lGVsKzll.jpg

1/19/14 Water, Rock & Sand Ready

YKaKQaJl.jpg

She's got water

1/25/14

CeRNJ7Hl.jpg

3/2/14

SvgEJmrl.jpg

I will use this thread to log data and tank updates.

• costs
  • upgrades
  • inventory
  • images
  • test results
  • future plans
  • thoughts

DIY List

• Custom Tank Stand
  • AC70 Mod
  • GFCI Upgrade
  • Tank Cover
  • Kessil Pendant Shade
  • Fuge Light Bracket Mod
  • Corner Surface Skimmer
  • IKEA Cabinet Customizing
  • Top-Down Viewing Box For N5
  • ATO reservoir

List of purchases so far:

• 13.3 gallon Mr. aqua bow
  • Kessil 150w 10k pendant with goose-neck
  • ReefKeeper Elite
  • AC70 fuge mod (which I completed last night as I wait for the rest of the stuff)
  • API Saltwater Test Kit
  • Cobalt 75w heater
  • Koralia Nano 425
  • Mini-Mag
  • Fluval Gravel Cleaner
  • Tahitian Moon 20lb Returned for Hawaiian Black
  • Hydrometer & thermometer
  • BRS Pukani Dry Rock 15lbs.
  • PA Cured Live Rock 10lbs.
  • MP10wES
  • JBJ Nano-Glo
  • Darth Shield for MP10

Index:

Test Scape w/ BRS Pukani

Finished Stand

First Light

Dry Scaping

Rock, Sand & Water

My old 10 gallon from 2005 -ish

Live Rock Popsicle

2/10/12 Test Results

2/12/12 Test Results

Stocking Plans - Need input

2/21/14 Test Results

DIY ATO Reservoir

3/2/14 Test Results and FTS

Wartskin Angler Added

and remember...

OxpFvnZ.jpg
Thanks for looking.
Adam
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first step was to convert the normal outlet to a GFCI outlet.

EaKLRqnl.jpg

Simple enough.

Purchase Outlet

zwWnYnsl.jpg

Turn off breaker

B7VJTMLl.jpg
Read Instructions
6HWmeXUl.jpg
Lick fingers .... and..... it's done.
QMWuQpDl.jpg
And yes, I am aware it's upside down. This is the kind of attention to detail you can come to expect.

Got my tank in yesterday. Great packing. Over packed if anything.

First thing I did was place it on the mantle and throw the kessil over it.

Foanuwul.jpg

GHRHKD3l.jpg

Then I filled it with water

CKtAHQ2l.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was supposed to leave that filled for a couple days. :ugh:

Painted the back... it's kind of a graphite color. will probably look black.

QeLUMELl.jpg'

In between coats drying I finished some modding on my AC70 and my fuge light.

The fuge light bracket needed to be flipped so that the light would run down the back of the AC70. To do this I had to file down the catch on the bracket so I could reverse it. Came out better than expected.

This is how I needed the bracket to go on.

sX8afjml.jpg

So I filed and filed...

J5IUWUNl.jpg

Yahtzee!

rSBjYm2l.jpg

Here is what it'll look like.

TLIVZC3l.jpg

FF9EBHsl.jpg

I haven't updated in awhile.

I made the mistake of using latex paint to paint the background. After 3 coats it would get cracks and keep producing holes.

Pealed off the paint (really satisfying).

Went to the craft store and got acrylic. Works perfect. So well in fact that I painted the bottom... Just in case.

I also painted the AC70 black except for a small portion of the back where the fuge light will go.

I went to TAP plastics and had them cut me a piece of acrylic to cover my tank.

They wanted another $40 to drill slots in it to keep it cool so I decided to do it myself. Huge PITA. The point its at now should be more than enough plus I'm adding feet to the top to give it a gap.

I'll keep an eye on the heat.

I also picked up some scrap black abs. I figured I'd find something to do with it. Sure enough I decided to make my own corner surface skimmer for my AC70. I really hope it works out.

