Coral Vue Hydros

MR.FEESH’s Biological Filtration NC6

MR.FEESH

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always try doing a freshwater dip as well on the zoas. I have done it on numerous occasions and it has always worked wonders for me. Good luck with your dipping :).

Looks like the iodine dip definitely helped. The other colonies aren't too happy still, but hopefully everyone will be on track after a few days of Furan-2 which starts tomorrow!

ewj7hNT.jpg

TmheiUz.jpg

Nano sapiens

Zoanthids can be quite delicate, especially in a relatively new tank. I had some nice colonies that were eaten by the supposedly 'harmless'' hunch-back Amphipods. I wouldn't doubt if they also spread Zoa Pox, but that hypothesis is untested.

Good luck with the dips and hopefully they'll all recover nicely.

Furan-2 time!

Ucmembg.jpg

I went with one packet per cup after reading all sorts of estimates. Took two cups of tank water to cover the frags

Step 1) soak for 20 minutes

Step 2) read about carcinogenic nature of Furan-2 chemicals

Step 3) rock back and forth in fetal position

Step 4) rinse frags with freshly mixed salt water before adding to tank

Step 5) repeat for 3-4 days

Cross your fingers for me Nano-Reef users. These poor zoas will have been to hell and back by the time its all said and done. I could really use some luck :(

So today's dip was the third time which is what most people recommended. I'm going to dip one final time tomorrow. I haven't lost any heads and have no indication that the dips are negatively affecting the polyps in any way. I'd rather be safe than sorry regarding killing this bacteria. I'll report back no later than a week from tomorrow with a conclusion--or as soon as the coral appears happy/healthy.

Well from what I can tell, the zoapox is gone, which implies that the furan-2 worked. I sadly cannot report that the zoas themselves look any happier, however. I suppose it's possible almost a week of straight dips really stressed them out and that they're slowly recovering. OVerall, I'm feeling pretty discouraged. Everything else seems fine so I'm trying to keep a positive outlook on the tank as a whole. I think I'll either go with a gorgonian or some easy SPS next (motni digitata or birdsnest)--but that won't be for a little while still. I've been having temperature stability issues since it's getting colder out where I am. Thus my next purchase will be a RKL. I need to get temps stable before adding my first SPS.

Zoas can be difficult, so don't feel too bad. Montipora and Leptastrea are good stony coral choices for a Nano tank due to lack of sweeper tentacles.

They look healthy enough now, IMO, but irritated with something. Do they open and then partially close like something hits them, or do they stay partially closed?

They look healthy enough now, IMO, but irritated with something. Do they open and then partially close like something hits them, or do they stay partially closed?

Definitely my interpretation too. Although, given all the dips and moving them around so much within the tank's scape, it could be possible that they're stressed out rather than irritated and a little time will help them out. I haven't seen any melting nor loss of polyps which I take as a good sign despite them looking rather annoyed about something.

Wow another amazing tank that I've somehow missed! Those are some really outstanding photos too!

Thanks! I've hit a little speed bump but hope to be back on track soon.

• 1 month later...

So with the help of a friend, I'm actually going to take my tank down. I'm not too sad about it because it's great that my coral and inverts get to go to a new home instead of a trashcan (which I'd never do, but I'm sure a lot of people do when the leave the hobby). Truth be told, things are actually going pretty well in the tank! Huge amount of growth and everyone is happy and healthy. However, it's really getting to me having to look at the tank every day after work, and slowly and painfully reminding myself that things really aren't how I wanted them to be when I envisioned my tank in my head. I know how to proceed better for next time, and will definitely start this tank or a new tank up again once I know I'm going to be in the same place for over a year. Essentially what the problem boils down to is: to make the changes necessary to get the tank where I want it to be requires a big investment (which is fine and I can totally handle from a personal finance point of view), however I'm not sure that investment of time, effort, and money, is the best idea because I would have to tear down whatever progress I've made when I move out of the house I'm renting in about 6 months. I definitely don't consider the project a failure and I'm really glad I did it overall, but I'm also looking forward to altering my plans down the road with this experience under my belt so I can do things bigger and better. (Or, at least just better). This was a great learning opportunity that I'm really happy turned out very well, and I highly encourage people to try a simplistic, minimalist, biological filtration set-up.

To be continued!

I was hoping to see this progress over a few years, but the tear-down is understandable if you aren't settled, yet. Good that you enjoyed the tank experience while it was up :)

I was hoping to see this progress over a few years, but the tear-down is understandable if you aren't settled, yet. Good that you enjoyed the tank experience while it was up :)

Yeah...just graduated college in spring and am still living in the house I lived in my junior and senior year of school. Once I get my own *real* digs, things will be different. I'd love nothing more than to actually experience the year-to-year progression I see a lot on this site. Even if that won't truly happen until I have a wife/kids/house, I'm still excited for it.

Clarinet_Reefer

An end is merely a beginning in disguise.

This tank has been an inspiration to me and I cannot wait to see what you plan and build next.

Archived