Top Shelf Aquatics

how to use CPE and Purigen

Halo_003

jedimasterben

So what should I use with the purigen in my reef tank?

Purigen is an adsorption resin that behaves like a regenerable activated carbon. Chemipure products are ion echange resins (which 'trade' ions of their resin for ions of dissolved organics and anything else attracted to it) that behave like a non-regenerable activated carbon.

If you're worried about phosphate, add GFO or Phosguard (GFO works much better in higher flow to avoid clumping, Phosguard granules are round and smooth and do not need high flow to be effective), otherwise add nothing.

Yes yes. I meant a purigen like compound not the brand name. Kinda like band aids or adhesive strips. Lol.

Not really. See above.

jedimasterben

I thought the chemipure blue had a resin similar to di resin in it for added filtration.

If it did, how long do you think it would last in saltwater?

According to the Boyd Enterprise website, chemipure blue contains high capacity ion-exchange resin. That is basically di resin isn't it? I mean it isn't exactly di resin but it should have a similar function, right?

jedimasterben

According to the Boyd Enterprise website, chemipure blue contains high capacity ion-exchange resin. That is basically di resin isn't it? I mean it isn't exactly di resin but it should have a similar function, right?

Deionization resin is different than an ion exchange resin (which I'd presume to be remarkably similar to the ion exchange resin already present in Chemipure and Chemipure Elite). DI resins are two part, an anion and cation, each attracting charged particles and 'not letting them go', essentially stripping the water and leaving only pure water. Ion exchange resins are, well, just that, they trap one ion and release another, and are made only to attract specific ions.

To answer the OP :

3.1oz of CPE / 10g of water is what they pre-package, but since it comes as a mixed product I'm not sure how to ensure you have the appropriate mixture if you break it open and separate it.

Purigen is an adsorption resin that behaves like a regenerable activated carbon. Chemipure products are ion echange resins (which 'trade' ions of their resin for ions of dissolved organics and anything else attracted to it) that behave like a non-regenerable activated carbon.

If you're worried about phosphate, add GFO or Phosguard (GFO works much better in higher flow to avoid clumping, Phosguard granules are round and smooth and do not need high flow to be effective), otherwise add nothing.

Not really. See above.

Thank you!! makes a lot of sense.

To answer the OP : 3.1oz of CPE / 10g of water is what they pre-package, but since it comes as a mixed product I'm not sure how to ensure you have the appropriate mixture if you break it open and separate it.

Thanks! I added the 12oz bag of CPE to the 55G Cichlid tank.

Is it safe to add the full 100mL prebagged size of Purigen to my 20L reef? I'm concerned about it having a shock effect potentially.

jedimasterben

Is it safe to add the full 100mL prebagged size of Purigen to my 20L reef? I'm concerned about it having a shock effect potentially.

Nah, it'll be fine. I just added around 900mL to my 80g tank.

NaturalViolence

Purigen is a polymer based microsieving absorbent specifically engineered for removing common nitrogenous compounds (organic waste) in aquariums. Chemipure elite/blue are just activated carbon with ion exchange resin and GFO mixed in. Overpriced for what it is. And yes as previously mentioned the ion exchange resins do almost nothing in saltwater.

I would recommend bulk activated carbon from brs over purigen. And either GFO (if you plan on getting a media reactor) or phosguard (if you don't) for phosphate removal.

Purigen is a polymer based microsieving absorbent specifically engineered for removing common nitrogenous compounds (organic waste) in aquariums. Chemipure elite/blue are just activated carbon with ion exchange resin and GFO mixed in. Overpriced for what it is. And yes as previously mentioned the ion exchange resins do almost nothing in saltwater.

I would recommend bulk activated carbon from brs over purigen. And either GFO (if you plan on getting a media reactor) or phosguard (if you don't) for phosphate removal.

this is why i started mixing my own Seachem Matrix + Seachem Phosguard instead of CPE.

Archived