I got my dremel back from my buddy so I was able to make really good progress on it.

What else?.... I think that's it.

I've made the choice that I will need an RO/DI unit to control my water changes and top offs. I was going to buy the 5 gallon ocean water things from Petco but that is a pain. I also made the choice to get an apex lite and I have a pretty good idea how I'd keep it contained with all the modules while still not an eye sore. Just waiting for the vendor to get back to me before I purchase.

Looks like I'm at least a few weeks out before getting it wet. I don't want to rush this build and I'd like to do it right.

Enough talking... Pics...

Files are too big :-/ I'll post from my computer in like 15min.

I haven't updated in awhile.

I made the mistake of using latex paint to paint the background. After 3 coats it would get cracks and keep producing holes.

Pealed off the paint (really satisfying).

Went to the craft store and got acrylic. Works perfect. So well in fact that I painted the bottom... Just in case.

I also painted the AC70 black except for a small portion of the back where the fuge light will go.

I went to TAP plastics and had them cut me a piece of acrylic to cover my tank.

They wanted another $40 to drill slots in it to keep it cool so I decided to do it myself. Huge PITA. The point its at now should be more than enough plus I'm adding feet to the top to give it a gap.

I'll keep an eye on the heat.

I also picked up some scrap black abs. I figured I'd find something to do with it. Sure enough I decided to make my own corner surface skimmer for my AC70. I really hope it works out.

I got my dremel back from my buddy so I was able to make really good progress on it.

What else?.... I think that's it.

I've made the choice that I will need an RO/DI unit to control my water changes and top offs. I was going to buy the 5 gallon ocean water things from Petco but that is a pain. I also made the choice to get an apex lite and I have a pretty good idea how I'd keep it contained with all the modules while still not an eye sore. Just waiting for the vendor to get back to me before I purchase.

Looks like I'm at least a few weeks out before getting it wet. I don't want to rush this build and I'd like to do it right.

Enough talking... Pics...

Files are too big :-/ I'll post from my computer in like 15min.

If the acrylic gives you any issues and you can get it off, try plastidip. It's easily removable if ever need be aswell.

RO/DI unit is the single best investment I have made as far as not being annoyed having to get water weekly for topoffs or changes. good call it gets old fast.

Pics!

usLV6f6l.jpg

Start Small

upJ4VZVl.jpg

Are we done yet??!!

R42rMIbl.jpg

It's good enough. It's the flippin top of the tank to keep cats out and fish in.

l7waCLhl.jpg

Doing some measurements with the black ABS.

QmZ37hcl.jpg

This little scoring tool was a great purchase. makes cutting acrylic and ABS a breeze.

3mQZIxzl.jpg

Painting the bottom

wZBA1lql.jpg

The $2 paint

kSDJcx1l.jpg

Black background and AC70 on back and Kessil on the side.

RxavA2Yl.jpg

First go at the overflow. (without dremel)

TzaJIC3l.jpg

Looked like sh!t.

cEa1kgQl.jpg

You can see the overflow in there now. this is the point where I decided I wanted it in the tank and to spend more time on it.

czmgFoCl.jpg

DREMEL!! First thing I did was cut off those bad notches.

VEznJOYl.jpg

Looking better.

aj8pkO1l.jpg

Squared up the bottom

b2EtM8Jl.jpg

I filed down the notches to get the most uniformity I could and make it look as clean as possible.

Thoughts?

HPZ7VyHl.jpg

I6CRW4Cl.jpg

I may even need to make the notches longer depending on how it sits in the tank. still a work in progress most likely.

To buy list:

Apex Lite

RO/DI

Salt

Heater & pump for salt mixing container.

Container to mix salt :)

Thanks for looking.

If the acrylic gives you any issues and you can get it off, try plastidip. It's easily removable if ever need be aswell.

RO/DI unit is the single best investment I have made as far as not being annoyed having to get water weekly for topoffs or changes. good call it gets old fast.

You are not the first person to suggest plasti-dip. almost pulled the trigger at tap plastics but wanted to try painting first.

