SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone - Dying?

hypostatic

5sExelQ.jpg

So I bought this guy yesterday in a hurry (I guess I was just so excited to finally get one), and I didn't thoroughly inspect it like I should have. I bought the anemone a few hours after it had arrived at the shop, so I'm thinking that maybe it might just be really stressed from all the change. But it's foot looks kinda weird too -- is it ripped? I drip acclimated this guy for 2 hours, and place him directly on the sand, so I'm sure I didn't damage it.

Would it be outrageous to ask the LFS for a refund/credit if the guy doesn't improve?

What's the stuff behind the tentacles and after the foot? I didn't do any drip acclimation. It may have gotten more stressed by the acclimation. I temperature acclimated, then took out the nem, layed it on the styrofoam to let it purge the water from the bag for a few mins, then I turned off the pump off so it could take the 3- 60 sec to start attaching to a rock, me holding it there.

What's the stuff behind the tentacles and after the foot?

I'm not sure - The only things in the picture are the nem, sand, glass, and a limpet

I would call and let them know that the foot is torn after purchase. It's common for a LFS to pull up an anemone in a hurry.

they're also closed till tuesday >.<

What's the stuff behind the tentacles and after the foot? I didn't do any drip acclimation. It may have gotten more stressed by the acclimation. I temperature acclimated, then took out the nem, layed it on the styrofoam to let it purge the water from the bag for a few mins, then I turned off the pump off so it could take the 3- 60 sec to start attaching to a rock, me holding it there.

So I shouldn't drip acclimate? My tank's SG is different than the store's though -- it's about 1.027

The foot also wasn't very sticky when I put it in the tank. I placed it on top of a large ceramic plug and it just kept falling over.

Their feet aren't sticky, and they like the sand as well, that's where they're mostly collected from in the ocean, on the sand. Many nems will be completely covered in sand and only unearth themselves a little bit. Normal. I put my last 3 I bought on the sand, they attached quickly to the sand and then glass below. I touched it and it completely retracted under the sand. An hour later it popped itself up again to be even with the sand.

From Live Aquaria:

The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls, or within the substrate. They will bury most of their body in the sand, with only the oral disc and tentacles showing.

You can dump some of the water from the bag and add yours along the way, then lastly take out the nem.

• Like 2

My rock nem arrived nearly dry on a shell in a priority mail ENVELOPE FROM Florida. I screamed bloody murder at the vendor because it wasn't cheap. They told me to just toss it in the tank and watch it come to life like a sponge in a capsule does. Yup. It did. I think they are hardier than we think. If your nem is looking poor it was probably in bad shape at the LFS

• Like 1

If it wasn't attaching to something almost immediately it was in trouble when you bought it. Did you turn off all flow when you put it in the tank? I do this to give it a better chance at attaching to the rock. I would leave it near the sand but against a rock. Mine like to attach at the base of rock and I've seen them like that a lot in the wild (videos).

I wouldn't drip acclimate. The best way seems to be to take it out of the transport bag and let it sit on a surface to purge the water for a minute or so and then put it right into the tank.

So sorry this happened for you. Looks like a pretty one! And I would definitely contact the store and let them know what happened. Drip acclimating would not have caused this issue. It came that way from the store.

• Like 1

They are very forgiving. When I had that bad issue in my tank where everything was closing up? The rock flowers were the only ones that had no ill effect. Just give it a couple days probably, Give it some light. They're very easy to care for.

• Like 2

If your nem is looking poor it was probably in bad shape at the LFS

Gah. This is what hapens when you get overly excited and you let that cloud your judgment at the LFS

If it wasn't attaching to something almost immediately it was in trouble when you bought it. Did you turn off all flow when you put it in the tank? I do this to give it a better chance at attaching to the rock. I would leave it near the sand but against a rock. Mine like to attach at the base of rock and I've seen them like that a lot in the wild (videos).

I wouldn't drip acclimate. The best way seems to be to take it out of the transport bag and let it sit on a surface to purge the water for a minute or so and then put it right into the tank.

So sorry this happened for you. Looks like a pretty one! And I would definitely contact the store and let them know what happened. Drip acclimating would not have caused this issue. It came that way from the store.

Yeah, I turned off the pumps and gently placed it on a ceramic plug. After a few minutes it just kinda fell over.

So after temp acclimating it, I could just put it on top of a plastic plate for it to purge? What is this step for?

So I shouldn't drip acclimate even if the store's salinity is different than mine?

Their feet aren't sticky, and they like the sand as well, that's where they're mostly collected from in the ocean, on the sand. Many nems will be completely covered in sand and only unearth themselves a little bit. Normal. I put my last 3 I bought on the sand, they attached quickly to the sand and then glass below. I touched it and it completely retracted under the sand. An hour later it popped itself up again to be even with the sand.

From Live Aquaria:

The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls, or within the substrate. They will bury most of their body in the sand, with only the oral disc and tentacles showing.

You can dump some of the water from the bag and add yours along the way, then lastly take out the nem.

I thought mine would like to cover itself with sand but it's always pretending to be a sunflower.

Yeah, I turned off the pumps and gently placed it on a ceramic plug. After a few minutes it just kinda fell over.

So after temp acclimating it, I could just put it on top of a plastic plate for it to purge? What is this step for?

So I shouldn't drip acclimate even if the store's salinity is different than mine?

If it fell over it wasn't healthy.

I think the purging is more for anemones being shipped to you to get the nasties out of them from the shipping water, but I think it could work in buying from a LFS too.

I wouldn't drip acclimate it. If it's a huge difference, just do the cup of water, wait 15 min, add another cup of water, etc. until the salinity matches. I think they are so hardy though that it's not even necessary.

• Like 2

I had a couple that looked a lot worse than that when I nearly killed them when upgrading. I put them in a low flow area and fed them. One still doesn't look great, the tentacles aren't very sticky so feeding it can be a challenge yet. I should have taken pictures of the road to recovery. One thing is to feed it small pieces of food so it can pull them into the mouth easier. Both were bleached when I got them to begin with one was so bleached it looked white with blue lines.

I don't drip acclimate and my lfs is 1.022 and mine is 1,026. Usually ammonia build up in the back is more dangerous than the difference in SG.

• Like 1

Current pics. There's like, white stringy stuff coming out of the sides.

HoRwqDj.jpg

qJA0EVe.jpg

This is what it looks like when I flip it over

ESrgrTd.jpg