SaltCritters.com

Chemipure Blue

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

Good afternoon gang,

Quick question, I want to switch from KZ Carbon to Chemipure Blue in regards to my kid's 4 gallon PICO.

Would the 5.5oz bag be appropriate or the tank is too small to use that?

Safe to use?

SouthFlorida_Tron

OK, thats a relief. Im tired of switching the carbon in and out every 30 days, i don't mind it for my larger tank as it serves a purpose, but for that small amount for that small tank, it feels like a waste of time, would rather drop a bag of something back there and forget it for a few months LOL

:rolleyes:

Well, that's kind of why I switched to it too. Based on the estimated life and the size of the tanks, should be good for a year or so. :D But I'll probably change it every 4-6 months.

You should be good, I use two of the 5.5 in my 10 gallon tank, in my canister filter. Been doing it for months and everything is great.

jedimasterben

OK, thats a relief. Im tired of switching the carbon in and out every 30 days, i don't mind it for my larger tank as it serves a purpose, but for that small amount for that small tank, it feels like a waste of time, would rather drop a bag of something back there and forget it for a few months LOL

:rolleyes:

The problem with using any kind of media is that in a relatively short amount of time, the pores of the media become clogged with detritus and bacterial films rendering it less effective over time. It's actually much more efficient to use less media and change it more often, because after a while, even though the media is not exhausted, it can't do it job.

Spiderguardnano

The problem with using any kind of media is that in a relatively short amount of time, the pores of the media become clogged with detritus and bacterial films rendering it less effective over time. It's actually much more efficient to use less media and change it more often, because after a while, even though the media is not exhausted, it can't do it job.

Sorry to hijack the thread but my purigen bag is a little brown and dirty hasn't been in my tank for a month yet should I wash it out or get a new one?

Wash it out if it's the bag that is actually brown but it depends on what is actually on that bag. Purigen will brown or red as it absorbs junk.

jedimasterben

Sorry to hijack the thread but my purigen bag is a little brown and dirty hasn't been in my tank for a month yet should I wash it out or get a new one?

Like Stevie said, wash it out if it's just the bag that is dirty, if it is the media then regenerate it via bleach or hydrogen peroxide (3% peroxide works but takes longer, though safer).

Spiderguardnano

Whats the blue?

I know what Chemipure is.

I know what Elite is.

Dunno what the blue is.

Word on the streets is it makes your water wetter

But you didn't hear that from me

jedimasterben

Whats the blue?

I know what Chemipure is.

I know what Elite is.

Dunno what the blue is.

It's supposed to have different ion exchange resins in it than standard CP and CPE. Here are the highlights from the web page about it:

THE BENEFITS OF USING CHEMIPURE BLUE:

• Keeps pH stable and constant
  • Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
  • Keeps aquariums crystal clear
  • Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
  • Removes dissolved organics
  • Helps fish have a better appetite
  • Eliminates osmotic shock
  • Increases fish life span
  • Filters out coppers, metals, odors and phenol
  • Prevents ion antagonism

The ones in bold are horseshit.

its carbon with (ion exchanging resins) in the same bag. Basically chemipure + purigen

No, Purigen and Chemipure resins are nothing alike except that both target specific ions. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349568-how-to-use-cpe-and-purigen/?p=4799422

It's supposed to have different ion exchange resins in it than standard CP and CPE. Here are the highlights from the web page about it:

THE BENEFITS OF USING CHEMIPURE BLUE:

• Keeps pH stable and constant
  • Reduces fish loss due to pH changes or polluted water
  • Keeps aquariums crystal clear
  • Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment
  • Removes dissolved organics
  • Helps fish have a better appetite
  • Eliminates osmotic shock
  • Increases fish life span
  • Filters out coppers, metals, odors and phenol
  • Prevents ion antagonism

The ones in bold are horseshit.

No, Purigen and Chemipure resins are nothing alike except that both target specific ions. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349568-how-to-use-cpe-and-purigen/?p=4799422

So a quick look at seachems website says this about purigens resin:

Purigen® is the highest capacity organic filtration resin on the market. No other products can compare to its ability to clear haziness and polish water to unparalleled clarity. Unlike other products on the market which are simple ion-exchange resins, Purigen® is specifically designed to be an organic scavenging resin. When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen® has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics. The primary source of nitrogenous compounds in an aquarium is waste. Fish, corals, even plants produce nitrogenous waste. Purigen® removes that waste faster and more completely than anything else on the market.

Which leads me to ask: what is the lifespan of an ion exchange resin if a bag or purigen browns typically in 4 weeks for me.

jedimasterben

So a quick look at seachems website says this about purigens resin:

Purigen® is the highest capacity organic filtration resin on the market. No other products can compare to its ability to clear haziness and polish water to unparalleled clarity. Unlike other products on the market which are simple ion-exchange resins, Purigen® is specifically designed to be an organic scavenging resin. When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen® has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics. The primary source of nitrogenous compounds in an aquarium is waste. Fish, corals, even plants produce nitrogenous waste. Purigen® removes that waste faster and more completely than anything else on the market.

Which leads me to ask: what is the lifespan of an ion exchange resin if a bag or purigen browns typically in 4 weeks for me.

Depending on how aggressive the resins are in Chemipure, probably around the same or less time. Is the Purigen itself brown or is the bag brown? If the Purigen itself is brown, just regenerate it with bleach or peroxide. if just the bag is, then soak it in peroxide for a few hours.

Depending on how aggressive the resins are in Chemipure, probably around the same or less time. Is the Purigen itself brown or is the bag brown? If the Purigen itself is brown, just regenerate it with bleach or peroxide. if just the bag is, then soak it in peroxide for a few hours.

The purigen tends to brown not the bag, I am familiar with the recharge was just curious as I learned it wasn't an ion exchange resin just now.

jedimasterben

The purigen tends to brown not the bag, I am familiar with the recharge was just curious as I learned it wasn't an ion exchange resin just now.

Gotcha, yep, it's an adsorption resin, so it just wants the ions to be friends with it until an oxidizer is present and it unfriends them on Facebook :lol:

Gotcha, yep, it's an adsorption resin, so it just wants the ions to be friends with it until an oxidizer is present and it unfriends them on Facebook :lol:

This is the best analogy ever. :wub:

Archived