You're late. :)

Lazy Sunday.

Got another quick update on a project I started while I wait for more things to be delivered and my bank account to not be empty.

I found some scrap clear acrylic in my garage so I decided to try and make a top down viewing box that I could put my Nexus 5 in and take pics.

Here is what I got done last night.

Personal note: Really enjoying working with acrylic. I think I'll end up making some more things... like an ATO reservoir, maybe a controller box. who knows.

Marked up the size of my phone and added a lil bit on either side to grab it.

JT7sIiMl.jpg

It's got some scuffs in it but it'll work.

0wIxxKJl.jpg

sides

mXOYLB6l.jpg

Rough finished. Not what final will look like haha.

WMBQQfTl.jpg.

control bubbles. obstructed view of item under water

L3j4hDjl.jpg

Box on water unobstructed view of item

miM4ReZl.jpg

Phone in box pic, considering it was only 2-3" from the box I think it turned out rather well.

tVbluHUl.jpg

Waiting on delivery of RO/DI unit, pump, heater and salt.

I really want a Apex, they discontinued the Lite and the full version is $500. I want the full version but I may end up waiting for a used one on the forums or craigslist.

Thanks for looking.

Alrighty then... still waiting for shipment so I thought I'd jump on something I wanted to try.

The tank sits on the mantle which doesn't allow the tank to stand out much. Put the p***y on a pedestal.

****I NEED YOUR OPINION ON THIS*****

In this case I took a chuck of IKEA counter top I had left over from my desk build and thought I'd see how that looked.

Here is the piece of wood.

NasI2iPl.jpg

It's meant to be a kitchen counter... the wood is very very dense.

I gave it an inch all around to maybe do something fancy on the edges and leave some room for error.

trace it out

OLJu62dl.jpg

Lined up the rough cut with the dremel so it was easier to guide my power saw thingy [technical term].

NrnMKWrl.jpg

Got as close as I could with the saw... too close in some spots.

IGaomcdl.jpg

Instagram intermission.

4DvApExl.jpg

Then I sanded, and sanded, and sanded.... did I mention this wood was dense?

tX6l3YUl.jpg

Threw a little teak oil on it to see how it looked el natural.

NXPv0erl.jpg

OEofvuDl.jpg

Can you picture it under my tank on the mantle or do you need a pic of that to give me your opinion?

yQkKaUdl.jpg

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.

How about an update and picture dump?

I can not stop DIY'n sh!t!

It might be a problem.

*****DISCLAIMER*****

I've never built something like this before so please be kind with your woodworking bashing :)

okay... so I made a nice solid stand for the tank to be raised up higher off the mantle.

Was this good enough... yes... was I satisfied... of course not.

Enter... wood.

TtVADTHl.jpg

nXYYS80l.jpg

My thought process was to make a single drawer under the tank for misc SW ish.

I got some nice solid oak for the frame and just kind of winged it.

First I made the bottom of the drawer.

v60wwt7l.jpg

ipdWT85l.jpg

Bought some new tools in the process. why not right?

So I was looking at the structure.... mulling over the weight and if I would need a center brace for ensure the whole thing would support the tank.

This is me seeing what it would look like with 2 drawers vs 1.

A3ABNJal.jpg

ripgvtfl.jpg

during this process I was working on a make-shift work bench and kept hitting crap with the longer pieces of wood. This has been an ongoing struggle.

By pure chance... maybe it was a sign.... I passed a harbor freight on the way to salwater city... cha-ching$$

sYLFQf6l.jpg

SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!!

v55jiqrl.jpg

Still working out some space issues.

yNLXKaTl.jpg

Now, back to the drawers.... finally able to make some progress.

l9Dh0TWl.jpg

dzZUdVWl.jpg

Trying to keep the sides at a right angle.

worked for the most part.

kOtpwt0l.jpg

As you can see I kept the bow design to the drawers as well.

Where I'm at now is that the drawers are complete except for the face... which is soaking in the tub. :)

I plan to bend this around the frame to the arch of the drawers, let it dry in that position then cut to create the face. Should work??!.

