SaltCritters.com

MR.FEESH’s Biological Filtration NC6

MR.FEESH

Algae utilize ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as 'food'. I remember reading in an article that ammonia is actually preferred by algae since it takes less energy to utilize.

Aaaah, I did not know this. I thought ammonia was toxic to everything.

Thanks for sharing the info! :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In larger doses, it surely can be, especially to animals. Algae are a different story...they're tough!

I love it that the algaes take up ammonia. Do you know if macroalgae is as resilient to ammonia and use it up too? I love macros and this would give even more reason to add more to my tanks! :lol:

Mr.Feesh, You may have to do some manual scrubbing of those rocks like I did when I first cycled. If you cannot put a CUC in there yet the algae may get a strong foot hold and be difficult to eliminate later. I scrubbed my rocks in newly mixed saltwater ( not to kill the bacteria we are trying to establish). There was still plenty of algae growth for the CUC when the time came to get them.

Good luck!

I love it that the algaes take up ammonia. Do you know if macroalgae is as resilient to ammonia and use it up too? I love macros and this would give even more reason to add more to my tanks! :lol:

Mr.Feesh, You may have to do some manual scrubbing of those rocks like I did when I first cycled. If you cannot put a CUC in there yet the algae may get a strong foot hold and be difficult to eliminate later. I scrubbed my rocks in newly mixed saltwater ( not to kill the bacteria we are trying to establish). There was still plenty of algae growth for the CUC when the time came to get them.

Good luck!

I was thinking I might to that...the rock closest to the lights is completely overgrown with the stuff. The other thing that came to mind is to continue the cycle but with the lights off...I know some people do that but I can't recall reading anything specifically that details how it affects the cycle if at all.

I was thinking I might to that...the rock closest to the lights is completely overgrown with the stuff. The other thing that came to mind is to continue the cycle but with the lights off...I know some people do that but I can't recall reading anything specifically that details how it affects the cycle if at all.

Yes, I had to reduce my lights to four hours a day at the most. I liked the lights on so much I left them on all day when I was first cycling the tank. :happy:

Well, the tank has just passed the two week mark in its "cycle" process. No sign of any chemical changes regarding the nitrogen cycle. I definitely picked some stubborn rock :) I'll give it another week or two and if still nothing has changed, I'll start to slowly add stuff.

As of now it looks like the first additions will be chaeto to combat that nasty GHA, and some snails/scarlets. After they settle for a few days, I suppose it really doesn't matter when or in what combo I add everything else (save the gorg and corals). Maiden's hair, porcelain crabs, fans worms, a sponge--all very hardy, easy to keep critters with not too many requirements. I imagine I'd add all those guys and give it a solid 3 weeks before adding some softies or a gorg.

Dicking around...I really ought to learn how to use Windows Movie Maker now that I have a DSLR with video. I made this as a test of my camera/youtube profile in about 10-15 seconds just to make sure things work once I have more time. Nuisance algae & Jonsi haha

A little afternoon ambient sun shot in my room as my tank continues to "cycle" with the lights off.

3oDlhu8.jpg

Speaking of the "cycle", nothing has happened. Getting close to three weeks now since I added the rock. I was able to take out the top rock on the big island today and scrub most of the aglae off it, so maybe I'll see some sort of little spike due to messing around with that. If there's still nothing going on by next weekend, I'm just going to start adding stuff. It's not like any of the critters on my stocking list are crazy difficult anyway.

Just ran A-N-N tests now that the water has cleared after the algae scrub and moving the rocks a little. Other than the same little nitrate that's been there since day 2, nada.

So I'm starting to make preparations for my first additions to the tank, and I'm really surprised at Liveaquaria.com. I had used this vendor in the past (four years ago) when the tank was in its first ever iteration of being set up. I can understand something like Maiden's Hair not being in stock. It's not very popular whatsoever. But the other critters I was going to get there are scarlet hermit crabs and chaeto. Both say "email me when in stock"...what?! Everyone needs a clean up crew, I'm really surprised something like scarlets could even have the potential of not being continuously stocked. And chaeto? Grows like a weed, but not in stock? Not disappointed per se, just a little shocked is all. If I don't get a notification this week, I'll have no choice but to find another vendor. I was looking at Thatfishplace for the porcelain crabs and sponge, but maybe I'll just get everything from there. Wish there was a decent LFS in DC...closest place is in Rockville, MD and I don't have a car (because I live in the city), so it's not really a feasible option to just pick up locally. We shall see...

So the tank is nearing its one month mark of the cycle. I've been away and busy so I haven't been testing regularly but I just ran a test now and I think I'm finally ready to start adding stuff.

NH3: 0

N02: 0

N03: 2-5

Chaeto is really the only thing I was planning to include in my LiveAquaria order of the first critters that they don't currently have in stock, so I'll probably place an order from ReefCleaners for some chaeto and pods. The LiveAquaria order will be ceriths, scarlets, and fan worms. They also don't have any small Maiden's Hair plants in stock, but that's mostly ornamental so it's not a big deal. That should do it for the first additions--porcelain crabs, a sponge, and some gorgs will be round 2 in a week or two of stability. Round 3, coral. Pretty simple.

Looking at as big a water change my pre-mixed water will allow for tonight, and placing some orders tomorrow. Very excited!

Well the colors are all wonky because I snapped a quick pic on an iPhone, but the tank is now live--first additions!

Yellow & pink dwarf feather dusters, and one normal sized duster. Everyone seems to be alive and well. Hermits, snails, and chaeto come tomorrow!

IxFRbIF.jpg

CUC and pods came in today from ReefCleaners. The chaeto didn't for some reason though, so I dropped John at RC a note...hopefully will have it soon!

CUC and pods came in today from ReefCleaners. The chaeto didn't for some reason though, so I dropped John at RC a note...hopefully will have it soon!

Gotta have that chaeto! Mine is growing wild. I love that it harbors so many pods and stomatellas. :)

I leave for a few hours and of course, upon my return, the scarlets have knocked two out of the three feather dusters off their perches. Classic scarlets. I don't know why I didn't anticipate this happening. *breaks out the super glue*

I'll be damned. I put one scarlet on 'small island' before bed because it was covered in bryopsis. I figured maybe he'd graze a little bit if he was feeling well acclimated. The island is completely clean this morning. Spotless. Hot damn.

Archived