Cultivated Reef

Rock Flower Anemone - Dying?

hypostatic

I don't know what happened to that poor thing but it looks mutilated. The picture didn't show that yesterday as bad as it was. I don't believe there's a point at dipping it. But I would take it back to the lfs for them to see it. I've never heard of nems being dipped but I'm still young in this hobby. I'd take it out as it's polluting the water at this point.

• Like 1

So I did a 15 min (2X) dip. Here's hoping that helped

Your LFS tore the foot removing it from the rock. I guarantee it!

Yeah, I got a closer look when I dipped it. The foot is nice and torn. That white stringy stuff? That would be it's guts coming out the side/bottom where the foot was torn.

Smell it. It probably smells really bad. I would remove it too. If by chance it doesn't smell bad, leave it in just in case.

I didn't get a serious whiff of it, but it didn't smell anything too out of the ordinary -- and I've smelled dead tank stuff X.x

It's still sorta responsive to the touch, so I think it's still alive for now. Let's see what tomorrow brings...

So I did a 15 min (2X) dip. Here's hoping that helped

Yeah, I got a closer look when I dipped it. The foot is nice and torn. That white stringy stuff? That would be it's guts coming out the side/bottom where the foot was torn.

I didn't get a serious whiff of it, but it didn't smell anything too out of the ordinary -- and I've smelled dead tank stuff X.x

It's still sorta responsive to the touch, so I think it's still alive for now. Let's see what tomorrow brings...

I would leave it in then. I'm not that familiar with rock nems to know if it could recover from that damage, but if it doesn't smell bad (you would know LOL) then I think you are making the right decision to leave it in and see what tomorrow brings :).

A yuma landed on my rock flower anemone yesterday and it has been unhappy ever since. It did not eat the yuma however the yuma does have a nasty sting, it has melted acans and SPS before. I rescued the 2 animals fairly quickly but the anemone looks out of sorts.

20140408_092553.jpg

If it didn't smell bad there is hope. Believe me if you took it out to dip it you would have smelled it right away!

I have actually passed up on buying anemones because I thought the person working that day didn't know how to get them out without ripping them.

Sigh, yeah. I feel guilty about buying it without giving it a thorough inspection though. Like, I feel like I should have known better

Sigh, yeah. I feel guilty about buying it without giving it a thorough inspection though. Like, I feel like I should have known better

I can't believe how they goofed up and still tried to sell it.

• 3 years later...

I know this is old, but I really feel what you had gone through. I have lost 5, and now I think another one is going next... I’m just glad Frank and his wife @VIPReef is making sure it’s taken cared of. 

C887E2ED-4E6A-4A7E-A65E-7914371799A1.jpeg