SaltCritters.com

how to use CPE and Purigen

Halo_003

Just got some shipped in the other day. I plan to use both on my two tanks, one is a 55G cichlid tank, the other is a 20L with coral and rock right now, no fish yet.

How do you contain it? I mean, what would work as a media bag? The idea of spending $20 to get a couple of Seachem bags seems dumb. Also, how much should I use for each tank?

I use the boyd mesh bags. You get 2 for 5$ at md or brs. Kinda pricey but I only use them every 1 - 3 months. Im not sure if.you could use a nylon stocking but I have heard of a few people that use them as a sock in there sump, might be an option. The cpe should come bagged already. As far as how much to use depends on tank size. I believe recommended amount for the purigen is 1ml per gallon and can last 3-6 months. I change mine every 2-3 months or when it looks a darker color, like brown. As far as cpe, havent used it in a while so I dont remember but I was using the mid size bag on my bc29 and changing it out every month to month and a half. I switched to straight carbon that I bag myself and swap every 3 weeks or so and sometimes I go a few weeks with out any. Mesh bag should be 180 micron or less hope this helps

Yeah I just looked md has the 2pack for $4.49. Brs has there brand. I prefer the boyd bags over the drawstring and zipper bags

jedimasterben

Purigen granules are very, very small, and I've never seen a mesh bag that would work. Buy a "the bag" for it. Skip chemipure altogether.

Yep just rinse it well when you do a wc in old tank water. The gfo makes the bag it comes in look rusty. Purigen sells 100ml pre bagged packs for about $7.00 ea.

jedimasterben

Why so?

Because you're already running Purigen. If you're worried about phosphate, then use either Seachem Phosguard or GFO.

Spiderguardnano

Because you're already running Purigen. If you're worried about phosphate, then use either Seachem Phosguard or GFO.

So you would suggest purigen with phosguard will be a good combo? And just skip chemipure

jedimasterben

So you would suggest purigen with phosguard will be a good combo? And just skip chemipure

Yup. Purigen is easily regenerable via bleach or hydrogen peroxide.

I heard phosgaurd contains aluminum

Phosguard is aluminum oxide (Al2O3). GFO is ferrous (aka iron III) oxide (Fe2O3).

I added the CPE to the Cichlid tank. At Ben's recommendation I think I'll use the Purigen for my 20L reef tank.

I am curious if I need to add anything else to either tank chemical filtration wise. The CPE is the only chemical filtration in the Cichlid tank, and the Purigen will be the only in the 20L reef. Also, the Purigen I got was a prebagged 100mL one. Would that be too much to just drop in the AC70 on the 20L?

I was under the impression CPE and Purigen were often used together with great results?

I think the new chemi blue has purigen in it and maybe did away with the gfo but not for sure about the gfo

Purigen is from Seachem, Chemipure is from Boyd Enterprises.

Yes yes. I meant a purigen like compound not the brand name. Kinda like band aids or adhesive strips. Lol.

Archived