Cultivated Reef

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

First time to reefwise??? IMO blows beyond the reef outta the water. Brian is awesome and his business is top notch and he stands behind everything. His selection of coral is normally nuts and just to much to look at, I can't go in there without leaving with something.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time to reefwise??? IMO blows beyond the reef outta the water. Brian is awesome and his business is top notch and he stands behind everything. His selection of coral is normally nuts and just to much to look at, I can't go in there without leaving with something.

i agree. reefwise > beyond the reef. but beyond the reef has improved immensely in the last year, way more equipment/foods/additives.

i could have easily spent way too much at reefwise though. the coral selection is 1000x better than beyond the reef and advanced aquatics.

lemme know if you ever want to meet up at reefwise/BTR/AA or something. there's a lot of local reefers that i haven't met/traded with yet. i need to start doing that soon. :P

jedimasterben

i don't trust online that much anymore either, i bought 5 coral (2 colonies, 3 frags) off of LA, and lost both colonies and 1 frag. i don't think i'll buy from them again anytime soon. I dk if it was my fault or not, but they just melted over time...

Out of the three fish orders I've had from LA, not only did one have the completely wrong fish, but the only fish that has survived was my rabbitfish, and 2/3 of the orders have come from Diver's Den.

i agree. reefwise > beyond the reef. but beyond the reef has improved immensely in the last year, way more equipment/foods/additives.

i could have easily spent way too much at reefwise though. the coral selection is 1000x better than beyond the reef and advanced aquatics.

lemme know if you ever want to meet up at reefwise/BTR/AA or something. there's a lot of local reefers that i haven't met/traded with yet. i need to start doing that soon. :P

Yea BTR has improved a lot, reefwise is my only go to spot now, I'll hit you up before my next visit to reefwise.

Out of the three fish orders I've had from LA, not only did one have the completely wrong fish, but the only fish that has survived was my rabbitfish, and 2/3 of the orders have come from Diver's Den.

i'm kinda glad it's not just me... i doubt i'll even from LA again.

Yea BTR has improved a lot, reefwise is my only go to spot now, I'll hit you up before my next visit to reefwise.

awesome. i go to school in naperville so buzzing there after class/practice could be manageable.

Nice scores...you try peroxide yet on algae?

i have been dipping the frag plugs that get overrun with it. but the stuff that gets stuck on the egg crate i siphon out every water change.

it's been getting better slowly. i don't have a lot of micro algae, just this awful turf algae and random caulerpa racemosa.

TheKleinReef

while the frag tank is being fixed and/or replaced here's the temporary setup:

anemones and soft corals are in here:
right now i cut of 3" of the frag tank, re-cemented the split panel, and making new eurobraces.
return lines will now be going through the panel wall versus over the wall. 29G will be permanently plumbed in for soft coral and anemones grow out and propagation (lower lighting requirements)
TheKleinReef

repairing the frag tank. i cut 2" off the tank, which should drop the water level down to about 8" (compared to 10" before). i also drilled holes in the back wall for the return lines. i plan on screwing the lockline into the bulkheads. i'm also debating on painting the back wall, standpipes, and bottom black. but this tank wasn't really built for aesthetics.

to do:

add eurobraces.

(paint)?

test fill

re-plumb

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/972CFE26-6F26-487C-BC46-9F5AD79D7E22.jpg.html'>972CFE26-6F26-487C-BC46-9F5AD79D7E22.jpg

i still need to clean up some algae before i start it back up again.

TheKleinReef

Right on still everything is coming along nice!

thanks. i go back to school tomorrow so the frag tank set up will either be done tomorrow, or put on hold until i come home one day.

Those plugs need some peroxide, stat!

it's the eggcrate. not the plugs. i can't get rid of that algae. i don't have micro algae, just this nasty turf algae that keeps coming back.

jedimasterben

it's the eggcrate. not the plugs. i can't get rid of that algae. i don't have micro algae, just this nasty turf algae that keeps coming back.

Those plugs That eggcrate need some peroxide, stat!

:D

I need some of that ora red planet son

gemme a couple months. or go to reefwise. they had like 10 frags when i went a few weeks back. they may still have some. plus they just got a shipment of ORA's shortcake coral. :D

Archived