Top Shelf Aquatics

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

but i've read horror stories of people dosing sugar and having a nasty cyano outbreak.

Any carbon source can cause a cyano outbreak. If you get one with Pappone, stop dosing/feeding (What term do we use with this stuff?) and either wait for it to go away or siphon it out and add some GFO for a few days. As quick as it comes on, it goes away (when dosing stuff like this).

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Any carbon source can cause a cyano outbreak. If you get one with Pappone, stop dosing/feeding (What term do we use with this stuff?) and either wait for it to go away or siphon it out and add some GFO for a few days. As quick as it comes on, it goes away (when dosing stuff like this).

then i don't see the point in adding sugar?

then i don't see the point in adding sugar?

Im not sure why its in there, but thats the recipe so id follow it if your going to try it.

jedimasterben

I would leave the sugar in. It is minutely small in comparison to the amount you normally add when carbon dosing (which can be several teaspoons daily, vs 1Tbsp for 50-100 feedings). If you get a cyano outbreak, it will not be from that, I guarantee it. People that have those outbreaks have something out of balance - algae is the best indicator of nutrients that there is.

TheKleinReef

I would leave the sugar in. It is minutely small in comparison to the amount you normally add when carbon dosing (which can be several teaspoons daily, vs 1Tbsp for 50-100 feedings). If you get a cyano outbreak, it will not be from that, I guarantee it. People that have those outbreaks have something out of balance - algae is the best indicator of nutrients that there is.

i'm super paranoid about adding a carbon source, small or large amounts. but if you think it won't cause any problems, i guess i'll leave it in. i can't seem to find why the sugar is in the recipe. is it to help manage all of the nutrients i'm adding by fueling bacteria? or add an additional carbon source for coral as well?

I dont think that quantity would qualify as a "carbon source" like we think of it. At that concentration, its just food. My $0.02 after reading that thread.

jedimasterben

i'm super paranoid about adding a carbon source, small or large amounts. but if you think it won't cause any problems, i guess i'll leave it in. i can't seem to find why the sugar is in the recipe. is it to help manage all of the nutrients i'm adding by fueling bacteria? or add an additional carbon source for coral as well?

Carbon is your friend. Sugar is there to increase bacterial activity. Corals can eat bacterial films, too, so it's all around good.

TheKleinReef

Update:

Made the stand taller, i'm gonna have the sump underneath now.

3AFD9404-CCB0-4D17-8FA0-DBBD52EB381C-211

drilled the sukka:

479617D7-84F2-4F9E-AA93-A4B8B12C1FDC-211

finished the overflow box and dursos:

D0A4F303-25D3-4F45-B9ED-5FB65986AB5F-211

next steps:

• sump: berlin style (had the perfect one at my LFS, tempted to just get it)
  • return pump: blue line 40-HD-X
  • skimmer: reef dynamics or reef octopus
  • heaters
  • doser
TheKleinReef

I approve of this progress. Where did you get your loc line fittings?

my lfs has a wall of fittings. haha pretty cool. not sure if i'm gonna stay with 2 duck bills and 2 nozzles, or go with 4 duck bills. i'll see how the flow in the tank is first

Your very lucky that you have a LFS with fittings! Also your OP has two "Directories", it looks like the one of the bottom of the post could be removed.

TheKleinReef

Your very lucky that you have a LFS with fittings! Also your OP has two "Directories", it looks like the one of the bottom of the post could be removed.

Thanks. I will fix that now. :)

Over flow looks nice as well as the tank and stand. Keep it up man

Thank you. Just need to paint the plumbing all black. And seal the stand. Should be easy.

TheKleinReef

they look like a blend of ASM and EuroReef. Both good skimmers. Ive never heard of them before now though.

i love my asm g-1 so if it performs anything like it i'd be happyy. i'm gonna do a bit more digging on this though.

TheKleinReef

OliHave you seen the sc 302 ebay skimmer? Solid reviews, great price. Not sure if you will think its big enough.

haha go big or go home. since i just did the math the total system volume should be right around 75 gallons. so a skimmer rated for 150-200 will suit my needs. but a 300g one would just give me some piece of mind.

aside from the skimmer!

SUMP'S IN!

Drain lines:

IMG_2085.jpgIMG_2084.jpg

Return PumP (Blue Line 1270gph)

IMG_2087.jpg

whole set up getting filled!

IMG_2088.jpg

Once day I hope to have the room (and the money) to have a tank like this. You have done everything pretty much exactly as I would haha.

TheKleinReef

No but I am a guru when it comes to those sunpods. Are they still noisey?

awfully loud...

Once day I hope to have the room (and the money) to have a tank like this. You have done everything pretty much exactly as I would haha.

thanks! this is my dream tank so i hope it lasts for many years to come. (:

Roger this looks so amazing.

thank you very much!

Not sure if the fixture has fans in the 250 but I know the ballast do. Marine Depot is the only place I could find current replacement fans for the fixture. They are pretty easy to replace. The fixture doesn't really need fans since the ballast are external. But current built in a over heat shut off in the fixture. So you either have to by pass it or replace the fans if one goes out. If you need a link or any questions shoot me a pm. You think that light will have to be hung since it is a 250? Awful close to the water. My 150 MH is 18 inches from the sandbed and it melts some palys unless I shade them.

Forgot to say it looks awesome. Glad to see your pops involved. I sure miss mine.

Archived