Pod Your Reef

My Mixed Reef JBJ Nanocube (Loaded to the brim)

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Hola Nano-Reefs! My name is Harry, from the sexy city of Miami and here is my tank!

Its been running for about 2 years, and I have a TON of pictures from its inception to today. I will be upgrading to a JBJ RL-45 as well soon, the design seen in my profile picture.

Disclaimer: Ive been told I am a "Funky Character", so there may be pictures of my insane Australian Shepard, Exotic Palm trees, fruit, and random memes I find amusing within my threads. If you can't handle the humorism, get out of Greece medicine- you won't enjoy it.

I also love history, plants, reefing, (Obviously) and pets.

Updated Equipment:

JBJ Nanocube (28 gallon)

• Radion XR30w PRO
  • Vortech MP10
  • 2x Mj 1200 Powerheads
  • JBJ Wave maker
  • Eshopps Pf-Nano Overflow
  • BRS Carbon Reactor
  • DIY 10 gallon sump
  • Super Reef Octopus 1000

Updated Livestock:

• 1 Scopas Tang (1.5 inch, temporary tank)
  • 2 Nassarius Snail
  • 2 Brown Leg Hermit
  • 1 Large Coral Banded Shrimp
  • 2 Red Leg Hermit
  • 1 Lawnmower Blenny
  • 1 BEAUTIFUL Maxima Clam

Updated Corals:

• Red Montipora Capraconis
  • Frogspawn
  • Duncan (appx. 8 head)
  • Open Brain (Trachyphyllia)
  • Chalice (I hate it- its a murderer)
  • Torch
  • 1 rescued fox Coral
  • 2 Neon Green Leather
  • 1 Large Colony Assorted Zoanthids
  • 1 Colony Palys
  • Yuma (Brown)
  • Yuma (Green)
  • Purple mushrooms
  • Yellow Polyps

IMG_0420_zpsqrtlejrq.jpg

IMG_0417_zpswnmrir9b.jpg

IMG_0414_zpshr0l2ive.jpg

93FC66AF-8AA0-498F-8F24-4266EB1B7B75_zps

HarryPotter

Thanks JoJoe! I really appreciate it, this is my first Reef Tank and I have learned a ton!

The tank has been set up for about two years, and I use LFS water. Pretty sure thats just purified ocean water

I know, why not mix your own, but I REALLY struggle with that. I have a RO/DI setup, but whenever I make my own salt water and add it to the tank the water turns opaque (Whitish) for a few days. Really stresses me out!

I rarely do water changes, about once every two months ill do a 5g change just if it is convenient. Don't hate! I add Kent A&B every other day to keep up with my Calcium sucking Maxima Clam

Edit:

I am really excited to upgrade to the RL-45. You can see I already planned the entire thing out (My Profile Picture) completely to scale, and will be making the tank much cleaner and easier. This will be the V2 of "Harrys attempt at reefing" :lol:

HarryPotter

This is my plan for the RL-45. I love Google Sketchup! My plan was actually featured by Marine Depot earlier on their FaceBook page, which I am pretty proud of :)

Super Reef Octopus 1000 skimmer, Radion XR30w Pro, Radion RMS mount, LifeReef Overflow, Ecotech Battery Backup, Vortech MP10w (Possibly 2 if I can afford it), Bubble Magnus Doser, 4" filter sock, Apex Gold, large ATO supply.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-05%20at%205.52.3

HarryPotter

A MP40w QD in a 45 gallon (Sand substrate) aquarium? That is not excessive?

Each MP10wQD can make 1500 GPH, for a total of 3000 GPH + the dual MJ1200s, for a total of 3600 gph, plus the sump return, for an estimated 4000GPH.

Given that this tank will have substrate, you don't think that is enough?

The Mp40wqd maxes out at 4500 gph, but I thought that the two Mp10wqd would provide a better irregular flow, including schedules countercurrents and other patterns.

HarryPotter

mp40 is personal preference but two mp10s will be ok :)

Why? Im just curious.

Do you think the single source flow is better? Is it your preference in terms of flow, price, what?

wrassegauche17

the coverage of mp40 is way better and you can adjust it down. have two mp10s on 30g and they dont do much.

think GaHillbilly agree on this.. but if you have sand and softies two mp10s will be alright.

HarryPotter

Think I could get away with a single MP40w QuietDrive?

I don't know what patterns one can do with one powerhead- it would be placed on one side. Can one still create useful detritus grabbing currents to get detritus into the water column to be skimmed out?

I do have a single MP40Qd on a 300 gallon Cichlid tank, its pretty darn cool. Ill think about it and research some placement :)

HarryPotter

Your tank and new tank sketch look great can't wait to see the new tank ill be following.

Thanks Addinali!

Hopefully I can implement all the plans in the design without deviating too much :)

HarryPotter

I officially give up on testing. I have this new "great" Red Sea Foundation Test kit ($49.99) and can't get NEARLY the same result twice.

The titrant keeps on changing colors after the testing is done, the titrant won't change at all, etc.

????

HarryPotter

Does anyone know the proper water level in the Nanocube return chamber? I feel like I'm not utilizing any of the potential with the terrible stock media basket

reefernanoman

Does anyone know the proper water level in the Nanocube return chamber? I feel like I'm not utilizing any of the potential with the terrible stock media basket

I threw mine in the trash because it always overflowed and bought an InTank media basket. But seems you are going to upgrade, just live with it for now. It sucks big time!

HarryPotter

Nobody NEEDS an Apex Dos lol.

Toüche- Obviously I've done fine with my random "Squirt Squirt" method w. Kent A & B :lol:

First priority is the RMS mount ($100), then the dry rock ($99), then the live sand ($??)

Im hoping to avoid the ENTIRE cycle by using all the live rock from the NanoCube (Ive been stockpiling it in the sump as well) and the water from the nanocube. Media too.

Toüche- Obviously I've done fine with my random "Squirt Squirt" method w. Kent A & B :lol:

First priority is the RMS mount ($100), then the dry rock ($99), then the live sand ($??)

Im hoping to avoid the ENTIRE cycle by using all the live rock from the NanoCube (Ive been stockpiling it in the sump as well) and the water from the nanocube. Media too.

Get this little guy. Same exact thing as all the $300+ dosers. They work great and are half the price. Search it on ebay and you can usually get them with free shipping and a free replacement head. They do barter through the message system as well. I've gotten them to include 2 replacement heads before.

HarryPotter

Get this little guy. Same exact thing as all the $300+ dosers. They work great and are half the price. Search it on ebay and you can usually get them with free shipping and a free replacement head. They do barter through the message system as well. I've gotten them to include 2 replacement heads before.

Funny- Ive actually researched that exact one :lol:

From the threads I've seen, it seems pretty hit and miss. Half the reefers have two pumps die on them, the other half claim perfect performance for years.

Im considering a MUCH simpler solution- getting two cheap Peristaltic pumps, and creating a dosing schedule using the Apex JR & EB8. That will be über cheap and I can use the reliable Apex as a controller.

Archived