SaltCritters.com

My Mixed Reef JBJ Nanocube (Loaded to the brim)

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Very nice Harry.

Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone with so much more experience :)

Question- so my hermit crab is constantly crawling through my Paly/Zoa colony (No idea what it is). It picks at it for a few hours and looks like it's having a snack, but as soon as it moves away they open again. No apparent damage, and the colony is doing better than ever!

Im thinking its just some sort of symbiotic relationship; cleaning the colony of algae or some sort of pest? What do you think?

(Favorite colony- came from a two-polyp frag and now look where I am at!)

FF4622D1-F7A4-40CA-96E8-64EEEFD1D4F1_zpsIMG_0419_zpsadhcqvjj.jpg

righttirefire

I don't have any hermets... but I did have a little hitchhiker star eat a zoa... I'd say if it opens back up no damage odds are it's eating the algae between the polyps. You have some beautiful pieces. Everything you have going is hands down nicer than my stuff

HarryPotter

I don't have any hermets... but I did have a little hitchhiker star eat a zoa... I'd say if it opens back up no damage odds are it's eating the algae between the polyps. You have some beautiful pieces. Everything you have going is hands down nicer than my stuff

OH I JUST REALIZED THAT THE HERMIT HAS ZOAS ON IT. WHAT THE HELL! LOOK! WHAT ARE THEY?!?!?!?

Thanks for the compliment, although I'm not sure about that! I just take the free/ $5 (hospital) frags from the LFS that nobody else wants (single floating zoa, 9/10 RTNd Montipora, etc) and do my best to save them.

righttirefire

That's what I do... except for the original setup and this sump build I spend less than $40 a week on my tank. I love the single head zoas. My 3 head torch is the most expensive piece I have I cost me $40. I like watching the single heads turn into 4... I'm already planing my mix zoa rock. I need to do something about this pulsing xenia... may even start a gsp vs xenia rock.

Is it a decorator hermet?

HarryPotter

That's what I do... except for the original setup and this sump build I spend less than $40 a week on my tank. I love the single head zoas. My 3 head torch is the most expensive piece I have I cost me $40. I like watching the single heads turn into 4... I'm already planing my mix zoa rock. I need to do something about this pulsing xenia... may even start a gsp vs xenia rock.

Is it a decorator hermet?

$40 a week? Thats about 20x more than me- wish I had your budget! Im in high school, and even buying water and carbon presents a monthly struggle! The tank finances itself now though, which is pretty awesome.

Ive recently been giving away to local reefers because the LFS got a new owner who tries to rip me off. He offers $2 or $3 for a 8+ Zoa frag, so I just trade or donate!

In terms of what Hermit it is- no idea. By its legs I am guessing a red hermit or scarlet hermit, but do not know how to identify them. The thing is I don't believe that I have those Zoas growing in my aquarium! Mysterious :)

I officially give up on testing. I have this new "great" Red Sea Foundation Test kit ($49.99) and can't get NEARLY the same result twice.

The titrant keeps on changing colors after the testing is done, the titrant won't change at all, etc.

That was my problem too. I bought a couple of Hanna meters. Salifert for the Mg. Even though the Mg is still a titration, I found it easier to identify the end point.

HarryPotter

That was my problem too. I bought a couple of Hanna meters. Salifert for the Mg. Even though the Mg is still a titration, I found it easier to identify the end point.

Im thinking on getting some generic $3.99 API test kits. I just want to know my Ca and KH!

HarryPotter

Bought an API Ca test kit, Purigen, and 10g salt water with the last of my Pipe Organ Frags!

Hopefully this test will be easier :-)

And yes, I bought salt water. I'm planning on doing a big cleaning so figured I may as well do a water change :-)

HarryPotter

Tested with API, Ca is 480. Is that too high? I will probably skip A&B for a while to let it go down, no?

• 3 weeks later...
HarryPotter

Well, today I will finally be taking down this tank. The last inhabitant, a Coral Banded Shrimp was traded to the LFS for a cleaner shrimp (For the upgrade) and the tank has no more livestock!

The equipment (Mp10wES, Pumps, sump, stand, tank, reactor, etc. will be going on sale shortly)

Archived