SaltCritters.com

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix 14 K's are amazing for MH bulbs arent they? Its what im trying to emulate with my LED's. Tanks looking good!

glennr1978
Phoenix 14 K's are amazing for MH bulbs arent they? Its what im trying to emulate with my LED's. Tanks looking good!

If you like phoenix, you would love radiums! At this point still the best reef lighting available, imo. I don't mind the $$$ for bulb replacement and electric bills lol.

jedimasterben

The Radium, when run on a proper HQI ballast, looks absolutely stellar... second to one of my arrays ;)

glennr1978
The Radium, when run on a proper HQI ballast, looks absolutely stellar... second to one of my arrays ;)

Agreed....sort of. Besides the fact that I've yet to see an sps tank thrive long term with leds (by thrive mean ALL sps thrive not just certain pieces) I like radiums because of their simplicity. You get great color and growth with one simple bulb. I'm only running a pair of 250w radiums (galaxy ballast and lumenmax elites) over my prop tank with no other supplemental lighting and all of the corals look outstanding, from zoas to sps amd everything in between. I'll be posting pics sometime soon :)

TheKleinReef

Update:

• moved the halides down 1"
  • added about 75mL of phosban run passively in the bubble trap section
  • 2 new coral from LFS (which need IDs)
  • 2 new coral from the 29g
  • 12 new cerith snails

Parameters as of today:

Temp: 79.5

SG: 1.025

Ca: 400ppm

Alk: 8.3 dKH

mag: 1500ppm ( i can't get it down, i might have a bad test kit)

iphone pics ( ihaven't edited the DSLR pics yet):

3C0BE81F-3B11-48B6-8F5B-E8157454A667-786

unkown acro 1:

B84720A5-5411-4B6F-B718-5A933EA6B5CC-803

unkown acro 2:

`7F6FFB83-8563-407C-91B4-51C69B5E20AE-803

Coral List:

• bali green slimer with blue tips
  • garf bonsai
  • birds of paradise
  • red and green birdsnest: 3 colonies, 2 med frags, 4 small frags
  • pink birdnsest: 2 small frags
  • acro desalwii
  • purple rim monti (2.5" across)
  • red moti (2.5" across)
  • neon "tree coral"
  • pinwheel plate
  • galaxae coral
  • zoas: fire and ice, blue somethings, and bam bams
  • pulsing xenia on its own plug
  • GSP on its own rock
TheKleinReef

Unknown acro 2 is awesome. Id love to have a piece of it :D

I love its growth pattern, hopefully it keeps the tabling formation. Maybe once it gets bigger i can get some to you? Maybe a trade or something? ;)

I love its growth pattern, hopefully it keeps the tabling formation. Maybe once it gets bigger i can get some to you? Maybe a trade or something? ;)

Sounds like a great idea :D

TheKleinReef

Awesome setup, just stopping by exact dimensions i'm planning for my next upgrade :)

The only dem i would change is the length. if i could do it over i would have gone 6'x'2'x1' but ah well. these dems rock for a frag tank, if this was a display i would have made it 16" tall and out of glass. good luck with the upgrade!

What will separate your thread, make your tank amazing, and put some serious chedda in ur pocket

If you have ridiculous SPS growth shots

And im not talking bout no scrub birdnests either

I'm talking full on Red Dragon, Pearlberry, 20k lokanis :D

Good luck, see you then...

TheKleinReef

What will separate your thread, make your tank amazing, and put some serious chedda in ur pocket

If you have ridiculous SPS growth shots

And im not talking bout no scrub birdnests either

I'm talking full on Red Dragon, Pearlberry, 20k lokanis :D

Good luck, see you then...

gotta start somewhere. this tanks only 2 months old. haven't had enough time to get it stable enough to stock the nicer stuff.

TheKleinReef

Just had my first ever heater failure. My stealth pro heater that i've had for bout 5 or so years was leaking stray current into the water. At around 6 i was doing my usual detritus stir up routine and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, then at around 9 i noticed my slimer frag fell over somehow so i reached in a felt a nasty ZING in my fingertips (where you get those little rips in your skin right by the nail you know?) and i was surprised So turned off a variety of power sources sure enough it was coming from my heater! So i unplugged it and nervously put my hand in..... felt nothing.

whewww. that coulda been bad. luckily i caught it within the first few hours. That could have been bad. As of right now all fish, coral, and shrimp are doing just fine.

TheKleinReef

Archived