SaltCritters.com

CUC is in! - Son of Godzilla

evanski

BattleAthletics

Yeah...the light seems like it was built for the tank. I am quite excited about it...but now I have to get going on the cabinets so I can get water in the thing.

I am thinking about a widely mixed tank. LOTS of LPS with just a smattering of SPS...not looking to have automated dosers etc. Like to have some nice, lush mushrooms and bright colorful zoanthids. I am thinking three discrete islands and no sand.

Your input would be welcome. Not looking for the same boring things I see everywhere else.

Oh, yes...and a few RFAs and a clam or two.

Are you going to manually dose then? The Marine Color doser is only 140$.

I know eh? it's sooo amazing and pretty it is beautiful. OOOO pretty colours are pretty.

Let the pagent begin!

BTW are the CRAZY bright, or just crazy bright with small letters, I think you are exaggerating.

Do you love your new torch and toxic hammer?

Do they really stand out from far away?

Is flowing LPS really the best and do you have the paperwork to prove it?

So where is this mystery tank full of cliches?

ok

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok

(Don't ask, he was trolling a thread were a guy was needing help.)

Dunno...ideally I would like to take care of ion replenishment through water changes. I suppose it will depend on how much SPS I have. Right now not even testing CA/Alk in my 2G.

If I get to that point, I will probably get a doser since I am out of town quite a bit on work and don't want to be tied to the tank.

BattleAthletics

Fine, thanks.

How goes the tank?

I really havent messed with it other than doing water changes. So much work going on at work now its hard to have a day off.

I still havent troubleshot the apex and im using a dj panel to controll some of my stuff. Fern caulepera out the wazoo too lol

I have a Nuvo 16 and will follow your thread. I love your list. Lots on my with list. :D Can't wait for pics.

Cool! Do you have a build thread as well?

LOTS of IM 16 builds here, so there is some good corporate knowledge with regards to the system.

What did you have in mind for lights? Filtration? Stocking? Oh forget it...just start a thread! omgomgomg

• 1 month later...
lilmatty5dimes

thats one hella of a order. going to be stunning when it all comes to play. do you have any updates on this?

• 2 months later...

Holy cow...had no idea I went 6 months with a build thread without actually setting up a tank!

Was working on countertop, delayed that, then decided to move.

In TX now, bought a house, etc. Should be able to get this thing wet in the next couple of weeks, Halloween at the latest.

Ran across the following, picked it up for $175. Antique mahogany cabinet in an architectural salvage shop, and SOLID as hell!

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/evanski1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6FD304F8-0B9E-4136-BB58-9B83481E2614.jpg.html'>6FD304F8-0B9E-4136-BB58-9B83481E2614.jpg

• 7 months later...

OK, I realize this is the least productive build thread evar...

UPDATE: After agreeing to swap out my IM 16 for a Nuvo 20 based upon another spate of tank failures, IM refused to follow up with their promise to switch them out.

Brian Hsieh at IM basically pulled an extended "Who's on first" routine with me. My premise was that there was a KNOWN design flaw with a substantial failure rate, we had just put hardwoods in the office, and I should not have to demonstrate a $1000 water damage bill to get this swapped out. I also had purchased a ton of equipment specifically for this tank (spin streams, InTank baskets, etc) which would basically be a loss if I went with another company. This does not mention selling my Vortech at a significant loss already.

Brian basically repeated the same mantra..."only a few lost tanks out of hundreds of thousands", your media baskets will still work, etc. Repetitive, unhelpful, and still not living up to previous commitment IN WRITING to exchange tanks.

I did manage to sell the tank (again at significant loss) and have a Nuvo 20 on hold...but they are backordered 3+ months at this point at LFS I support. I hate to buy another tank from them, but this is the only AOI in this form factor, it has a very good reputation, and my up front investment in lights, baskets, etc. will work seamlessly.

And yes, I STILL need to make the stand, as wife/deputy reef keeper has stolen the mahogany table I bought. No rush though, as it will be 1-3 months before I actually get the tank.

I cannot say how disappointed I am in IM and their customer service. Seriously, you guys suck.

• 3 weeks later...

glad you didn't risk the floors to that flood waiting to happen, have you looked at doing a derimmed 20long with an ac110? or even a custom 20l with ac110? If anything maintenance would be easier because you could just pick the whole thing up and clean it and it would prolly save some money. Only downside I can think of is that it sticks up above the rim a bit and would ruin the completely clean rim look, but other than that you can still hide a heater in and and all the filter craps.

Hey Hey! (Lol)

Yeah...but I really do well with AIOs and have all the goodies for this form

Factor. Despite the irritation, it is exactly what I want so I will swallow my disgust and make an awesome tank.

lilmatty5dimes

This is my second tank running aquaclear filters and to be honest I loved it over my nuvo 16 on any day. The back section collected some much crap and was a nitrate factory. Lol check out my 7.5g mistress build and 12g cadlights. Could give you some ideas on running just an AC filter.

Either way it sucks about how IM is handling the situation. Good luck

aviator300

Hey Hey! (Lol)

Yeah...but I really do well with AIOs and have all the goodies for this form

Factor. Despite the irritation, it is exactly what I want so I will swallow my disgust and make an awesome tank.

This is the reason IM continues to provide lousy customer service and laugh at the reefing community all the way to the bank.

I agree...but I still will get the tank I really want. It goes against the grain, but not as much as losing ~$150 custom add-ons because I am in a snit.

The fact that they suck at customer service has not changed.

This is the reason IM continues to provide lousy customer service and laugh at the reefing community all the way to the bank.

aviator300

I agree...but I still will get the tank I really want. It goes against the grain, but not as much as losing ~$150 custom add-ons because I am in a snit.

The fact that they suck at customer service has not changed.

I really do hope your tank turns out great and I'm sure it will. The best of luck to you.

• 4 weeks later...

OK...we are 16 months after the "start" of my build...and I just ordered the IM 20.

Youngest son is coming out for the summer, he and I are going to build the stand and get the sucker wet.

Many thanks to Greg/AKA NGaHillbilly for the discussion on building stands.

OK...we are 16 months after the "start" of my build...and I just ordered the IM 20.

Youngest son is coming out for the summer, he and I are going to build the stand and get the sucker wet.

Many thanks to Greg/AKA NGaHillbilly for the discussion on building stands.

Sorry you had so much trouble, E. That sucks man. :(

Any way you could forward those stand plans from NGaHillBilly my way? He was going to send them but has been too busy. I want to use them as a base for a stand design.

Sorry you had so much trouble, E. That sucks man. :(

Any way you could forward those stand plans from NGaHillBilly my way? He was going to send them but has been too busy. I want to use them as a base for a stand design.

Not much by way of plans but I will send you what I have. Using 1x2 red oak, Kreg jig, and a walnut butcher block for the top. Sides and doors done in 1/4" red oak plywood.

OK, let's kick this pig...

Got da box

E8723892-58ED-45BF-8FAF-815C9003999F.jpg

Sketchup of tank on Floor and Decor (we Call it #### you and Decor) Walnut Butcher Block. Back of tank is flush with back face of butcher block, 0.7" edge sides and front.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/butcher-blocks-decoratives/walnut-butcher-block-countertop-8ft.-100020676.html

IM%2020%20Stand_v2.jpg

Will be working on the rest of the base and a cut list...which I will start AFTER I finish the built ins and Laura's new sewing table.

Archived