Cultivated Reef

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

eddiecorrea

LOUD. LOUD. LOUD.

Lowes or Home Depot have rubber bushing with holes in them. You put them in between the stand and the pump to transfer the vibration and noise into the rubber. Should cut down on noise significantly.

RUBBER-BUSHING-75180.GIF

Did I miss how you made the overflow and such? You have a CNC machine or something?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Did I miss how you made the overflow and such? You have a CNC machine or something?

nope, just a lot of time and a table saw. @_@ quite a time consuming process.

eddiecorrea

Wow. But it does look really good. Pain in the ass though haha.

TheKleinReef

Wow. But it does look really good. Pain in the ass though haha.

i was planning on using a router, but i didn't have a bit small enough or a jig. so i decided to just inch the panels over to cut the groves.

Can you post a close-up of the overflow teeth and explain how you cut them? I've been considering doing this soon, and I'm not sure how to pull it off. Thanks.

TheKleinReef

Can you post a close-up of the overflow teeth and explain how you cut them? I've been considering doing this soon, and I'm not sure how to pull it off. Thanks.

22A489A8-E175-48DE-8869-AB15AB45A114-379

i basically wanted the holes to be 1/8 inch, and spaced evenly apart at 1/8 as well. i measured where the grove would start and end, then ran it through a table saw that cut a 3/4" slot right where the edge of the grove would be. then i moved it over slightly until the last pass was the other edge of the grove. it took about 3-4 passes to get 1 grove done.

i hope that made sense...

jedimasterben

Lots of Live rock in the sump should do it i imagine. With such a low bioload I don't expect to need a huge amount of liverock.

I would skip the live rock and just use some SEachem biomedia.

TheKleinReef

I thought about using those porus media ball things. Like the ones from bill reef supply. I just have 20 pounds of live rock that need to move somewhere else. That's why I went that route. Maybe in the future I can incorporate the seachem media or something similar. I'm just trying to keepthe cost down i til i get the frags growing. Thanks for the tip though. I didn't even know seachem made their own media.

I could be wrong, but i remember reading or being told that the Matrix media loses its effectiveness as a bacterial medium over time and needs to be replaced.

Have you seen a system that totally replaced live rock with it? Long term?

TheKleinReef

How tall?

12"

I could be wrong, but i remember reading or being told that the Matrix media loses its effectiveness as a bacterial medium over time and needs to be replaced.

i'd like to know this as well....

jedimasterben

As bacteria die, their mass stays in place and breaks down, but the bacteria next to it replace it and push it out. It will, eventually, get clogged with detritus and debris that the bacteria can't remove or break down, and the media will need to be rinsed thoroughly, but I don't know what kind of time frame that is. Live rock goes through the same thing, though, if flow is insufficient.

As bacteria die, their mass stays in place and breaks down, but the bacteria next to it replace it and push it out. It will, eventually, get clogged with detritus and debris that the bacteria can't remove or break down, and the media will need to be rinsed thoroughly, but I don't know what kind of time frame that is. Live rock goes through the same thing, though, if flow is insufficient.

Seachems Matrix is some bad ass stuff no doubt, but i think its MUCH more porous than LR is, which seems like it would "clog" up much more quickly than LR.

I dont know. All of this is just from what i was told by a buddy who works at a seachem platinum dealer (and went to their 3 day training). Id be very interested in using Matrix as a LR replacement in a frag system, but how expensive would the long term use be and also determining when is the optimal time to replace would be tricky...IE what markers would signal its past due or ready for replacement?

TheKleinReef

Seachems Matrix is some bad ass stuff no doubt, but i think its MUCH more porous than LR is, which seems like it would "clog" up much more quickly than LR.

I dont know. All of this is just from what i was told by a buddy who works at a seachem platinum dealer (and went to their 3 day training). Id be very interested in using Matrix as a LR replacement in a frag system, but how expensive would the long term use be and also determining when is the optimal time to replace would be tricky...IE what markers would signal its past due or ready for replacement?

i know media such as siporax is used similar to this bio-media stuff. and i've been reading as long as its in good flow, and you shake it out once a week it works wonders. i wonder if the seachem matrix would benefit from the same type of maintenance plan. or i should just order siporax...

jedimasterben

i know media such as siporax is used similar to this bio-media stuff. and i've been reading as long as its in good flow, and you shake it out once a week it works wonders. i wonder if the seachem matrix would benefit from the same type of maintenance plan. or i should just order siporax...

Brad (Deckoz2302) used to run a denitrator, basically an ultra-slow reactor full of Seachem deNitrate, and he shook it once a week and it kept nitrate very low. He is going a different direction in his bigger tank (just trying new stuff), but it works.

TheKleinReef

No bulbs yet..... ugh, right now i'm using my old led strips and the ai nano to light about 2/3 of the tank, hopefully the bulbs will be here within the week.

I put some LR in there 2 weeks ago. tested the water today, everything is perfect so i went ahead and moved my entire 10g (except the sand) into the 60g. I also moved some corals from the 29 over because they were taking up too much room.

on another note, i have to order a euro brace because the tank is bowing 5/16th of an inch.... in the mean time i have 2 pipe clamps keeping the front and back panels straight.... its horrendous looking. hah here's some pics for viewing pleasure...

i hate this stupid tree coral....

IMG_2145.jpg

ugly looking lighting set up...

IMG_2146.jpg

new plate

IMG_2147.jpg

long ways shot. ugly ai wire in the background

IMG_2148.jpg

bad pic of parker in his new home

IMG_2149.jpg

bad pic of alfred in his new home

IMG_2150.jpg

I have a problem...

Twitch, my tomnin tang, who is currently a resident in my 29g out grew that tank. and now i'm trying to figure out the best way to catch him and put him in his new home (the 60g). i'd rather not destroy my brand new aquascape, so that'll be a last resort. what's the best way to get him out?

TheKleinReef

Well the plate looks plenty happy :) Nice stock so far - keep us updated when the new lights come in and good luck getting that tang out!

will do. thanks! but getting the tang out is going to be an adventure....

For the tang, drain the tank as far as you can get it drained (all the way will work if you can) then catching it should be easier.

The frag tank looks very nice, dont worry about the details yet...you will have plenty of time to iron everything out. Its up and running!

TheKleinReef

Heck, just drain the entire tank and grab the fish with your hands. :)

i'm trying to avoid p***ing literally everything off. hah i may rip out the right side scape, that should give me some room to get a net or 2 in there.

Archived