heater the preset 50w couldn't keep up in the garage. And the AC50 is from my original 20H system before I sumped

righttirefire

Everything is still swimming and eating. The tailspot doesn't like when I siphon out the poop and uneaten food.

New technique. So after some research. Itd take about 8 days. Removing 1/2 gallon of water and adding 1/2 gallon rodi to get to 1.010. My goal salinity before starting paraguard for 4 weeks and then raising the salimit again. So I siphoned out my water and added a drip system. About 1 drop ever 2 seconds. That means in 24 hours the 1/2 should have dripped into the qt and change my salinity about .002 sg. So I was at 1.020 tonight. I should be at 1.018 tomorrow. Remove 1/2 gallon and start my 1/2 gallon drip again...

This assumes my drip is about 2ml. 256ml per cup. 8 cups per half gallon at a rate of 1 drip every 2 seconds...

Of something like that... if I did the math right today

righttirefire

The 6line appears to have popeye. It's acting normal. Salinity is down to 1.018. But the one side.eye looks glossy like a dog or cat at night and a slight bulge. I started paraguard. So 4 weeks here we go!

Both fish are eating and active

I am inspired to look through my stuff and see what Toys I an use for my QT tank. I did not QT my first fish, but I will be doing that to all subsequent fish.

Okay, your sterilisation procedures, how do?

righttirefire

Okay, your sterilisation procedures, how do?

I didn't qt my "first" fish. The chromis, yellow clown goby and diamond goby did lt qt. But the petco clown did 3.5weeks qt. In my 20

The red banded hifin. And pistol in the nuvo didn't get qt.

This.is.my 2nd round of qt. And I believe in it. The fish are stressed HARRY. quit being a sissy. They will he here.6 weeks 1.020-1.025 salinty. 1.week ro 1.010 hypo. 4 weeks of paraguard. 1.weeks 1.010 to 1.025 salinty.

Ac50 filter foam will be put I garbage. Tank will be drained and refilled with tap water. Plus bleach. And "cycle" for.1.week. the 1 week tap.water with prime. Then allowed to dry. Rinsed with rodi. Allowed to dry and stored in attic in a garbage bag until again needed

righttirefire

Well... we're down to 1.010 today. Day 4 of paraguard. The little wrasse is getting worse. Popeye. And i.noticed a white spot on the tail fin yesterday. It's looking more like fin rot. Current thought is keep treating with paraguard.

Since both fish are still eating like little pigs and active.

righttirefire

Well there it is... the little 6line with its finrot and popeye.. still active swimming and eating so not much concern, but I wish they'd clear up soon.

righttirefire

Poor little sixline. It's still actively eating. But the fins are in rough shape. I'll start furan-2 tonight... glad i.have 30 gallons for rodi in the garage I haven't added salt to yet.

It's been 1 week of paraguard and the original concern of "a little popeye" has increased... so time to change treatment

Pop eye is typically treated with antibiotics. Get something that's effective for gram-positive bacteria, like erythromycin.

Can't see the videos at work but based on your description and the fact that the paraguard isn't doing anything I would try an antibiotic. Parasitic and fungal issues are often accompanied by a cloudy appearance.

righttirefire

Pop eye is typically treated with antibiotics. Get something that's effective for gram-positive bacteria, like erythromycin.

Can't see the videos at work but based on your description and the fact that the paraguard isn't doing anything I would try an antibiotic. Parasitic and fungal issues are often accompanied by a cloudy appearance.

So you're recommending against furan-2? But the fin rot?

There is a tailspot blenny in there too showing no signs of "illness".

So you're recommending against furan-2? But the fin rot?

There is a tailspot blenny in there too showing no signs of "illness".

Whoops, I didn't see your comment on using furan-2. Or maybe I did and it just didn't click :P

I'm not an expert on antibiotics - but I believe furan 2 is Nitrofurazone which I is an older and harsher med. If you have furan 2 you can use it but if you still need to buy something I would consider Maracyn 2 (Minocycline) or Maracyn Plus if you can. I think the furan 2 should work though. Have water mixed up and ready (potential impacts to the biological filtration), and observe carefully during treatment. It's your call whether to treat the tailspot as well, but I generally don't treat antibiotics unless there are symptoms. Would probably be fine though.

I'll watch your videos tonight.

Archived