8mGsbdpl.jpg

I'm getting really restless about getting water into the tank. each day I am trying to convince myself to wait for everything then do it proper. I'm sure the roommate is getting sick of all this DIY crap around the place too. :)

Thanks for looking.

Well, so far so good.

t14JV9Dl.jpg

tIqwyvsl.jpg

YOwZKLKl.jpg

cTi0wfMl.jpg

uEZ6ax7l.jpg

ktJ87xul.jpg

Here is the almost completed drawers waiting on the oak face that's being bent.

U12kl9Cl.jpg

euZW8yEl.jpg

oLAdaltl.jpg

Oh and got my peg board filled up :)

EmpBLygl.jpg

Made this little blocks that I might use.... just to keep things sturdy... may be overkill.

HmCfUoyl.jpg

like so

gAqldxKl.jpg

Now I need some input on the next post.

I have 3 different types of wood I'm using.

1. the dense counter the is just below the tank.
  2. the thin paneling that is used for the drawers and the bottom
  3. the oak which is used for the front of the drawers and supports.

I have two ways I want to do this.

Black cherry stain

or

Teak oil

Below are the 3 types of wood with each stain on them.

the triangle piece is #1

the large panel is #2

The small block is the oak #3

Let me know what combo you like best.

Thanks.

PICS

4PQ35UWl.jpg

TjxcBKql.jpg

r9btUCfl.jpg

R7h2SDUl.jpg

vLzsf3Pl.jpg

yZYFrDEl.jpg

qWMdulMl.jpg

g5HxICal.jpg

IewT9MHl.jpg

9Ii44ntl.jpg

7OS40ipl.jpg

The end gran will be shown most on this piece

Y2CzXPsl.jpg

oh ya, any input on the stains?

man you are goin all out on the DIY! I am seriously impressed, cant wait to see the finished product!

+1. I wish I had your wood working skills

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it. But don't worry, there is still time for me to f it up :)

whats the purpose of changing out the the outlet?

Great question.

A GFCI will cut the power at the outlet if there is an imbalance of electricity.

Usually a surge. This could save your life.

It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

Your apartment looks like one of the properties my company manages lol. Build is looking good your woodworking skills are impressive. pm me if your looking for good starter corals. You may want to look into a battery back up for your tank cuz if you trip the gfi the power wont kick back on untill its been reset.

Your apartment looks like one of the properties my company manages lol. Build is looking good your woodworking skills are impressive. pm me if your looking for good starter corals. You may want to look into a battery back up for your tank cuz if you trip the gfi the power wont kick back on untill its been reset.

It's a cookie cutter townhouse. haha. RPA?

I'm looking at a controller so I'll know when it trips but a battery backup is a good idea.

thanks for the offer on the corals. You going to the frag swap on 2/15?

Looks like an apartment complex in Bellevue called limestone.

I had a reef on a mantel once bad idea

1) if you turn on fire place temp swing is not good for tank

2) water changes and tank maintenance was a pita due to hight of tank from ground

Never been to frag swap before hoping to this year for first time.

I have a few palys and zoas to frag ill give you to start let me know when your cycled!!!

Looks like an apartment complex in Bellevue called limestone. I had a reef on a mantel once bad idea 1) if you turn on fire place temp swing is not good for tank 2) water changes and tank maintenance was a pita due to hight of tank from ground Never been to frag swap before hoping to this year for first time. I have a few palys and zoas to frag ill give you to start let me know when your cycled!!!

Ah, I'm on the westside. I am worried about the fireplace heat but it doesn't seem that bad a few inches back from the front of the mantle.

What size tank did you have on your mantle?

This would be my first frag swap too. I don't think my tank will be ready by then which would be good on my bank account. :)

Your tank should be ready by then. depends how much longer you wait to start you cycle. Need any advice let me know.

I'd test the fire place out and get a thermometer and put it right where the tank would sit and see how much the temp changes. Anything over 10 can cause issues with tank and equipment.

Archived